Recommendation please: What's the best discman model these days?
Jan 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

meurglys0

100+ Head-Fier
I have been using a Sony D-EJ915 for about 5 years now. It proved to be very durable, considering I have used it extensively; for at least 4 hours each day, traveling everywhere in the pocket of my coat in the winter, and in a school bag in the summer. I am still using it although the lip of the lid has been broken and the repairman in the neighborhood modified it so it works with the lid open; I stuck a piece of a toothpick into the place where the lip used to be, to hold the lid from coming down and pressing on the cd while it spins; otherwise the cd doesn't spin and the music stops! Also, sometimes the discman only sees say 5 tracks even though there are more tracks on the cd than that; whenever this happens, I have to take out the batteries and put them back in to reset the discman, so it reads the number of tracks on the disc properly!

Funny stuff ha? And I'm still using it...

Anyway... Now I want to buy a new discman. I don't want to buy a mp3 player for reasons I don't want to discuss in this thread...

- I want it to be able to play mp3, cd-r and cd-rw cds also. Other formats such as HDCD, SACD, DVD-audio etc.. compatibility are also desirable, if there are players out there with these capabilities.

- Shock protection / anti-skip / G-protection (I believe all these are the same) is of course necessary.

- D-EJ915 use flat batteries and the battery compartment is under the disc; 1400 mAh rechargeable NiMH Prismatic is what is written on them... I'd really prefer the new discman I'm buying to use these flat batteries as their thinness and battery compartment being inside the discman makes it remarkably thin, and the batteries do not need recharging everyday. Of course if there are even more advantageous battery selections out there, I'd like to hear about them.

- I have been very pleased with the sound quality of D-EJ915, so I want to have the same results with the new one also. This is of course essential.

- And the volume level has been mostly satisfactory with D-EJ915, and I really care for loudness! I guess I've already lost some of my hearing, so I need volume! If the new discman turns out to have a low volume, it would be the most disappointing thing for me!

- I don't care for remote control. It was the first part of my D-EJ915 that was broken; and it is pretty much useless for me as I don't like skipping tracks, except when there's not enough time to complete the whole album. Usually the case is that either I like an album, or not. I'm not a pop music listener, so I never deal with albums with one hit song etc. Also, the remote increases the weight on the earphone cable, which is not desirable at all. However, if the discman I decide to buy in the end has a remote control, that wouldn't make me change my desicion to buy it either.

- I don't care if the discman has or has not an lcd display... I know my albums well, I don't need a display.

- Earphones that come with the discman is not that important, as I can buy new ones if I don't like them...

- I don't care for a radio tuner. I never listen to radio, for I mostly listen to progressive rock of the 70's, which gets no airplay where I live.

- The price; the models at Amazon.com range between 25 to 150 $. I can go up to 350$. I believe there's no model that expensive, though, is there?

I guess that's all for now.

I need your experience and knowledge to recommend me what models I should be including in my list of candidates. Please help me make my decision.

Thanks in advance.

Regards to all.

Jan 9, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #2 of 2
Sony is the usual way to go, but also check out Panasonic.
Ive heard a few panasonic CD players and they sound really good also.
I dont know where you can hear them though, because theyre sold sealed and not usually opened for an audition.
Also try to get one with a line-out jack so you can amp it if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back