Recommendation on portable amps for Westone 3?
Mar 16, 2010 at 7:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

loftystew

New Head-Fier
I've been looking around the forum for quite awhile and decided that maybe I should give this a post and hopefully some recommendation are given.

I'm currently looking for a portable amp that are suitable with my W3. I've been using W3 for about 1+ year together with my Ipod Classic 6G and decided that it is time I get an amp to go with it.

I have picked out 2 portable amps after reading through the forum, they are:
  1. FiiO E5
  2. Go-Vibe Derringer

Picked them out purely based on their size since I'm looking for an amp that are really portable (small) and easy to carry around. Does these 2 amps go well with W3? Any other amps that are about the same size and goes well with W3 that you can recommend me to look into?

Thanks for helping me out.

Edit : I read reports on FiiO E3 blowing up some IEM but didn't saw any such report on E5, so can I assume FiiO E5 is safe to use with W3?

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #2 of 16
FIIO E1, XIN SMIV, E5...........

Mar 16, 2010 at 9:39 AM Post #3 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
FIIO E1, XIN SMIV, E5...........

E1 would be one of my choices to consider if only the cable wasn't that damn long. I can't imagine how long the length will be when connected to my W3.

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #4 of 16
You could also consider the Nuforce Icon Mobile, iBasso T4 and T3, Headstage Arrow, ALO Rx, and RSA Shadow. That said, those amps range in price from around $100 to $400, so you've got a lot of choice depending on how much you're looking to spend and what kind of sound signature you want.

Mar 17, 2010 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 16
ALO Double Mini 3, Nuforce icon mobile, Mustang and Arrow with quality cable like ALO 18AWG CXS dock cable, ALO 18AWG Jumbo Cryo dock.

Mar 17, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #8 of 16
ALO Rx or the RSA Predator.

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #10 of 16
I believe the W3 are very similar to the um3x (which I owned) in the sense that they are very sensitive.
I have the T4 and the um3x do indeed hiss with it.
With music playing (depending on the type of music, how loud you listen, ect) this may or may not be audible to you.

Some food for thought.

Mar 17, 2010 at 2:11 PM Post #11 of 16
I use my W3s with my D4 with topkit. Probably too big for your requirements though, and a little less convenient without a built in battery. With a high quality LOD, the improvement over the iphone 3g headphone output is noticeable but not dramatic IMHO. The W3s already sound good out of the headphone out.

May I ask what you hope to get out of an amp? The W3s are notorious for not really needing or generally benefitting from an amp like other IEMs such as the UM3X or RE0, and I'm especially not sure how much of an improvement a cheaper amp like the fiio e5 would even be? I think normally people get an amp like the fiio to get a little more volume or to get a bass boost - neither of which I would think you'd need with the W3s. Another reason to look at an amp would be if your source doesn't have a great or powerful headphone output. I'm not too familiar with the ipod 6G headphone out and how it compares to, say, the iphone which is known to have a pretty good headphone out, but if it's close or similar to the iphone, you may find that an ultra portable amp won't be enough of an improvement to even be worth the inconvenience and could potentially sound worse. To get the most benefit, remember that you'll also need a LOD which will be added cost and also added equipment to carry.

I don't want to say don't get one for sure, I'm just curious what your rationale is and what you're hoping to get out of it. If you think you "need" one because you read about a lot of people getting amps for their headphones and IEMs, that may not be the best reason, particularly with the W3s. On the other hand, if there is a particular deficiency you're looking to correct, let us know your goals and we can help to provide the best solution.

Mar 18, 2010 at 5:37 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by pj_rage /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use my W3s with my D4 with topkit. Probably too big for your requirements though, and a little less convenient without a built in battery. With a high quality LOD, the improvement over the iphone 3g headphone output is noticeable but not dramatic IMHO. The W3s already sound good out of the headphone out.

May I ask what you hope to get out of an amp? The W3s are notorious for not really needing or generally benefitting from an amp like other IEMs such as the UM3X or RE0, and I'm especially not sure how much of an improvement a cheaper amp like the fiio e5 would even be? I think normally people get an amp like the fiio to get a little more volume or to get a bass boost - neither of which I would think you'd need with the W3s. Another reason to look at an amp would be if your source doesn't have a great or powerful headphone output. I'm not too familiar with the ipod 6G headphone out and how it compares to, say, the iphone which is known to have a pretty good headphone out, but if it's close or similar to the iphone, you may find that an ultra portable amp won't be enough of an improvement to even be worth the inconvenience and could potentially sound worse. To get the most benefit, remember that you'll also need a LOD which will be added cost and also added equipment to carry.

I don't want to say don't get one for sure, I'm just curious what your rationale is and what you're hoping to get out of it. If you think you "need" one because you read about a lot of people getting amps for their headphones and IEMs, that may not be the best reason, particularly with the W3s. On the other hand, if there is a particular deficiency you're looking to correct, let us know your goals and we can help to provide the best solution.

Well, I don't think mine would be a great reason to get an amp. I just wanted to try getting an amp and a LOD and see (or rather hear) what changes it might bring to my W3.

I don't know, maybe I'm bored with my W3 or something but you did asked a good question.

Mar 18, 2010 at 12:51 PM Post #13 of 16
Well a cheapish LOD and the fiio e5 isn't a lot of investment to just try out. If you're curious, try it out and let us know what you think! I wish I could tell you for certain how it would sound, but I can't as I haven't heard it or heard of anyone who's tried. I'm inclined to think it wouldn't necessarily sound better than what you have now, but I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds a little different different. And who knows, maybe the different sound is just what you're looking for.

If you're still really curious about getting something a little better, and want something that meets your requirements, try out the iBasso T3. It gets great reviews, is tiny, has a rechargeable battery, and stands to show at least a slight improvement over what you're using now.

Really, even if what you achieve with either setup is mostly placebo effect, that alone may be enough to warrant spending a little cash and getting you reinvigorated about your W3s, and giving you some fun stuff to play with and try.

I didn't mean to turn you completely off from an amp, it's just that I've heard a lot of people say that the W3s don't benefit from an amp like other IEMs (and headphones) do, so I just wanted to make sure you know that and what you're getting into.

Mar 18, 2010 at 1:18 PM Post #14 of 16
Not sure about your reasons to get an amp, but here are my thoughts. IMHO the best reason is to reduce the possible introduction of hiss from low ohm and overly sensitive iem’s or high ohm hard to drive phones which isn’t your case here. If you are just looking for something inexpensive to test out, then possibly the FiiO may be the way to go, but as nattonrice stated above from personal experience you might think twice. I have also read that cheap amps like the FiiO introduce hiss and crosstalk, so it's possible your phones will work better without it. If size is important and you decided to spend more, dfkt told me the Headstage Arrow works very well driving overly sensitive iem’s and doesn’t introduce hiss into the equation. On a personal note, I use the Pico/DAC portable which works equally great driving sensitive phones like the ue11s and now I’m waiting on the Pico Slim which I believe should work better for portables with greater attenuation from the digital pots, but these are certainly not cheap solutions. Just some food for thought and let us know what you get and how you like
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:22 AM Post #15 of 16
Was thinking about iBasso T3 but might not worth the money if it only offer slight improvement. Saw the Pico Slim and like how it look, not sure how it sound though.

I think I will hold off till Pico Slim arrive in my country and see how it goes. I will save up more money in the meantime.
tongue.gif

Thanks everyone for taking time in advising me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back