Recommendation on high-end IEM after UE SuperFi 5 Pro
Jul 14, 2009 at 1:08 AM Post #16 of 20
I moved from full portables (HD 25-1 II) to the IE 8 and considered the latter an improvement in every way, and they did WOW me.

It's about attitude. If you're enthusiastic at all about how the presentation of the music itself then you'll be able to justify spending hundreds of dollars on what may appear to be an incremental upgrade. If you can listen to pieces of your collection with new discovery and vitality to each track as I did, then the investment quickly becomes worth it. On the other hand if you don't care about the presentation and are more into just the intrinsic character of the music itself, independent of equipment, then no investment beyond modestly capable headphones would be worth it.

The fact of the matter is that the Westone 3, or any high-end earphone, will present your music differently. It won't be the same.

Jul 14, 2009 at 6:45 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by MinMay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just put my trigger away after reading TobaccoRoad's comment.

So you don't think it's worth to spend about $350 for another IEM set when I already owned a SF5P? I would hate to spend the money to find no difference with my current SF5P set. Personally, I think the SF5P has no bass or any "wow" factor. So, that's why I"m considering the purchase of a new set.

Unfortunately, I don't have tons of money coming out of my wazoo, but I like to treat myself with a nice electronic gadget from time to time.

I my personal opinion, the SF5 PRO is mid-range, and the Westone 3, Um3x, Se530, TF10PRo, and IE8 are in the Top-Tier category. I myself thought the improvement from the UE700 to the even just the Earsonics Sm2 (Dual Driver) was fa nominal. So i would say it's worth it. I would also like a cuple others recommend the Westone 3 after looking at your taste of music, and thoughts on the SF5 PRO.

Also, Welcome to Head-Fi, Sorry about your wallet
biggrin.gif

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #19 of 20
SF5pro is a nice IEM. Decent overall sound. TF10 pro is the dance hall.

Jul 14, 2009 at 8:50 AM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the type of music you prefer, the Westone 3s may be the earphones for you. It has a strong but not overpowering base, a nice high frequency extension, a good sound stage, and many other audio characteristics you can read about on other posts here at head-fi. The fit is a bit more difficult than the Shure SE530s or Westone UM3X, but probably easier and more secure than the Super.Fi 5 Pros. With the foam tips, isolation is good, better than the Super.Fi 5 Pros. A real bonus is that microphonics from the cord is much improved over the Super.Fi 5s. Another post suggests there is currently a 12% off Westone 3 sale at EarphoneSolutions if you enter code JULY4. I can't verify this.

Research and have fun making your selection.

That's my post!
smily_headphones1.gif

So yes, I can verify it. Hopefully I will have my new W3 tomorrow! Using JULY4 as a coupon code will give you a 12% (+/- $50 if you order the W3's) discount on any order @ FMA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back