Recommendation on high-end IEM after UE SuperFi 5 Pro
Jul 13, 2009 at 3:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

MinMay

Head-Fier
Hello,

Currently, I own the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro set. I thought I lost my Ultimate Ears several weeks ago, so I decided to research on this forum for recommendation. I found my Ultimate Ears yesterday
smily_headphones1.gif
but after all the research, I'm still looking to upgrade.

Do you think the high-end IEM models listed below is worth upgrading from the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro? Should I expect a big difference in the upgrade?

- Sennheiser IE8
- Shure SE530
- Westone UM3X

Please help me decide which one do you recommend? Since I have the Ultimate Ears SuperFi 5 Pro already, I'm thinking of a new set that will be different from it. I hate to spend $400 on one of these IEM and to find out that I won't hear much of a difference.

Based on the info below, which one do you think it is worth purchasing that will make a huge improvement from my current Ultimate Ears set?

Player: mainly from Iphone/Ipod/etc
Music Genre: breakbeat, pop, trance, dance, slow

Thanks in advance,
MinMay

Jul 13, 2009 at 4:25 PM Post #3 of 20
Since I have the Ultimate Ears 5 Pro already, I'm not a huge fan of the design anymore. I'm hoping to try something different this time around.

Is the triple.fi 10 better than the 3 models mentioned above?

Also, my Ultimate Ears 5 Pro cable stopped working within 9 months. It took them over 3 months to send me a replacement cable. They said it was out of stock. I liked the new cable they sent for the replacement because the original cable did not connect to the Iphone without an adapter. The new cable can fit the Iphone without any adapter.

Thanks,
MinMay

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
why you not including the triple.fi 10 in there?

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:10 PM Post #7 of 20
I have no preference in isolation. I guess, the more isolation, then the better.

What is the definition by "sound signature"? Sorry for the amateur question
smily_headphones1.gif
I want something different from the Ultimate Ears 5 Pro. I think my Ultimate Ears 5 Pro has very little bass...I hear mostly the mid and treble. I want something new that I can say "WOW...this new set is awesome...better than Ultimate Ears 5 Pro".

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark2410 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ah

next questions. how much isolation do you want and what kind of sound signature?

Jul 13, 2009 at 5:55 PM Post #9 of 20
TBH, the TF10 sound signature seems like it suits u if you listen to that music.

Jul 13, 2009 at 10:32 PM Post #10 of 20
Thanks everyone for their input.

Gosh, now I might opt for the Westone 3 then
smily_headphones1.gif

jecklinsmile.gif

Thanks Scott. I'm going to avoid the Frankestein set for now since I don't want to own another one.

Jul 13, 2009 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 20
For the type of music you prefer, the Westone 3s may be the earphones for you. It has a strong but not overpowering base, a nice high frequency extension, a good sound stage, and many other audio characteristics you can read about on other posts here at head-fi. The fit is a bit more difficult than the Shure SE530s or Westone UM3X, but probably easier and more secure than the Super.Fi 5 Pros. With the foam tips, isolation is good, better than the Super.Fi 5 Pros. A real bonus is that microphonics from the cord is much improved over the Super.Fi 5s. Another post suggests there is currently a 12% off Westone 3 sale at EarphoneSolutions if you enter code JULY4. I can't verify this.

Research and have fun making your selection.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:20 AM Post #12 of 20
Thanks for another recommendation on the Westone 3 based on my music genre.
atsmile.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by IpodHappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the type of music you prefer, the Westone 3s may be the earphones for you. It has a strong but not overpowering base, a nice high frequency extension, a good sound stage, and many other audio characteristics you can read about on other posts here at head-fi. The fit is a bit more difficult than the Shure SE530s or Westone UM3X, but probably easier and more secure than the Super.Fi 5 Pros. With the foam tips, isolation is good, better than the Super.Fi 5 Pros. A real bonus is that microphonics from the cord is much improved over the Super.Fi 5s. Another post suggests there is currently a 12% off Westone 3 sale at EarphoneSolutions if you enter code JULY4. I can't verify this.

Research and have fun making your selection.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #13 of 20
Can't recommend SE530. You'll probably find it boring for your genre. TBH, while you'll hear noticeable difference with TF10 and W3 (heard IE8 but for very short amount of time, never heard UM3X, although I will soon), I doubt you'll be satisfied with your investment considering spending $300+ and the fact that you found your SF5P. I'm guessing you're new on the forum, which I am as well. While many members here have the desire to spend hundreds for the slight improvement, that is certainly not my case (I learned the hard way. Trust me it's depressing). You might be curious and have the demand for a better SQ, if so make sure to check out the return policy in case you're not satisfied. But IMO you should keep your SF5P. No reason to upgrade from a $200 IEM without a specific reason.

Jul 14, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #14 of 20
Actually I'm coming from a similar situation, I have a UE Super5 EB and I have it EQ'd to Classical on my Samsung Yp-T9. I want to upgrade to either FX500 or IE8's but I'm hoping they'll wow me. Are you saying I might be disappointed with the jump in improvement?

Jul 14, 2009 at 1:05 AM Post #15 of 20
I just put my trigger away after reading TobaccoRoad's comment.

So you don't think it's worth to spend about $350 for another IEM set when I already owned a SF5P? I would hate to spend the money to find no difference with my current SF5P set. Personally, I think the SF5P has no bass or any "wow" factor. So, that's why I"m considering the purchase of a new set.

Unfortunately, I don't have tons of money coming out of my wazoo, but I like to treat myself with a nice electronic gadget from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back