Recommendation of DAC/amp for ATH-AD900x
Feb 3, 2015 at 5:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

ShinOokami

New Head-Fier
ok, i just bought the ATH-AD900x and to get most out of these i am going to need a DAC. (still a few days before I receive them

i am considering getting a Portable dac/amp so i can also exploit these cans from my laptop aswell as desktop, and also maybe phone (bit unsure as they are open-air)

so far i am looking at the FiiO's but 1) they are expensive, and 2) no idea if i should go for the E18, E17k (is this phone compatible), E07k or the E10k (not phone compatible).

Feb 3, 2015 at 9:07 AM Post #2 of 6
If the Fiio are above your budget, then I'm not sure you should buy anything. What I would do is try the AD900X when you get them. Use them for a couple of weeks. If you like the sound after that, then don't worry about the dac/amp until later (if ever). If you think the volume is low, then you can first just get a portable amp - not a dac/amp. The Fiio E11K is only $60. It really doesn't get cheaper than that - at least not with decent quality sound. The DAC can wait - the amp, if your headphones need it, is more important.

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:10 PM Post #3 of 6
oh i am quite sure i do not need the Amp part, my phone and laptop and desktop can all drive a DT990 up to confortable soundlvl's and into (barly) the painfully high. but the DAC that is something i do not really trust from any integrated source. (though suposidly my desktop mobo has a very good one)

this is why i am strongly considering a Portable DAC

or am i just being stupid having no idea what i am talking about?

Sincerely ShinOokami

Edit: forgot to mention the DT990 i tested with was 250ohm

Feb 3, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #4 of 6
  oh i am quite sure i do not need the Amp part, my phone and laptop and desktop can all drive a DT990 up to confortable soundlvl's and into (barly) the painfully high. but the DAC that is something i do not really trust from any integrated source. (though suposidly my desktop mobo has a very good one)

this is why i am strongly considering a Portable DAC

or am i just being stupid having no idea what i am talking about?

Sincerely ShinOokami

Edit: forgot to mention the DT990 i tested with was 250ohm

These really don't care about source that much. The differences in my best sources compared to my poorest are pretty marginal. I wouldn't sweat it, honestly. 

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:16 PM Post #5 of 6
AD900X are fairly easy to drive. I would suggest looking into the Audioquest Dragonfly 1.2. A USB stick dac/headphone amp like that is extremely portable for use with your laptop.

Feb 3, 2015 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 6
You cannot *only* have a DAC. If you have a DAC, then you will also have an amp after the DAC. IMHO, you are heading down the wrong path. Adding a DAC/amp to headphones that are already driven well by your current soundcard is a relatively minor difference - regardless of what you may have read elsewhere. Just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back