recommendation needed for an "audiophile" SACD Changer
Aug 22, 2008 at 3:20 AM Post #16 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You're still slightly wrong ...
The Oppo 980 will allow the native DSD datastream to be output thru its HDMI output, which can then get decoded by a HT receiver with DSD DAC

Here is what I wrote:

Originally Posted by wavoman:
... Some A/V receivers have HDMI in, so you could use the Oppo to feed one of them with the downconverted SACD signal if that helps.
I was trying to make the exact same point as you -- use a fancy new receiver with HDMI inputs to capture the SACD output from the Oppo -- but I see my error: it is in fact the native DSD bitstream that Oppo puts on the HDMI output, not the PCM 24/88.2

Thanks, got it! Good point!

That's actually worse for PC Audio folks who want to put a track from some nice SACD into their PC playlist ... for that we need the PCM 24/88.2 !

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:31 AM Post #17 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by soundboy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Oppo 980 ... will downconvert the DSD datastream ...thru its analog output. However, the word is that the conversion is rather transparent and sound quality doesn't suffer.

I love my Oppo but I don't agree with that. At the recent NJ meet we carefully listened to the digital outs of the Oppo thru high-quality DACs (then into various amps and high-end phones) and were very impressed -- the Oppo is one helluva transport for very little money. But then we fed the analog output of the Oppo thru a decent amp and the same phones, and were not happy with the SQ.

I think the Oppo falls down in D-to-A.

Aug 22, 2008 at 3:39 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

By the way--is "SPDI/F" another way of saying 'digital outputs'?

... Until recently, there're two types of digital outputs: Toslink and coax.

It's usually written S/PDIF and stands for "Sony/Phillips Digital Interface Format". I do believe both Toslink and 75-ohm coax use this bitstream protocol -- the only difference is the physical medium, so strictly speaking both are S/PDIF.

Of course in the real world most gear labels the RCA or BNC coax connector as "S/PDIF", and the Toslink as "Optical" or "Toslink", hence the confusion.

There are many other types of digital output:

AES/EBU -- this is the pro version of S/PDIF. Well not exactly S/PDIF, but very similar, with advanced features. Runs over 110-ohm coax with XLR connectors.

I2S -- runs over Ethernet, used in PC Audio applications.

USB Audio -- runs over USB (obviously), and again used mainly in PC Audio.

and the pros use Firewire even without PCs. And so on. Sony I think has or had another proprietary digital audio protocol.

In consumer electronics, I would say "S/PDIF" is short-hand for "digital audio over coax cables, usually with RCA connectors".

The PC audio stuff is pretty new, which is why soundboy said "until recently" in his answer.

Aug 23, 2008 at 3:04 PM Post #19 of 20
Thanks to all ya'll!!

I'm still readin' up on this... there's a lot that's brand new to me, so re-reading is a requirement before I make a decision.

Soundboy, have you heard both the Marantz VC-6001 and the Sony CE-595?

Thank you.

Aug 24, 2008 at 4:50 AM Post #20 of 20
I believe Yamaha also has a unit; if its built on similar technology as the S1700 universal, it could be a winner

EV_dvdc961.jpg

Yamaha DVD-C961 (product page / Audioholics report)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back