Recommendation: META or Ear+?
Feb 2, 2003 at 5:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

BDA_ABAT

1000+ Head-Fier
Howdy all! I was hoping to get some feedback from folks about sonic comparissons between a well configured META vs Mapletree Ear+. Unfortunately, I've not had a chance to hear much tube equipment so I do not know if the "tube sound" is something that I'd like. Was hoping to get impressions from folks here that may have more experience with SS and tubes.

Cans: Ety ER4S, Grado 125
Music: mostly rock, progressive jazz, with a smattering of classical
Souce: Pioneer DV603

Thanks!
Bruce

Feb 2, 2003 at 7:03 PM Post #2 of 9
I would vote for the ear+. I have not heard it .. but read in a review that it meshes very well with grado's. While at the same time being suitable for up to 300 ohm cans. Uses the same tubes as the ASL MG/OTL head i bieleve...which i own and love.

Feb 2, 2003 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 9
Ask Nick.......calling Nick......calling Nick!!!!!
very_evil_smiley.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 10:13 AM Post #4 of 9
The META is an excellent design, no doubt about it. It's the default choice for value in solid state amplification. However, seeing as how my title is Mr. Tuberrific... I'll defend my name and recommend the Ear+. It delivers a hybrid sound similar to the Melos SHA-1 when paired with Grados. It isn't a "tubey" sounding amp in the classic sense... but certainly possesses enough valve character to have fun with. It's also fun to put together even if you're a newbie.

Need another reason? MAD gear looks cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by Nick Dangerous
Need another reason? MAD gear looks cool.
smily_headphones1.gif

Need another reason, there is an special sell on an assempled one for the price of the kit right now, 335 assembled in the MAD website, it was the prototype Dr. Peppard uses in the lab, (it has a covered hole, not noticeable at all, in the back) but is a bargain anyway...so go for it man!!!!

Feb 3, 2003 at 5:59 PM Post #7 of 9
wasifazim ...

so it was YOU!!! you got there first...I was so sad when Llyod said it was sold to someone in Canada....

when we invade, ill be sure to stop by to pick up the MAD
tongue.gif

enjoy it!! please post your impressions

Feb 3, 2003 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 9
nanahachi, don't worry, it was in fact a really good price, but it had an extra hole in the chassis, for a rectifier tube that never was installed, as he decided later to do it by another method, nothing is perfect, did Dr. Peppard told you about that? That was the reason of the cheap price and according to what he told me the tubes were also a used set, so maybe at the end you are won't gonna like it, well at least I refused it when I was told about that.....
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif

Feb 3, 2003 at 7:37 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally posted by nanahachi
wasifazim ...

so it was YOU!!! you got there first...I was so sad when Llyod said it was sold to someone in Canada....

when we invade, ill be sure to stop by to pick up the MAD
tongue.gif

enjoy it!! please post your impressions

Will do..I had Lloyd bypass the balance control (it was just an extra potentiometer in the signal path, and who uses balance controls anyway) and install an Alps Blue Velvet volume pot. I've got a couple of nice 5751s waiting for it (Tung Sol and black plate GE) and NOS 12B4A tubes are pretty affordable, so I'm all set
smily_headphones1.gif

- Wasif

P.S. If you're ever in town, feel free to drop by and check it out..no invasion necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back