[Recommendation] IEM - Bass/electronic music focus - $200-$250 budget
Feb 5, 2015 at 4:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Tjalling

New Head-Fier
Hey all.

I'm looking for some recommendations for my next IEM purchase. My Etymotics Research HF5s have died, and I'm looking for something completely different. While the HF5s sounded pretty accurate and true to me, the bass was absolutely lacking. I mostly listen to EDM and other electronic music (not only, but mostly), so that's why I won't go for them again.

Anyway, I've done a little bit of research, and the RHA T10i seem to be a popular choice in this price range and sound signature (not too mention that they look nice). However, I'm open to any and all suggestions, especially from those of you that have quite a bit of your own comparative experience.

I won't be using a portable DAC/AMP, so I'm not looking anything that's hard to drive, though in this price range I doubt that'd be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 5, 2015 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 9
  Hey all.

I'm looking for some recommendations for my next IEM purchase. My Etymotics Research HF5s have died, and I'm looking for something completely different. While the HF5s sounded pretty accurate and true to me, the bass was absolutely lacking. I mostly listen to EDM and other electronic music (not only, but mostly), so that's why I won't go for them again.

Anyway, I've done a little bit of research, and the RHA T10i seem to be a popular choice in this price range and sound signature (not too mention that they look nice). However, I'm open to any and all suggestions, especially from those of you that have quite a bit of your own comparative experience.

I won't be using a portable DAC/AMP, so I'm not looking anything that's hard to drive, though in this price range I doubt that'd be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

Audio Technica CKR10 sounds like a great match for you. 

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:41 AM Post #3 of 9

Audio Technica CKR10 sounds like a great match for you. 

Thank you for your suggestion. From what I've read so far, they really do sound like a match for me.

However, it seems like this model either has to be imported, or is otherwise difficult to get (e.g. not in stock in AT's own shop). Furthermore, in my country they seem to be downright impossible to order.

So, do you have any other options that I may consider?

Feb 6, 2015 at 11:53 AM Post #4 of 9
You might wanna check on Sennheiser IE80 if you find them at the price you seek (since they are usually ~300$ but nowadays possible to find cheaper, as low as 200$ with some retailers). Tons of good sub bass, pretty accurate for dynamic driver earphone but have some mid bass issues, mid bass might interfere with mids, tho that is important only with bass guitar and deep voice vocal jazz... so with electronic music it could be great choice!

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:16 PM Post #5 of 9
  You might wanna check on Sennheiser IE80 if you find them at the price you seek (since they are usually ~300$ but nowadays possible to find cheaper, as low as 200$ with some retailers). Tons of good sub bass, pretty accurate for dynamic driver earphone but have some mid bass issues, mid bass might interfere with mids, tho that is important only with bass guitar and deep voice vocal jazz... so with electronic music it could be great choice!

Fantastic recommendation, thank you. I really like that they allow for bass adjustment with the tiny screws that they have; helps adjust the feeling depending on the type of music.

However, in a recent other recommendation thread, linked here, it seems that a fellow forum member that was looking for roughly the same as I am, was a little bit disappointed with them. However, since they're regarded so well otherwise I'm more than willing to give it a shot anyway.

For me, now, it feels like I have to make a choice between the IE80s and RHA T10i. If anyone has any other suggestions or experience with either or both of these, I'd be very happy to hear from them.

Feb 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM Post #6 of 9

For me, now, it feels like I have to make a choice between the IE80s and RHA T10i. If anyone has any other suggestions or experience with either or both of these, I'd be very happy to hear from them.

Seen a lot of nice stuff about RHA T10i but never heard them so can't comment on their comparison, it might be better than IE80.
Yeah that bass option is nice, but it has plenty on minimum too, I personally never crank it up...
The only flaw I have with IE80 is that mid bass "bloat" (around 150-200 Hz frequencies), it interferes with mids on some vocal jazz stuff and music with a lot of bass guitar, so it makes ti less clear ("mudded"), but I enjoy very much any kind of electronic music with them, bass is strong and it gives you that feel, sense of space, really good soundstage.
Tho from what I've read T10i seems to be extremely good as well, maybe worth trying to find some direct comparisons. 
Good luck in your search! 

Feb 6, 2015 at 5:22 PM Post #7 of 9
Alright, I've made my decision. I will order the IE80s. There's just too much in terms of great reviews, as well as the reputation of Sennheiser that I know and love, to go for a brand that I don't know (though I remain, unfortunately, easily impressed by aesthetics, and the T10i do look very nice...).

Thank you, again, for your recommendation and advice, Tail, as well as ZapX62. :)

Feb 8, 2015 at 8:30 PM Post #9 of 9

You can have a second great pair of IEM's for under 40 bucks. Check out the TTPOD T1E. These are the extended bass model. I mainly use a Triple Fi 10, but when I want some bass, I grab the TTPOD's, and when I do, I'm always pleased. Great for Hip Hop, EDM and old school Electronica. And, the pair perfectly with an iPhone 6, no amp needed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back