recommendation: headphones for rock
Aug 30, 2009 at 6:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

billybobjr

New Head-Fier
i listen to alot of rock/punk. currently really into the smashing pumpkins. i just wana make them sound betterer ( : . my price range is $250 - $300. recommend away.

thanks ( :

Aug 30, 2009 at 6:59 AM Post #2 of 11
Simple: Grados all the way. You will likely be happy with either Grado SR-225(i)'s, SR-325(i(s))'s or Alessandro (also by Grado) MS-2i's, for that price range. For about $350, you could even get a used pair of RS-2's. I think it's not debatable that Grados shine best when creating guitar "transients". Basically, they are geared toward rock/alternative/punk/guitar timbre-heavy music. (Mind you, I like my SR-325is's for most genres.) You could also go with the SR-60i or MS-1i if you'd rather spend about $100 or less to find out if the aggressive, forward Grado style is right for you. Welcome to Head-fi, by the way!!!
beyersmile.png

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:11 AM Post #3 of 11
x2 Grados. If you're lucky, you may get the RS2 for around $300. If you prefer the in your face rock, then the top two prestige lines (SR225 and SR325) will fit the need. If however, you prefer something more musical and less bright than the SR325, the Alessandro's is the best replacement. I think your price range is very ideal. I find it all too often, myself included, that starting at the low end will inevitably lead to where you should have started in the first place. I started with the SR60 and moved up to the RS1i all within 6 months! For electrics, you may find the top prestige lines more fun and matching. For acoustics, there is no other choice than the reference series.

Have fun.

Aug 30, 2009 at 7:47 AM Post #4 of 11
ive read that the Audio Technica AD900s were also pretty good for rock, can anyone confirm?

ive heard the ad700s before, and thought they were a little light on bass. How much more would i expect from the 900s?

Aug 30, 2009 at 8:21 AM Post #7 of 11
I would recommend the Alessandro MS1, it's by far the best Grado for the money. It and the sr225 are the only budget Grado headphones I even like. I would avoid the MS2 and sr325 like the plague though. If you can bust your budget though, try and get an RS1. Otherwise, aim for an MS1 or sr225.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:02 AM Post #8 of 11
Proud owner of MS1i. I wasn't expecting much at first but was blown away by the sound signature of Grado. Try a lower end Grado first and see if it fits your taste, then upgrade to something more serious if you like it.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:26 AM Post #9 of 11
this grado/rock combo has become more of a blind formula, OP, if I were you I would be a bit supicious. Of course there are other great HP's for rock, Beyer dt880, ad900, k601, to mention a few that imo sound better overall than the typical grado/alexandro counterparts.

Aug 30, 2009 at 9:31 AM Post #10 of 11
Grado HF-2 but there are OOP and more than $250. Maybe a Gradophile can recommend anothre Grado in that price range that sounds like the HF2 but I doubt it. The HF2 is very unGrado sounding to these ears. Just a GREAT rock-n-roll can!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back