Recommendation for SE535 upgrade
Sep 13, 2021 at 11:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jeromekwok

New Head-Fier
I need some advice. I am currently using Shure SE535 and Apple Airpods Max. I would like to have something better to replace SE535.

I like the sound of Airpods Max in general. The bass and clarity are good, but the vocal sound could be better.
Since it is too big to carry around, I cannot take it with me every day.

I have SE535 for 10 years. I love the sound of SE535 very much, especially the vocal. The bass is lacking depending on the type of songs.
I recently fell in love with YOASOBI songs - which there are many instruments playing. It is hard for SE535 to keep up.
Therefore I would like to replace SE535 with something better on the bass and clarity.

I would like to use FiiO UTWS3 bluetooth adapter with the earphones most of the time for convenience. It would be great if it is easy to drive and with MMCX port.

I have tried below earphones with FiiO BTR5:

*Campfire Andromeda 2020: It sounds great, but the vocal is not as solid as SE535. The teeth sounds "S" and "T" are completely gone.
It is very annoying to me. I don't know if I tried a bad unit, or it needs more power.

*Sony IER M7: It sounds good. But I don't see much improvement over SE535 overall.

*Shure SE846: It sounds very similar to SE535 with much improved bass. I wanted to buy this, however it is sold out everywhere.

My budget is about $500-800.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions. Thanks.

Sep 13, 2021 at 11:43 PM Post #3 of 7
You might not have to go that high in price. I have the SE535 and it is all balanced armature (BA) drivers and, yes, a little lacking in bass. I also find the upper registers a little metallic.

Shure started out as IEMs for stage use, so it was important that vocals be upfront.

I also have -- and love -- the Tri I3, which has been replaced by the slightly smaller but similar Tri I3 Pro. I3 = three drivers, DD bass (heftier than BA), BA mids and planar treble. Vocals are great and bass is substantial.

You can get them from Amazon, with returns allowed, for $199.
https://www.amazon.com/Monitors-Upg...child=1&keywords=tri+i3&qid=1631590482&sr=8-1

They are a little cheaper, but much harder to return, at AliExpress. Get them from Amazon (if you're in the US) and try them. Since I got them they have gotten a lot more use than the SE535.

Sep 15, 2021 at 2:07 PM Post #4 of 7
Thanks all for your advice. Finally I bought the Shure Aonic 4 at a discount for about $250. I am very happy with it. These sounds very similar to SE535, except the bass is more substantial. I have been using Shure for so many years and it is difficult for me to switch to another brand. I would like to share my first impression comparing to SE535.

The bass is much improved at the right amount. I can feel the impact of the kick drums. The treble is tuned and sounds more pleasure to hear. Sibilants are reduced a bit, but there is no issue hearing Su / Tsu sounds when listening to J-Pop songs. The vocal is still very good, but it sounds a few centimeters away compared to SE535. Depending on the songs, it might be a good thing or bad thing for your taste. SE535 also has a slightly wider sound stage.

I am using FiiO BTR5 2.5mm balanced output using medium size silicone eartips on both SE535 and Aonic 4. I found the 10 years old eartips from the old SE535 are more comfortable and better fit than those come with Aonic 4. It seems Shure had changed the silicone material.

I wanted to try on FiiO UTWS3, but the MMCX pin was damaged when I tried to swap out the earbuds.

It may not be fair to compare Aonic 4 to SE535 as these are for different purposes.
For me, Aonic 4 is a better choice to enjoy music. It worth every penny. I hope this is helpful for other users.

Sep 18, 2021 at 5:59 PM Post #5 of 7
Get the Shure Aonic line.
aonic 4 has better reviews than both 4xx and 5xx Shure IEM. But if you want something similar to 5xx but with better quality, it would probably be Aonic 5 . It’s just that 3 and 4 seem to have better tonality

or save up for 8xx one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back