recommendation for portable bluetooth receivers?
Oct 25, 2020 at 1:04 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

imeem

100+ Head-Fier
my phone (Galaxy Note 4) headphone jack is a bit loose from wear and tear, and now i'm looking at bluetooth receivers.

Someone suggested me the Fiio BTR5, but it's too expensive for me @ ~$150 CAD. Which leads me to the Fiio BTR3k @ ~ $100 CAD, which is still a bit too expensive unless i can justify for it. I am also looking at the HiBy W3, which seems very comparable to the BTR3K at ~$59, but looks like its out of stock.

What other devices do you guys recommend?

Wants:
-bluetooth 5 preferably for futureproofing
-budget is around 50-100$ CAD

-I will be mainly using this for the gym/exercise, and where freedom of movement is important.

My IEMs
-
MEEaudio M6 pro gen 2 (mainly be using the bluetooth receiver with this)
-Westone UM Pro 30 gen 1.

Phone:
Galaxy Note 4. bluetooth version 4.1, i think it only supports the basic aptX.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:15 AM Post #2 of 6
my phone (Galaxy Note 4) headphone jack is a bit loose from wear and tear, and now i'm looking at bluetooth receivers.

Someone suggested me the Fiio BTR5, but it's too expensive for me @ ~$150 CAD. Which leads me to the Fiio BTR3k @ ~ $100 CAD, which is still a bit too expensive unless i can justify for it. I am also looking at the HiBy W3, which seems very comparable to the BTR3K at ~$59, but looks like its out of stock.

Wants:

-I will be mainly using this for the gym/exercise, and where freedom of movement is important.

My IEMs
-

Phone:

Have u considered a BT adapter like the TRN BT20, TRN BT20S, TRN BT20S Pro or iBasso CF01?

They can allow one to pair your detachable IEM with the adapter to be used. They vary from cheapest to most expensive, some have better BT codecs/battery life/water proofing/charging case, so see what suits your needs. The good thing is they allow you to use your favourite IEM that u are familiar with, plus u can keep the IEM if BT tech gets obsolete or battery life dies with repeated charges.

Oct 25, 2020 at 1:43 AM Post #3 of 6

Wants:

My IEMs
-

Phone:

The Earstudio ES100mkii might fit in your price range. In the U.S. its listed as $89 on Amazon right now (but, then again, the BTR5 is listed as $109 as well).
The ES100mkii, BTR5, and BTR3k are probably the most commonly recommended portable DAC/amps for IEMs. I've got the BTR5 and I love it. BTR3k is supposedly just a smaller version with slightly less power. The ES100mkii competes with the BTR5 so it probably would be a step above the BTR3k.
Like you said, its important to future proof yourself and I think any of these would do that (preferably the ES100mkii or BTR5). They're a bit out of your budget for sure, but I think most other sub $100 options will be so close (like $70 to $80 range) that you'd wish you had just put in the extra cash to get the one you want.

As a final note... my BTR5 not only powers my IEMs well but also handles most of my full-sized headphones as well. Future proofing doesn't get much better than that.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:16 AM Post #4 of 6
The Earstudio ES100 ought to do the job.

Oct 25, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #5 of 6
Last edited:
Oct 26, 2020 at 12:40 PM Post #6 of 6
Have u considered a BT adapter like the TRN BT20, TRN BT20S, TRN BT20S Pro or iBasso CF01?

They can allow one to pair your detachable IEM with the adapter to be used. They vary from cheapest to most expensive, some have better BT codecs/battery life/water proofing/charging case, so see what suits your needs. The good thing is they allow you to use your favourite IEM that u are familiar with, plus u can keep the IEM if BT tech gets obsolete or battery life dies with repeated charges.

those won't work with my M6 Pro because it doesn't use MMCX unfortunately.

Have you seen ClieOS's bluetooth reveiver thread? Check the first post out if not: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-8-jul-20-qudelix-5k-impression-added.906655/

thanks i will take a look. so many choices lol. so far the es100 mk2 or BTR3k are the ones. Someone else also suggested the Qudelix 5K, but seems to be the same price range as the BTR5

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back