Recommendation for open back headphones?
Feb 18, 2014 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Ironandwine

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

Im thinking of getting a pair of open back headphones and am considering the following few. The only other headphone i own is a closed back AKG K545 and im using a fiio e10. I would primarily like to use the open back ones for vocals..

ATH-AD700X
ATH-AD900X (is the 900 much better than the 700?)
Fidelio X1

Am open to other suggestions as well with a price cap of about 250USD.. Thanks!

Feb 18, 2014 at 3:14 PM Post #3 of 13
i don't recommend any of those for vocals. My suggestion is wait for a bit longer while you save up and get a sennheiser hd650 or an hd600 (preferably the 650) and never look back. Buy used if you have to.

Feb 19, 2014 at 12:06 AM Post #4 of 13
I've had the Fidelio X1s recommended to me by at least two people when I asked for suggestions for open headphones. Although I can't give you my assessment, here's the review that made me decide that when I do buy open headphones, the Fidelio X1s are the ones I'll pick. The reviewer says they are very comfortable, and despite having a warm sound, has excellent performance across the board. I can't give you much information on the ATH-AD900X, but I've seen it suggested within your price range.

Also, unless you're willing to pay significantly more and you feel like buying an amp, don't buy the Sennheiser HD 650s. Mids and highs are said to be veiled without proper amping. Great headphones, just outside your price range. Same with the HD 600s.

If you can deal with lesser comfort, Grado has some great open back headphones like the SR225is.

Feb 19, 2014 at 1:40 AM Post #5 of 13
  I've had the Fidelio X1s recommended to me by at least two people when I asked for suggestions for open headphones. Although I can't give you my assessment, here's the review that made me decide that when I do buy open headphones, the Fidelio X1s are the ones I'll pick. The reviewer says they are very comfortable, and despite having a warm sound, has excellent performance across the board. I can't give you much information on the ATH-AD900X, but I've seen it suggested within your price range.

Also, unless you're willing to pay significantly more and you feel like buying an amp, don't buy the Sennheiser HD 650s. Mids and highs are said to be veiled without proper amping. Great headphones, just outside your price range. Same with the HD 600s.

If you can deal with lesser comfort, Grado has some great open back headphones like the SR225is.

cool thanks for the replies.. the hd600 is in the upper end of my spectrum even used, plus i have to wait for one to go on sale so its not too ideal. Have you gotten for X1??

Feb 19, 2014 at 2:48 AM Post #6 of 13
I haven't gotten anything but a lot of extensive information for the Philips Fidelio X1s. As far as I can tell, those are pretty much the best headphones in your price range. You could consider the Sennheiser HD 598s, which aren't quite as expensive but provide a compelling value. My only real point of reference in determining how good the different headphones in this price range is the actual price, which isn't a very good benchmark. That said, the Sennheiser HD 598s have great reviews. Might need an amp if you want the best out of the mids and highs, so I'm loathe to suggest it as an option.

Mind, these aren't full-blown recommendations. I haven't used these headphones. I'm just giving you a few things to consider.

Feb 19, 2014 at 11:29 AM Post #7 of 13
While I agree that the x1 is an excellent choice, it's definitely not on the top of the list of headphones to recommend for vocals. Also, amplifiers don't make that big of a difference for the same amount of money spent on headphones. I would argue that the hd600 by itself is much better than a hd555+amp.

Feb 19, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #9 of 13
While I agree that the x1 is an excellent choice, it's definitely not on the top of the list of headphones to recommend for vocals. Also, amplifiers don't make that big of a difference for the same amount of money spent on headphones. I would argue that the hd600 by itself is much better than a hd555+amp.

I've read on multiple occasions that the mids and highs on the Sennheiser HD 600s sound veiled. That's why I'm hesitant to recommend them.

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:17 AM Post #10 of 13
I've read on multiple occasions that the mids and highs on the Sennheiser HD 600s sound veiled. That's why I'm hesitant to recommend them.

The mids of the hd600 is definitely not veiled, as it is a mid centric phone. The highs could be interpreted as veiled, but it's mostly a matter of taste. I myself, prefer natural and smooth sounding signatures.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:43 AM Post #11 of 13
heya just to update i went ahead and got the ad900x after doing some more research and trying it along with the X1 and HD600. They all sounded great but the thing that won me over was the comfort of the audio technica (plus they were the cheapest), they are really light! anyways im just starting my journey into headphones and will probably buy/sell more as i go along. Thanks for all your input guys!

Feb 21, 2014 at 1:54 PM Post #12 of 13
hope you like it!

this might me an interesting read if you havent seen it yet. It has both the hd600 and the ad900 in it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD600

Feb 21, 2014 at 4:36 PM Post #13 of 13
  hope you like it!

this might me an interesting read if you havent seen it yet. It has both the hd600 and the ad900 in it:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/634201/battle-of-the-flagships-58-headphones-compared-update-audeze-lcd-2-revision-2-6-4-13#user_HD600

I have read that review already, but thanks nonetheless! I absolutely love the airiness ad900x, but it makes me wonder what the 1000x and 2000x sound like... something i am trying my best to contain lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back