Recommendation for noise isolating headphones £50-£80 budget
Jul 31, 2010 at 8:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Matty02

New Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I am going travelling soon, lots of plane time to endure. I am looking for a decent pair of headphones with sufficient noise isolation; my budget is £50 - £80. Currently I have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros - I like the sound of them, could do with a slightly more powerful bass and mids and a more compact fit.

Any recommendations (supported by experience if possible!) would be appreciated. I am open minded brand wise!

Thanks.

Jul 31, 2010 at 11:16 AM Post #4 of 12
I have not used these on a plane, but know of someone who does and is happy with the isolation, so I would recommend the Goldring NS1000. They isolate well even with NR switched off. Many NR cans do not work without NR powered up, so if you run out of batteries you are stuffed. They come in a nice travel bag which has space for an ipod classic as well and have an adapter to use on a plane. I presume it plugs into something there.

The sound is good through out the range and they have a nice level of detail and dynamic attack to them. I don't think you will be disappointed with the bass with NR off, they do brighten up with NR switched on.

The only negative is that they leak sound, so you would not be able to blast your music. Though the person i know who uses them on a plane has had no issues. The background noise may be enough to cover the leaked sound.

http://www.play.com/Search.html?searchstring=goldring+ns1000&searchtype=allproducts&searchsource=0

Jul 31, 2010 at 2:20 PM Post #6 of 12
You might look at the ATH-M50 or SRH840. Both fold and are relatively compact. They have different sonic characteristics, but both isolate fairly well, with the SRH840 being the slight winner there.
But if you really want great sound and isolation go with an IEM (as said above). The Etymotic ER6i is within your budget. Sounds great and isolates very well.

shane 

Jul 31, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
You might look at the ATH-M50 or SRH840. Both fold and are relatively compact. They have different sonic characteristics, but both isolate fairly well, with the SRH840 being the slight winner there.

Listen to shane, he owns the M50's and had the 840's. Both are also great models to throw on the list. 

Aug 1, 2010 at 12:01 PM Post #8 of 12
Sorry guys, but what is the point in recommending headphones that are significantly over budget?

Aug 1, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #9 of 12

Quote:
Sorry guys, but what is the point in recommending headphones that are significantly over budget?

Not sure who you are talking to, but his top is £80. That's $125 USD, much more than what the M50 sells for around here (sorry, but I don't know the UK costs), which is just around $100.
It's also about the cost for the SRH840 as I've seen used, or perhaps just under what I sometimes see them for on sale. 
The Ety ER6i is under $100.

So, not sure what you mean by 'significantly over budget'. Please explain.

shane

Aug 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #11 of 12

Quote:
Not sure who you are talking to, but his top is £80. That's $125 USD, much more than what the M50 sells for around here (sorry, but I don't know the UK costs), which is just around $100.
It's also about the cost for the SRH840 as I've seen used, or perhaps just under what I sometimes see them for on sale. 
The Ety ER6i is under $100.

So, not sure what you mean by 'significantly over budget'. Please explain.

shane

Hi Shane, based on UK costs, where the ATH M50 is £119 best price and the SRH840 is £128, that would put them significantly over budget. The Goldrings NS1000 is bang on budget.

Aug 2, 2010 at 12:43 PM Post #12 of 12

Quote:
Hi Shane, based on UK costs, where the ATH M50 is £119 best price and the SRH840 is £128, that would put them significantly over budget. The Goldrings NS1000 is bang on budget.

Got it... thanks.
Sorry guys, wish these were less expensive for you, they're both great.
redface.gif

shane

Users who are viewing this thread

Back