Recommendation for new headphones
Jun 1, 2012 at 7:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

aposteriori

New Head-Fier
Hi, I'm looking to buy new headphones. Because there is no place where I could try out different headphones 
near where I live, I would like to have recommendations on what would be the best headphones considering
these facts:

- I will mostly be using these headphones outside my home (such as in the car/bus, library, cafe, etc.) 
  They are still relatively quiet places, however.
-I use my iphone and laptop for listening to music.
-It needs to be comfortable enough so that I could listen long enough without my ears or the areas
around my ears starting to hurt (doesn't matter if its around or on ears, as long as its comfortable). 
-Around 40-50% of my music library is hiphop/rap (mostly underground. I also have have lots
of jazz hip-hop instrumentals, such as those by Nujabes). The other half is composed of jazz, classical,
j-pop (world music in general), and some occasional rock. Some all-around headphones with a suitable
amount of bass would be nice, if there are any.
-Limit: no more than $400 (can maybe up it to $500, if something in that price range is significantly better)

A long list, but any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated.. Thanks in advance! I can maybe put up samples
of music that I listen to, if that helps at all.

Jun 1, 2012 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 12
Welcome to head-fi, take a look at the Sennheiser HD-25 I II, great isolation for quiet environments, portability and sound quality. 

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:03 AM Post #4 of 12
Hello.....I'm new here...whoop!

Any ways I am also looking for some new headphones as well , I have the HD 25-I-II and Shure SE 535 and just sold my HD 650 hence looking for somthing new!

I would say for you the HD 25 would be a to uncomfortable on your ears, they clamp hard and really push ur ears into your skull haha, I love mine as they take a beating and do sound good, but I can't wear them for long periods of time either, that's what my SE535s are for.

I am looking at getting some Shure SRH940 as can get them at a good price here in New Zealand.

I'd say if your from the U.S you could get some sweet headphones for 500 bucks!

I also was considering the Ultrasone Pro 750 but the SRH 940 are like 150 bucks cheaper so yea don't no which way to swing!

S

Jun 2, 2012 at 3:38 AM Post #5 of 12
maybe the HD-25 I II's littile brother- amperior? it is much easier to drive with portable sources.  the Amperior is 18ohms and I think the HD25 I II is more than 70ohms.

Jun 2, 2012 at 7:39 AM Post #6 of 12
The amperior is said to be more comfy than the regular hd25, because the clamping force is smaller, but you loose some isolation.
But I don't find supra aural comfy anyway. I learned a hard lesson with the hd25.
I wouldn't consider the srh940 for hip hop or rock, they lack the bass to be truly enjoyable, at least "out of the box" (I've modded them).
Also I believe the srh940 would perform poorly, out of a laptop, and to a lesser extent , on your ipod.

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #7 of 12
The amperior is said to be more comfy than the regular hd25, because the clamping force is smaller, but you loose some isolation.

But I don't find supra aural comfy anyway. I learned a hard lesson with the hd25.

I wouldn't consider the srh940 for hip hop or rock, they lack the bass to be truly enjoyable, at least "out of the box" (I've modded them).

Also I believe the srh940 would perform poorly, out of a laptop, and to a lesser extent , on your ipod.

Hi Extrab........
What mod have you done on your 940?

Thanks.
S

Jun 3, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:
I would say for you the HD 25 would be a to uncomfortable on your ears, they clamp hard and really push ur ears into your skull haha, I love mine as they take a beating and do sound good, but I can't wear them for long periods of time either, that's what my SE535s are for.
I am looking at getting some Shure SRH940 as can get them at a good price here in New Zealand.
I'd say if your from the U.S you could get some sweet headphones for 500 bucks!
I also was considering the Ultrasone Pro 750 but the SRH 940 are like 150 bucks cheaper so yea don't no which way to swing!
S

Thats because you need to use your HD-25's more often, clamping force goes away on time. Or stretch them a bit before using them. 

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:40 AM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

I think the 940s are solid for rock.  Hip-hop, not so much.

I also think they perform excellently out of portable sources.  Yes, they do scale up very nicely with a good dac/amp, but I wouldn't say it's necessary by a long shot.

Jun 3, 2012 at 9:52 AM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Yes, they do scale up very nicely with a good dac/amp, but I wouldn't say it's necessary by a long shot.

I  don't know, they made me less skeptical about the importance of having a good source.
Depends of how you wear them too. If you adjust them in  head, in the way that they show the biggest emphasis on treble, then there's a night and day difference between xonar stx & realtek onboard sound. And between the two, there's the sound quality of mp3 player.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back