recommendation for female vocals
Mar 7, 2007 at 9:45 PM Post #31 of 161
The Gathering.I love Anneke's voice
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:10 PM Post #35 of 161
No love for Kate Bush?
I also like Diane Schurr and check out Annie Haslam of the band Reniassance...she has an amaing voice!

Mar 7, 2007 at 11:13 PM Post #36 of 161
I actually don't care much for Kate Bush, Tori Amos, or Sarah McLachlan. I know these are pretty popular female singers. They just don't do it for me.

Mar 8, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #38 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Happy Camper /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out Mindy Smith. Does a great cover of Jolene - Just Because I'm A Woman. Also like Come to Jesus- One Moment More

w00t for the recommendation of Mindy Smith. "Come to Jesus" is a great track. Have you heard her new album yet?

also ditto on the recommendation of the Bops!

anyway, other recs would be:

Bic Runga
Loreena McKennitt
Rachael Yamagata
Rosie Thomas
Melissa McClelland

and if you feel adventurous:

Joanna Newsom (her music I absolutely adore!)
Emiliana Torrini
Mia Doi Todd

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:46 AM Post #40 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamesb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
and jinp6301, an unplugged rillo killey ablum ehhh, hmm, must go and look for that....thanks

yea its definetly better then the regular album.

and goldfrapp is awesome. best electronica i've heard in a while!

Mar 8, 2007 at 6:06 PM Post #41 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by kpp80202 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Amy Lee of Evanescence has a similar thing going on with "My Immortal," though there it is just more of an acoustic version of the electric song.

It's not a remake or cover, but the last song on their newest album "The Open Door" is pretty mezmorizing, (titled "Good Enough"). "Lacrymosa" on that album is also well done.

Mar 10, 2007 at 7:29 PM Post #42 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by eduj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Gathering.I love Anneke's voice
smily_headphones1.gif

I second that. Talking about Dutch stuff.... Anouk has an unplugged album (or at least a load of unplugged songs) if I remember right.

I don't have much unplugged stuff now that I think of it, I'm looking arround now to expand my library. So far I'm enjoying Deerhoof and Jenny Lewis
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:10 AM Post #43 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by Land /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I second that. Talking about Dutch stuff.... Anouk has an unplugged album (or at least a load of unplugged songs) if I remember right.

I don't have much unplugged stuff now that I think of it, I'm looking arround now to expand my library. So far I'm enjoying Deerhoof and Jenny Lewis
smily_headphones1.gif

I third it...beautiful voice. There is also Tarja Turunen...formerly of Nightwish...and let's not forget Liv Kristine of Leaves' Eyes (formerly Theatre of Tragedy).
icon10.gif

Mar 11, 2007 at 4:16 AM Post #44 of 161
Quote:

Originally Posted by en480c4 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nothing says sultry female vocals to me like Jennifer Charles of Elysian Fields. She has a very distinct hushed and breathy delivery. She can also be heard doing vocals on "Cruel Sunlight" on Tweaker's 2 A.M. Wakeup Call.

X2.
i'm also fond of Sia, Bitter:Sweet, Psapp, and Bat For Lashes for
pop/electronic. on the jazz/folk side there's always diana krall,
norah jones, and a lesser known martha wainwright

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:52 AM Post #45 of 161
Annie Haslam from Renaissance is another golden oldie from 70s rock era
Songs:
A Trip To The Fair
Mother Russia
Midas Man
Black Flame
Ocean Gypsy