Recommendation for classical music set-up?
Aug 21, 2014 at 9:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sleepow

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am interested in getting some higher end headphone set-up (maybe dac + amp + headphones) to listen to classical music at home. I listen mostly to symphonies, masses and opera, but I occasionally also enjoy rock, pop, blues, jazz and heavy/trash/black metal.

The main purpose of the set-up will however be for classical music and being good at the other might be a plus, but really not the priority.

My headphone gear is currently limited to the Ultrasone Ed 8 fed by the Sony PHA-2 portable dac-amp or fed by the headphone output of my Marantz PM15S1 integrated amp. The source for the Marantz amplifier is or the Marantz SA15S1 SACD player, or the Denon DAC 300,

Budget would be around (or less than) 2k per component.

Any suggestion?
I will most likely be able to try the headphones (not sure about the amp) but from experience the listening environment will not be great (in the middle of an Audio shop with loudspeakers blasting away). So far I had a chance to try the HD800 which sounded good given the circumstances, but again, with their openness and the noisy surrounding, that was probably not that relevant.

Cheers,
Sleepow

Aug 21, 2014 at 2:40 PM Post #2 of 19
You might do fairly well with just buying headphones and plugging them into your current hardware.

But if your really looking into buy new hardware for use with headphones, check out Audio-GD.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

Aug 21, 2014 at 6:22 PM Post #3 of 19
You might do fairly well with just buying headphones and plugging them into your current hardware.

But if your really looking into buy new hardware for use with headphones, check out Audio-GD.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Products-EN.htm

Thanks for the reply.
I guess that is how I would proceed; decide on a headphone and then get it to play on my current set-up until I either decide this all sounds great, or decide I need an amp.

The main question however remains: what headphones are best for classical?
For some reason I assumed the HD800 would be, but I read around those pages that actually they are not as the push towards trebles could cause issues with some instruments (violin) and the mids are not good enough either for classical.
I have yet to try any Audeze, but there as well I have read comments about them not great for classical music (and their size is intimidating....)

If anyone has an input on headphones for classical music, it would be appreciated.
Cheers,

Sleepow

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 19
The headphones like HD800, PS1000 are really good for classical genres and HD800 are more picky or depended on DAC/AMPs for it's best performance. Sennheiser own AMPs has great synergy with HD800, PS1000 are also amazing headphone and Woo Audio, ALO, RSA, SChiit made some great DAC/AMPs.

I will have to give the PS1000 a try. I believe I have seen them in a shop around so I probably will have a chance to sample them.
The HD and HDVD 800 combo seems interesting, my problem with the HDVD is that I am worried it might be a one trick poney, tailored only for the HD and its 300 ohms.
So far the HD800 is the frontrunner, but the difficulty to pair it well is what makes me undecided.
I will have to read about the amps you mentioned and how they pair with the HD800 (I am however not sure I can easily get those here in Japan).

Aug 22, 2014 at 10:22 AM Post #5 of 19
Stax?

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #7 of 19
At this moment,I am listening to Brahms,with a Stax setup-IMHO,it is the finest setup I have ever owned.
At times,with a good recording,it is like being in a concert hall,listening to a live performance,and yes,it ran me almost $6K.,the Amp & Dac were purchased used, from heaf-fi's buy/sell forum.

With all this being said,if I were to do it all over again,I would strongly recommend the HD800,mainly because ,when I owned them ,they were the most comfortable headphones out there.
They do have an extremely high sound quality,but,as mentioned above,,you need to choose your amp & dac carefully....>

If you feel you want to upgrade your other gear {amp/dac},which I strongly recommend--I would start looking at Schiit.

Hope this helps.

Mike

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #8 of 19
  At this moment,I am listening to Brahms,with a Stax setup-IMHO,it is the finest setup I have ever owned.
At times,with a good recording,it is like being in a concert hall,listening to a live performance,and yes,it ran me almost $6K.,the Amp & Dac were purchased used, from heaf-fi's buy/sell forum.

With all this being said,if I were to do it all over again,I would strongly recommend the HD800,mainly because ,when I owned them ,they were the most comfortable headphones out there.
They do have an extremely high sound quality,but,as mentioned above,,you need to choose your amp & dac carefully....>

If you feel you want to upgrade your other gear {amp/dac},which I strongly recommend--I would start looking at Schiit.

Hope this helps.

Mike

if you do not mind, what is the Stax set-up you are using?

Aug 22, 2014 at 5:07 PM Post #9 of 19
+1000 for the HD800 and classical. I listen to classical music for hours everyday and the Senn's are now the only headphone I use - Perfect for the job. (or as perfect as you are going to get :)

Buy the hp's then look how you want to feed them. They are incredibly transparent and so there are many many options depending if you want a warmer or drier sound.

I would personally not look at Audeze for classical... Great for small ensemble Jazz but anything larger noo no :wink:   

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #10 of 19
I listen almost exclusively to classical. My HD800's are the best headphone I have found and I have tried many (including stax). Unless you are willing to go up to the stax 009 the HD800 is the best classical headphone out there hands down. If your associated equipment is not a perfect match you might be surprised to find out how easy it is to dial everything in using a little eq with your HD800's. The HD800 also scales up with better equipment more obviously than any other headphone I have tried. The second best for just sheer fun was my experience with the HE500's but the weight was a killer. The HE500 produces everything on the warm side without the extreme detail of the HD800 but it is totally enjoyable with classical.

Aug 22, 2014 at 9:34 PM Post #11 of 19
On my way right now to try some headphones. I know they have Stax 009, HD800 and believe I have seen the PS1000.

But what kind of amp would the Stax 009 require to perform at its true value?

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:28 AM Post #12 of 19
Amps that will perform at full value will generally cost you an extra $5000. Look into woo wes or blue hawaii from headamp. But for the money under $2000 each, the sennheiser might be a safer bet. If you do try out all those headphones let us know which one youll go with!

Aug 23, 2014 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 19
Amps that will perform at full value will generally cost you an extra $5000. Look into woo wes or blue hawaii from headamp. But for the money under $2000 each, the sennheiser might be a safer bet. If you do try out all those headphones let us know which one youll go with!

Wow, I guess I could have pushed for the 009 price, but not if I need a USD 5000 amp to feed them well.
As I type I am sampling them on a Stax SRM-007tA.
Despite the surrounding noise, they do sound impressive, more docile than the 800 combo.
They are so far for me also really comfortable, maybe more than the 800.
But even if I would be happy with the Stax amp sound wise (and price wise) they look like made to run only the Stax HP; or are there ways to use those amps with other HP, and if so, do they sound great?

They only have the I series Grado; I gave them only a few minutes but was not a fan of the fit, so gave up as the HD 800 would take the crown between the 2.

I tried also the LCD-X; I might get complains from fans, but with the classical music I tried them, they sounded "bland". Comfort was ok, but weight might be an issue longer term.

I will need to think about it some more, also consider the set-up at home, but the HD800 might be it. Stax is really tempting, but the cost might be pushing the limit for me.

Aug 23, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #14 of 19
Wow, I guess I could have pushed for the 009 price, but not if I need a USD 5000 amp to feed them well.
As I type I am sampling them on a Stax SRM-007tA.
Despite the surrounding noise, they do sound impressive, more docile than the 800 combo.
They are so far for me also really comfortable, maybe more than the 800.
But even if I would be happy with the Stax amp sound wise (and price wise) they look like made to run only the Stax HP; or are there ways to use those amps with other HP, and if so, do they sound great?

They only have the I series Grado; I gave them only a few minutes but was not a fan of the fit, so gave up as the HD 800 would take the crown between the 2.

I tried also the LCD-X; I might get complains from fans, but with the classical music I tried them, they sounded "bland". Comfort was ok, but weight might be an issue longer term.

I will need to think about it some more, also consider the set-up at home, but the HD800 might be it. Stax is really tempting, but the cost might be pushing the limit for me.

Ok, I was ignorant about electrostatic headphones, but now that I read about it, it is obvious the amps are specific for them.
It is obvious to me that I enjoyed the 009 much more than the 800, but it is only up to me now to decide whether or not they are worth it and if I can stretch my budget as much.
I will sleep on it for some time, maybe get some more hands on,...

Aug 23, 2014 at 1:10 PM Post #15 of 19
  if you do not mind, what is the Stax set-up you are using?

Check my signature ----> Headphones > Stax 009>AmP KGSS >Dac Yulong DA8

Not everyone prefers the Stax sound,so
The HD800 is an excellent headphone,as stated above,but make sure, you get a proper amp.
Proper amp being one,that easily can drive the 800's ,and gives you the sound quality your ears prefer.
A fellow head-fier {Paradoxper} suggested the Stax to me,after that,I was hooked...remember,this is not an inexpensive hobby.,

Sleepow--If you live anywhere within the tri-state area...PM me,and we can setup a time that is convenient for both of us ,so you can try out my rig-OK?

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back