Recommendation for budget bookshelf speaker system?
Sep 14, 2010 at 2:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

SemiAudiophile

Headphoneus Supremus
These are gonna be my first attempt at "real" speakers. I'll be using them as my main speakers for TV, movies, and music. I'm looking for something 2.1 that I could use and upgrade to 5.1 later down the road. 

So far I'm deciding between the Klipsch RB-51 II's paired with RPW-10 or Energy RC-10 paired with ESW-10. Which one would you recommend for better all-arounders? any other recommendations are welcome, I'm hoping to stay <$1k.

I'll also need a receiver to drive them, what do you guys recommend? something budget, but modern..thanks! 

Sep 14, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #2 of 40
Those are good choices for mass produced gear but I would stay away from such. Mass produced has sound for people who use them for tv or movies generally.

For musical speakers, you are better suited going with smaller manufacturers. Klipsch is overly bright in most cases except for their Vintage line which are enormous speakers. Energy is solid but not quite it for me.

For budget speakers I would go to Tweak City Audio. Not only are their speakers excellent values, their subwoofer designer is well respected. The Gizmo is $50!! That is a 2.1 capable amp. You just plug it into a source and instant 2.1. Look at the WAF-1 for your monitors. For $149? They are better than the Usher S520 $350 or AV123 X-LS $200 I had.

I need to put out a deal alert on their sale. The Gizmo, WAF-1 combo is a silly deal for $234 shipped.

Not affiliated with Tweak City. Just know those guys and their passion. They are a new company but are run by old hands.

Sep 14, 2010 at 5:32 PM Post #3 of 40
X2 on skipping the consumer-grade stuff.

I'm not terribly up on bookshelf speakers, but bought a pair of PSBs for the parents a couple of Christmases ago. They're surprisingly good for the money and worth looking at. However, there are many more good ones out there.

If I were you, I'd spend some time poking through the listings at Audiogon. Do not worry about buying used - speakers are stable components (at least the dynamics, electrostats are a different story) and hold up for years. You'll be able to find excellent speakers there for 50% off or less of MSRP. Your money will go much further.

Likewise, check out the receivers and integrated amps over there. For reasonably priced gear, I like NAD and Rega.

Also, the used gear tends to hold value. A used Rega integrated should fetch what you paid for it a few years from now.

Sep 14, 2010 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 40
LOL AV123, they're history now that their owner got indicted for charity fraud.

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 40
The WAF-1/Gizmo combo sounds like an insane deal (almost too good to be true)..I might just get them. 

UE, thanks for reminding me to buy used. I will look into those. 

Time to do more research...
beerchug.gif

Sep 14, 2010 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 40
The WAF and Gizmo are for real. I will attest to them on my honor. I fully appreciate being skeptical but there is no better deal for a new, solid entry level 2.0 system. I would get on it if it applied to me but I am going back to Stax.

Sep 15, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #9 of 40

Quote:
Hmm, this maybe a stupid question but would that setup be an upgrade from my Sony DAV-X1?

Oh hell yes. Not close. You still need a decent source b/c the Gizo is just an amp. No comparison speaker wise.

Sep 15, 2010 at 9:15 PM Post #10 of 40

Quote:
Oh hell yes. Not close. You still need a decent source b/c the Gizo is just an amp. No comparison speaker wise.

Anyone want to trade for a system that could blow your internal organs out of ALL of your orafaces? 
tongue.gif

What receiver would you recommend? I would like something with an optical connection since I will be using it with my PC. 

Sep 15, 2010 at 11:13 PM Post #13 of 40
I'm in your situation - looking for a startup bookshelf speaker system compact enough to fit on a dorm desk. Limited to a $1000 budget, give or take a few hundred, as well. I was looking at the Paradigm Studio 10 v5 powered by a Nuforce Icon 2. Or a pair of Dynaudio BM5a MKII or the new Adam A5x coupled with a simple source like the Cambridge Audio DACMagic, but I don't like a flat, neutral sound, so I'm not sure if monitors are the way to go. Still looking - lots of choices in this price range.
smile_phones.gif

Sep 16, 2010 at 12:23 AM Post #14 of 40
I also couldn't find any reviews on the tektons. 

I'm leaning towards the WAF-1/Gizmo. For the price, they seem really hard to beat plus it looks like they have that 30 day trial going on. If I ever decide to upgrade later and get my hands on a nice receiver, I'll just move them to my desktop. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back