Recommendation for $100 in ear monitors - Warm with good midrange and bass?
Mar 19, 2015 at 2:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

WiL11o6

New Head-Fier
I've owned Klipsch S4s, and my recent pair of Brainwavz m2 is kicking the bucket soon. I just got a pair of Hisoundaudio Wooduo2s because I thought I was a basshead (hip hop, etc.), but that **** was too bassy. I actually preferred my cheaper Brainwavz a lot more which had better vocals. The wooduos sounded like the vocals were so recessed and the bass was pushed forward too much. There was no clarity at all and the bass was actually TOO much. The sound felt fatiguing because the treble felt bumped up too. I know people rave about the wooduos about I suppose it's not for me. The V shaped felt like I just turned on "Beats audio"

A couple recommendations I see here are Hifiman RE-400s, GR07s, Shure 215s, and I forgot one other in the $100 price range. I kind of liked the sound signature of the Brainwavz, but I want something that's an overall improvement in sound. Something with good bass but good midrange too. I'm not too big on sound being too bright and treble heavy. I will be using these to workout too and I read Hifimans don't have good build quality.

Thanks

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:23 PM Post #3 of 8
I'd highly recommend the SE215. What you said is almost exactly what comes to mind when I'm thinking of it. It's focused on bass and midrange (both of which are good, the midrange very good). Vocals come out nicely, they stand out and aren't pushed to the back, like in a V-shaped headphone (which I hate- and I love the SE215). It doesn't have the best clarity (it's not muddy or very congested though), but I think it has the sound signature you're looking for. It's not incredibly bassy, but it does have power in the bass and midrange. It could never be called treble-heavy or bright. 

Build quality is great on the SE215; I actually slept on them once, half-shoved into a recliner 
tongue.gif
 and they feel very solid. The cable and jack are very strong, and in case you ever manage to break them, it's replaceable. They also stay in the ears well with the foam tips, something that I assume would be great for working out with. They're also very highly isolating, if you need that. 

I have not tried any of the other IEMs you mentioned, so don't rely completely on my word. I believe they fit your description, but you may want to wait for others to respond in case there's something better.

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:46 PM Post #4 of 8
Maybe eph 100. the re 400 is neutral iem

Mar 19, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #8 of 8
  How do they fit? I've never tried a over the ear type in ear. I'm thinking it's going to be kinda clunky feeling as I have smaller ears as well?

No worries- my ears are small as well. I use the small tips; be careful moving from the medium tips installed to another pair, the tips can be very hard to get off and I recommend being as gentle as possible. They fit well in my ears, and are pretty comfortable. I push it into my ears the correct way, then push the wire over my ear. It only takes a few seconds. There's memory wire so you can shape it for your ear, and it works well. They can seem somewhat big, but their shape makes them fit well and gives them comfort. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back