Recommendation: Airpod Max or Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro
Dec 28, 2020 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Rhizy1965

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm considering some quality headphones for listening to mainly Classical and Jazz (although also some contemporary folk,alternative, rock / pop etc. I have fairly wide musical tastes). Likely need closed as want to also use them while on commute and at work. May invest in some quality opens in future as well for use more just at home. For example might invest in HD600 for some decent opens in future (maybe a few months time). So have a good pair of opens and closed.

Initially attracted to the new Airpod Max (but at $890 here in Australia) not sure I'm getting the sound quality for those $ and I don't really need full noise cancelling or wireless. I tried them this past weekend at local Apple store, yeah they're impressive but certainly not quite up to my old AT AD900 in my opinion (but I get they have wireless bluetooth and great noise cancelling etc). Don't get me wrong they did sound great for the short time I tried them in store (but what would I know, I don't really have a lot of experience with headphones at this price range). They did look and feel great:. 2-3 month wait here though in getting them. But my priority is sound quality. I'm not an audio expert or anything like that, but do want to spend some time getting back into enjoying and listening closely to music: especially classical and jazz. A hobby I want to spend time enjoying as I head towards retirement years. Still a good five years off from that.

A local headphone store suggested i consider Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro. I'm also considering a portable Dac (perhaps the iFi Hip Dac?). This will be my first DAC. Again open to investing in better Dac down the track just for use at home.

My source though will be mainly iPhone 11 with some use on macbook air. I also have a PC at home but just some kind of bog standard on board audio. (Nvidia HD audio?). At moment mainly stream from spotify, but open to Tidal for improvements there.

Recommendations much appreciated. In Australia the DT1770s are going for around $840 or so.

In past had AT AD900s and only ever used then straight into the iPhone, but loved the sense of separation and width(sound stage) while listening to classical, but I get unlikely to achieve this with closed? But couldn't really use the AD900 while on commute etc due to leakage being opens.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #2 of 11
Hi,

I'm considering some quality headphones for listening to mainly Classical and Jazz (although also some contemporary folk,alternative, rock / pop etc. I have fairly wide musical tastes). Likely need closed as want to also use them while on commute and at work. May invest in some quality opens in future as well for use more just at home. For example might invest in HD600 for some decent opens in future (maybe a few months time). So have a good pair of opens and closed.

Initially attracted to the new Airpod Max (but at $890 here in Australia) not sure I'm getting the sound quality for those $ and I don't really need full noise cancelling or wireless. I tried them this past weekend at local Apple store, yeah they're impressive but certainly not quite up to my old AT AD900 in my opinion (but I get they have wireless bluetooth and great noise cancelling etc). Don't get me wrong they did sound great for the short time I tried them in store (but what would I know, I don't really have a lot of experience with headphones at this price range). They did look and feel great:. 2-3 month wait here though in getting them. But my priority is sound quality. I'm not an audio expert or anything like that, but do want to spend some time getting back into enjoying and listening closely to music: especially classical and jazz. A hobby I want to spend time enjoying as I head towards retirement years. Still a good five years off from that.

A local headphone store suggested i consider Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro. I'm also considering a portable Dac (perhaps the iFi Hip Dac?). This will be my first DAC. Again open to investing in better Dac down the track just for use at home.

My source though will be mainly iPhone 11 with some use on macbook air. I also have a PC at home but just some kind of bog standard on board audio. (Nvidia HD audio?). At moment mainly stream from spotify, but open to Tidal for improvements there.

Recommendations much appreciated. In Australia the DT1770s are going for around $840 or so.

In past had AT AD900s and only ever used then straight into the iPhone, but loved the sense of separation and width(sound stage) while listening to classical, but I get unlikely to achieve this with closed? But couldn't really use the AD900 while on commute etc due to leakage being opens.
I own a set of the Beyerdynamic DT-1770s and may have some insights to help you. The 1770s have a very good soundstage for a closed-back h/p. That soundstage is a tad narrower than that of the semi-open DT-880s and of the open Sennheiser HD-600s: not a surprise. I find that the tonal balance and airiness of the 1770s is exemplary. Vocals as well as acoustics are rendered beautifully (my listening is mainly jazz and R&B). While the 1770s have a 250 ohm impedance, they have a sensitivity of 111.2 decibels / volt power input: that is quite high and should not be a problem for on-the-go use when connected to a portable source. You might even want to use the coiled h/p cable (besides the straight 3-metre type) that comes with the 1770s.

Dec 28, 2020 at 9:37 PM Post #3 of 11
I own a set of the Beyerdynamic DT-1770s and may have some insights to help you. The 1770s have a very good soundstage for a closed-back h/p. That soundstage is a tad narrower than that of the semi-open DT-880s and of the open Sennheiser HD-600s: not a surprise. I find that the tonal balance and airiness of the 1770s is exemplary. Vocals as well as acoustics are rendered beautifully (my listening is mainly jazz and R&B). While the 1770s have a 250 ohm impedance, they have a sensitivity of 111.2 decibels / volt power input: that is quite high and should not be a problem for on-the-go use when connected to a portable source. You might even want to use the coiled h/p cable (besides the straight 3-metre type) that comes with the 1770s.

Thank you for the insights, appreciated.

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:00 AM Post #4 of 11
The Beyerdynamic DT1770 Pro are excellent closed headphones in their price category.

There aren't that many good closed backs to choose from though

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:25 AM Post #5 of 11
It’s convenience vs sound between those two but there are a lot of options in that price bracket. I see you’re from Brisbane (like me :)) so there aren’t a lot of auditioning options around here unfortunately and most places have an extremely limited selection of cans, I have more than most stores lol.

Are you after something mainly for commuting or mainly for home listening?

Dec 29, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #6 of 11
The manufacturer lists the sensitivity of the DT1770s as 102 dB/mW, not 111.2. That is rather a gigantic difference.
https://global.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1770-pro.html

You need a good amp to get the most out of these. For a closed pair of cans they are very good and do a lot of things well. But I find the separation a little extreme at times. If you have an amp with crossfeed (Meier, Phonitor) or a good software crossfeed it will help.

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:23 AM Post #7 of 11
It’s convenience vs sound between those two but there are a lot of options in that price bracket. I see you’re from Brisbane (like me :)) so there aren’t a lot of auditioning options around here unfortunately and most places have an extremely limited selection of cans, I have more than most stores lol.

Are you after something mainly for commuting or mainly for home listening?

Well I thought about it some more and decided to just go for decent opens for at home listening. Could also use them in at work quite a lot as I do have my own closed door office. Placed an order for Sennheiser HD660s (figured I couldn't go to wrong with something in the HD600 series) together with the iFi Hip Dac (my first Dac). I think a good way of starting in the hobby. I still do have my old trusty Bose QC15s I can chuck in the bag and use on the commutes.

Tough decision, was also considering HiFiMan Sundara, HD560s, DT1990 pros. Going round and round. Figured stuff it lets just spring for the HD660s and go from there. My aim is to mainly enjoy listening to music from home and getting back into the habit of chilling out with some good classical, jazz etc. If I get into it, I'll upgrade further from here looking more at my Dac/Amp/ Source options. Then perhaps consider other headphones later in the year to complement the HD660s.

I actually have a decent home PC (gaming rig) as well so perhaps need to better think through how can incorporate it in my sound setup. At moment basically do all my listening from Iphone 11 as the source using spotify. Sometimes from the macbook air.

Yup not much options in Brisbane to try out different headphones, so going by youtube reviews etc.

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:28 AM Post #8 of 11
Great choice! Enjoy :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #9 of 11
I think for driving out of a phone the 660S is a much better choice than most of the other ones discussed :)

Dec 29, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #10 of 11
The manufacturer lists the sensitivity of the DT1770s as 102 dB/mW, not 111.2. That is rather a gigantic difference.
https://global.beyerdynamic.com/dt-1770-pro.html

You missed the units. He said 111.2dB/V and you said 102dB/mW. According to your link this is a 250 ohm headphone. 102dB/mW corresponds to 108dB/V at 250ohms (and 111dB/V equals to105dB/mW at 250ohms) so it is not a big difference.

Dec 29, 2020 at 11:38 AM Post #11 of 11
You missed the units. He said 111.2dB/V and you said 102dB/mW. According to your link this is a 250 ohm headphone. 102dB/mW corresponds to 108dB/V at 250ohms (and 111dB/V equals to105dB/mW at 250ohms) so it is not a big difference.
Thank you! I did indeed not notice the units.

5 dB difference is significant though. It means a difference of almost 4 times the power to reach the same level. Yes, I linked to the 250 ohm version which is the only version of the DT1770 that I know of, and the one which I have. It definitely needs a good amp to get the most out of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back