Recommend tube amp for Senns 660s and Focal Elears under $1000
Apr 19, 2021 at 12:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 61

TheGru

Head-Fier
Was thinking of building Bottlehead Crack with Speedball and now see there are other options like Feliks Echo and Woo Audio WA6, etc. Which one would you recommend to me and why? I have done some research but am confused ...

I understand I will need a separate DAC too.

Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, currently own iFi NEO iDSD and looking for more oomph and warmer sound. Do not need MQA anymore. Will switch to HIFI Spotify once it becomes available.

Last edited:
Apr 19, 2021 at 6:06 PM Post #2 of 61
Hi, for low impedance headphones you should be looking at SET amps or even better, hybrids. Woo is a member here, you can contact him via PM or email the business email and ask.

I don't think the Crack or Feliks are appropriate for your headphones. WA6 probably would be a much better match.

Apr 20, 2021 at 11:45 AM Post #3 of 61
Looking into getting Woo Audio WA6 then. Liking the reviews. I wish it wasn't $900! :wink:

Anyway, any DAC that would go with this amp? Should I use iFi NEO iDSD I got or get something different (dedicated DAC)?

Apr 20, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #4 of 61
I don't know enough about those headphones. From the specs they would be fine with almost any reasonable dacamp. I'm not really sure low impedance dynamics are the best candidates for tube amps. In general the "tube" sound comes from OTL tube amps but those are for high impedance headphones. So a nice solid state combo unit (dacamp) might be more practical for what you have now.

If you haven't already, check the threads for those specific headphones. I'm sure there will be tons of info about what people use with them.

Apr 20, 2021 at 2:49 PM Post #6 of 61
I'm not sure what you're asking then. What you have now looks fine. You won't get the benefit of tubes with the headphones you have as much as you would with other kinds of headphones.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #9 of 61
If I may ask, how does it work for you?
You just plug in the headphones and power supply connector. Seriously, you didn't know this already?

:D

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:21 PM Post #10 of 61
Its not that the iFi NEO iDSD is not a good amp/DAC, it IS, but it just does not excite me. I miss that warm, tubey sound which I am not expecting this amp to provide, but it could be the Focals not delivering. Not sure.

I have had HD650 before (really liked them A LOT), and few amps in my life, and the best combo ever for me was the McIntosh MHA150 (I know I know I should have not sold it ;0) and Senns HD650s. Simply awesome!

My HD660s arrived today (still unboxed) so I will give it a go and let you know how I feel with these cans. Maybe its the Elears that I do not love. Not sure. I am not new to this but I still do not know what to pair with what.

Keep you posted.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:25 PM Post #12 of 61
Its not that the iFi NEO iDSD is not a good amp/DAC, it IS, but it just does not excite me. I miss that warm, tubey sound which I am not expecting this amp to provide, but it could be the Focals not delivering. Not sure.

I have had HD650 before (really liked them A LOT), and few amps in my life, and the best combo ever for me was the McIntosh MHA150 (I know I know I should have not sold it ;0) and Senns HD650s. Simply awesome!

My HD660s arrived today (still unboxed) so I will give it a go and let you know how I feel with these cans. Maybe its the Elears that I do not love. Not sure. I am not new to this but I still do not know what to pair with what.

Keep you posted.
I think this is it. The headphones have more influence on signature than the amp. The 660S are probably not it either.

Don't feel bad if you go 600 or 650. The 660S is not an upgrade, despite the number.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:28 PM Post #13 of 61
Find a Schiit Mjolnir 2. I use one for my Focal Clear and 58x. You'll definitely get excited.

Schiit website showed 1 left in B stock.

You definitely want to stay away from OTL amplifiers. They're better suited for 300ohms and above.

Apr 20, 2021 at 4:42 PM Post #14 of 61
You just plug in the headphones and power supply connector. Seriously, you didn't know this already?

:D

The question was how does it work for him :sunglasses:

But that aside, well, yes, a thingie goes into a thingie and we get sound :D

It's all good. We like what we did with NEO iDSD, but at the same time not everyone out there has to love it :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/people/IFi-audio/61558986775162/ https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Apr 20, 2021 at 4:45 PM Post #15 of 61
The question was how does it work for him :sunglasses:

But that aside, well, yes, a thingie goes into a thingie and we get sound :D

It's all good. We like what we did with NEO iDSD, but at the same time not everyone out there has to love it :)
I know, but you are a good guy with a sense of humor. After some beers I thought the question would be appropriate given the tense mood elsewhere on our forums :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back