Recommend sub-$150 closed headphone for office listening
May 20, 2008 at 6:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 29

kingmajix

100+ Head-Fier
I wanted to avoid making this post as I didn't want to see "use the search function" responses but, after almost two weeks of research, I can't make up my mind.

So I'll put it out there - I recently moved offices to a completely open environment (no privacy) and I need a pair of closed phones to drown out the din. They will be used un-amped with an iPod Touch.

My top 3 needs:

- Comfort
- Great bass (I own Atrio M5s and Beyer 770s)
- Not extremely bulky

Here's the list of headphones I've been looking into:

- AKG K81
- Sennheiser HD 280
- Sony MDR V6
- Equation RP21
- Ultrasone DJ1
- Beyerdynamic 250-80

As you can see, I'm all over the place. Every time I dig deeper, I read about more pros and cons and I can't seem to find something that looks like it suits me. Unfortunately I can't audition so my purchase will be strictly based on my research. I'm completely open at this point so all recommendations $150 or under are welcome.

Help!

Scott

May 21, 2008 at 4:45 AM Post #3 of 29
K81: not comfortable for long use
HD280: extremely bulky; V6, kind of bulky
DT250-80: not too great unamped

I haven't heard the remaining two you listed, but from what I've read I think the RP-21 is the best of the options so far. I'm assuming you're considering your DT770 too bulky. I can also add my recent fave for this kind of requirement set, the JVC M1000. Otherwise, I think the size and amp requirements are going to make you rule out some excellent options. I mean, if you're going to have to use this rig daily, doesn't that kind of justify the amp and extra size?

May 21, 2008 at 5:31 AM Post #4 of 29
Thanks for the recommendations.

Yeah, I thought about that. It would be nice to have a pair of fairly quick on/off lighter-weight phones for the office. The 770s would be great but they are kind of big.

I am planning on getting a Corda2Move at some point hopefully soon. You suggested an amp - does that change your headphone recommendation?

Scott

May 21, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #5 of 29
I'll have a word in on the Ultrasone HFI-580 as soon as I get them shipped to me. Not too much above your range ($165). Seem like they might fit the bill according to your description. They look much nicer than the DJ-1 as well
wink.gif

Oh, from what I hear, and just by examining the freq response of the HD-280, I don't think you want them. They are bulky (embarrassingly so, as I've seen people walking around with them sticking 3 inches out of each ear). The bass seems definitely tones down in these, seeing as the freq. response graphs show the lower range being a good 5-10db below the midrange. Doesn't mean they're bad...just means they won't be bassy.

May 21, 2008 at 6:21 AM Post #6 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by kingmajix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am planning on getting a Corda2Move at some point hopefully soon. You suggested an amp - does that change your headphone recommendation?

Yeah, for sheer comfort, respectably slick styling (to keep the people in the office from snickering), and grand SQ, an amp would give you a lot of other options that just wouldn't make sense straight out of the touch, like the MB Quart QP450 (sold in the US as the CharterOak SP-1), K271S, Denon D2000 and 5000, and the better Audio Technicas. All the sort of headphones that one could stand to have to listen to for hours a day all week.

Now, of all those, which ones might you possibly find at around $150, to try to bring me back to your situation? Well, the K271. Still, not a bad choice.

May 22, 2008 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 29
i remember being impressed by the pioneer se-monitor 10r when i tried it. unfortunatly it doesnt seem like anyone here on headfi owns a pair, so there are no impressions to be found.

May 22, 2008 at 10:10 PM Post #9 of 29
How about the Audio Technica ESW9 Headphone for the office?
Is this overkill??
I know that this is over the $150.00 price range.
But, I do like wood phones.
$265.00 on eBay

athesw9kz1.jpg

May 23, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #11 of 29
Take a look at the Denon D1000. I use them with my portable rig and when traveling. I like thier balance sound.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
May 23, 2008 at 1:03 PM Post #12 of 29
How about the Audio Technica ATH-ANC7? Noise-canceling headphones should do well in your current workplace.

May 23, 2008 at 2:36 PM Post #13 of 29
If you're planning on getting an amp, the K271S may be a worth purchase for a stationary can. While they're not basshead headphones, their bass is enough and has good punch if the music demands it. I also have the ESW9s and like them very much, but the AKG 271S trounces them when it comes to isolation. The ESW9s are bassier, though, and much more portable.

May 23, 2008 at 4:16 PM Post #15 of 29

Users who are viewing this thread

Back