recommend some lesser known cds to each other...
Jan 17, 2004 at 12:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

tomek

500+ Head-Fier
Hi, I thought it would be good to start a thread giving people a chance to recommend some albums they have that they might really like that others might not know about. I'm always looking to expand my horizons, and I know how it's easy to get stuck in a rut and miss out on some of the genres out there.

here i go.

The Sadies - anything by them. alternative country meets gospel meets rockabilly and bluegrass. a toronto band, check them out for sure

Mad Professor - "Dubbing you crazy" I like dub and this is my favourite disc by far.

Digable Planets - "Reachin" Yeah, we all heard 'cool like dat' but this is a great album all throughout. nothing has reached this level of perfection for intelligent jazzy rap.

Ultra Lounge - The ultralounge collection offer a nice change from the ordinary and the ones i've heard are a good selection of some eclectic music.

Fairfield Four - "I couldn't hear nobody pray" Some great gospel. Four black singers with incredible voices. One of them goes so low that it gives me shivers when I hear it on a good system.

that's it for now. i'll probably add more later if this thread catches on.

toodles!

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:30 AM Post #3 of 36
Camp-Lo -Uptown Saturday Night
True Players with great samples and guest spots by some of the Digables

Love- Forever Changes
Some beautiful psychedelic stuff. This guy thought he was gonna die at 26 and you can hear it on this album.

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:31 AM Post #4 of 36
Thsi one is for americans, most europeans tend to know this one:

Sonata Arctica - Silence

Jan 17, 2004 at 4:42 AM Post #5 of 36
Here is a couple of my favorites.

Hot Buttered Elvis-Dinner and a Monkey. Kind of a punk sound on some songs, others are just hard rock. Quite a variety. One of the songs is my favorite of all time titled screwk You.

The Grannies-The Grannies. Hard rock from California. I call it bar room rock Fairly rough edged stuff with a parental advisory sticker. The lyric writing could be better, but the kick butt music is great. They have another album titled Taste the Walker, that I haven't heard yet.

Jan 17, 2004 at 5:03 AM Post #6 of 36
Calexico: Feast of Wire
This band is from Arizona. They are an alternative band with Mexican music -- they also have jazz and electronica influences. Very cool. They have a song called Attack El Robot! Attack!, it is hilarious. They use Rob Maruzek (from Tortoise, Chicago Underground Quartet and Isotope 217) for cornet, and he is awesome, so overall this band is very ecclectic, but a lot of fun to listen to.

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:25 PM Post #7 of 36
i also have a calexico album that I'd recommend. they have a very interesting and varied sound.

good stuff!

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:34 PM Post #9 of 36
Gregg Rolie did two CD's on his own, both have wonderful music, specially if you like the early Santana flavor:

Gregg Rolie: Abraxas Pool
Gregg Rolie: Roots

Enjoy,
W

Jan 17, 2004 at 9:25 PM Post #10 of 36
tomek: I could answer that.. Quote from their website history section: "... Band's trademark sound of fast, melodic and keyboard oriented heavy metal with clear and high vocals was born." They have mp3 samples on their site.
(Though, the name is actually Sonata Arctica..
wink.gif
)

Edit: I like their sound quality.. pretty good (or very good..).

Jan 18, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #12 of 36
This is simply the best album I've heard in the last two years. Neutral Milk Hotel's "In The Aeroplane over the Sea"

Neutral Milk hotel was one of a couple bands born of the "Elephant 6", a group of young musicans who dabble in surrealism, psychedeldia, punk rock, tubas and musical saws. A collective of friends and musical experimenters devoted to 4-track machines and the outskirt possiblies of pop. There's a lot to read about them, but one term bandied about was "Fuzz Folk". It's a great sound. It's fresh. Other groups that came out of the Elephant 6 were Apples in Stereo and Olivia Tremor Control. Other members founded the recording studio "Pet Sound Studios" - so maybe this gives you an idea where they're coming from musically. These guys are earthy, lo-fi, brilliant, and "In The Aeroplane over the Sea" should not be missed. Read the review. I would be glowing there too, but I'm too lazy to post on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...06568?v=glance

All I can say it that it's hard to find real genius,. This is an amazing album.

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:09 AM Post #14 of 36
Faithless - Outrospective

David Hudson - Aboriginal didgeridoo music

Jan 19, 2004 at 5:29 AM Post #15 of 36
Not very obscure, but some hiphop greats--

Freestyle Fellowship: Innercity Griots. Aceyalone & company really have a special chemistry going on in this album.

Latyrx: Latyrx. The opening track MUST, MUST be heard on headphones. Unbelievable. And some tracks were produced by DJ Shadow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back