Recommend some good foreign movies
Apr 26, 2009 at 10:47 PM Post #32 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by limpidglitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess you already know that Oldboy is considered to be a part of a trilogy.

But anyways, it goes like this: Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance — Oldboy — Lady Vengeance

How about super classics?

8 1/2 (Fellini) (Italy)
Metropolis (Lang) (Germany)
The Seventh Seal (Bergmann) (Sweden)

Just to mention a few.

Yeah I knew that and have seen all 3, didn't think they were half as good as Oldboy was. I'm getting the other 3 you listed though and most of the movies that have been recommended so far, I usually try to watch one movie a night if I can minus the weekends.

Apr 26, 2009 at 11:16 PM Post #33 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by dgbiker1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not asian, but City of God (S. American) is my favorite movie by far.

For everyone mentioning Cidade de Deus (2002) (City of God), you would probably enjoy Tropa de Elite (2007)

Not a huge fan of City of God as I had seen a few similar movies beforehand, thought it was fairly good but not great, I hear it's better on second watch...Maybe one day.

Maxvla has the right idea(for the first 2 anyways, haven't seen the others) for Asian comedy, then crazy movies like Visitor Q, Oldboy, Ichi the Killer for whatever genre that's classified as lol and finally drama genre with movies such as Dare mo shiranai (2004), Shi gan (2006) and Nabbeun namja (2001) are basically what I'm looking for, all those hidden gems with under 3k imdb votes and no cover pic that I never got to see.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #34 of 38
Besides the earlier mentioned free-streaming Herzog, you should know that The Auteurs has some free flicks up at the moment (I haven't yet seen) and many more for a small charge. They also have an informative user base in their forums.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:42 AM Post #35 of 38
Asian:
Raise the Red Lantern
Eat Drink Man Woman
Ikiru

French:
Breathless
Au Revoir Les Enfants
Amelie

Italian:
Umberto D
La Strada
The Bicycle Thief

Latin:
Maria Full of Grace
Talk to Her
And like others have mentioned, City of God, which is just an amazing film. Tsotsi is a similar movie but set in S.Africa, also really good.

Apr 27, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #36 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quaddy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
funny games (original)

Wow if he doesn't want Asian horror I don't think Funny Games is going to go over all that well lol.

Apr 27, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #37 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by smrtby123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow if he doesn't want Asian horror I don't think Funny Games is going to go over all that well lol.

Actually I thought the USA remake of Funny Games was pretty good, haven't gotten around to seeing the original as it will feel somewhat like a rewatch. Similar scenario of whoever mentioned Infernal Affairs, saw the USA remake Departed which swept the oscars and won best picture before seeing the original, which took a bit away from it.

I mentioned no horror as I've found that genre has the lowest % turnout of good movies for asian foreign flicks, especially from Japan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back