Recommend me super-cheap cans.
Apr 10, 2005 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

Jman999

Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of cans for <20 USD shipped. No clip-ons, earbuds or canalphones. Don't really care if it's isolating or not, as long as it doesn't leak too much. (No Gradoesque phones). Comfort is priority, and if I don't get any good suggestions I'll buy a cheap pair of Maxell HP-2000 cheap off ebay.

Thanks in Advance,
-Jonathan.

Apr 10, 2005 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 21
KSC75s blow HP2000s out of the water IMHO. I dont think they leak a ton unless you listen to them fairly loud.... FYI I have both.

Garrett

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:20 AM Post #4 of 21
Strange, why deny clip-ons, earbuds, or canalphones? That's just plain low-budget suicide.

Apr 10, 2005 at 6:34 AM Post #5 of 21
<20 is a tall order, but how about Koss KTX-Pro1 (regular over the head design) or Koss KSC75 (earclip design). Both are about $15 at amazon.com, and low-end Koss headphones sound way better than they have a right to.

Apr 10, 2005 at 7:12 AM Post #6 of 21
Gemini Eggphones: $9.95 w/FREE shipping at:

http://www.electronicscity.com/produ...a41e5fc191bfa9

They are light, comfortable, and fold up nicely. They are the same style as the Sony D22 Eggo's. The Eggphones are VERY bassy, and would be great for a basshead, but they are also pretty muffled everywhere else. With some EQ'ing they can sound pretty good overall, strong bass, and much more forward mids. I find them 'fun' to listen to, and good for the price if you can EQ them, and like bass. Here's a pic of what my EQ looks like in iTunes:

eggphones3xg.jpg

Here's a couple pics of them next to my Sony D66 Eggo's (the Eggphones are on the right):

eggphones001medium9no.jpg

eggphones003medium0qn.jpg

eggphones005medium4si.jpg

Apr 10, 2005 at 8:36 AM Post #7 of 21
Cheap is as cheap does. $20 with shipping? Gads man, things couldn't be that bad could they? $20 will get me a half of a tank of gas in my car, and that will last 3 days. Save a few more quarters and you'll vastly improve your chances of getting exceptable sound.

Apr 10, 2005 at 12:49 PM Post #8 of 21
I've got a suggestion that I've given to at least four people I know personally: Koss KSC-50/55. One has a headband, one is clip on, both can be found under $20, and both sound equally great for the money.

A fear of
etysmile.gif
ing won't get you anywhere,
Abe

Apr 10, 2005 at 2:42 PM Post #9 of 21
I'll second the motion in favor of the Koss KTX Pro, which has been a perennial in my garden o' phones for at least 10 years. Comfy, cheap and comes with the all-important inline sensitivity control, aka volume control. Good for dialing out hiss in portable gear.

Want to go really cheap? Shock your snooty-fi friends with the Coby CV-130, still available at some Big Lots stores for $6. Also has an inline sensitivity control and adds a mono/stereo switch. Must be modified slightly (an easy job).

Don't fear the cheaper. Mazel tov.

Walt Brand

Team Planar
Team Critical Damping
Doctor Sock

Apr 10, 2005 at 5:24 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia
Strange, why deny clip-ons, earbuds, or canalphones? That's just plain low-budget suicide.

That's what I'm thinking. The KSC 75s are very good phones for about $15, but they are clip-ons. You might want to consider them.
rolleyes.gif

Beggars can't be choosers.
icon10.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 8:52 PM Post #11 of 21
I also recommend the KTXPro1's. They're a little muddy (IMO; I'm using a Zen Xtra, no amp), but respond well to EQ and are, overall, great for $15.

Apr 10, 2005 at 8:55 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by wualta
Want to go really cheap? Shock your snooty-fi friends with the Coby CV-130, still available at some Big Lots stores for $6. Also has an inline sensitivity control and adds a mono/stereo switch. Must be modified slightly (an easy job).

What's the Coby CV-130 mod?

("Get some Blu-Tak, a drill, 3 feet of $15/ft. cable, some Vaseline, a $20 1/8" plug, etc...")
biggrin.gif

Apr 10, 2005 at 9:18 PM Post #13 of 21
Labtec Elite 840/Creative HQ-1300!

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Apr 10, 2005 at 10:44 PM Post #14 of 21
Yeah i have the labtech they sound good and have a nice long cord. The Koss MTX pro1s are good too. The phillips HP900 are an eggo alternative. Koss KSC75 for portable. Phillips HP170 dont sound bad, and the portapro2.

You should be able to find one of these around for less then $20.

Apr 11, 2005 at 12:22 AM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by tradja
What's the Coby CV-130 mod?
("Get some Blu-Tak, a drill, 3 feet of $15/ft. cable, some Vaseline, a $20 1/8" plug, etc...")

.... 8 ohm speaker wire, bean curd, stacked Yagis centered on channel 6...

No, nothing like that. Coby stuck some strange and uncomfortable spacer rings under the foam pads that cover the earpieces. Carefully pull off the foam pads to expose the rings, peel off the rings, stick 'em to something that needs 'em, and put the foam pads back on.

Sennheiser taught us decades ago that you can have bass with a supra-aural open-back 'phone, but you must get the diaphragm as close to the ear as possible. The rings were flagrantly violating this principle, so they had to go. Why did Coby put 'em there? Dunno. There sure is more bass without 'em.

Walt Brand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back