Recommend me some strings?
Sep 6, 2010 at 12:34 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

kwitel

Headphoneus Supremus
Actually looking for more 20th century/modern material.

Not necessarily minimal; would like something emotive and maybe a little dark, like Michael Nyman or Clint Mansell but NOT a movie soundtrack. Am looking for longer compositions.
Also love the style of music in the "A Single Man" soundtrack.

Any string based, non-soundtrack recommendations?

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:28 AM Post #2 of 8
Hilary Hahn - Barber & Meyer Violin Concertos

The Meyer Violin Concerto was composed especially for Hahn so its modern. It's spread over 2 movements and over 25 minutes long, so it is one of the longer composition. Highly recommended.

Sep 6, 2010 at 10:34 AM Post #3 of 8
You might like:

Philip Glass: Concerto For Violin And Orchestra / Alfred Schnittke: Concerto Grosso No. 5, for Violin, an Invisible Piano & Orchestra - Gidon Kremer

I think that the three pieces on this will be of great interest to you.

Glass is very well known of course, I think that in this Concerto his ingenious placement of recurring themes is really very interesting. I think Schnittke is a much more developed composer than Glass in some ways, you will find there is much to explore in the Concertor Grosso.

The Glass on this CD is accessible and immediately enjoyable. Schnittke might take a bit of time to get to know.

You might like:

Kronos Caravan

This contains several pieces by different composers.

This CD is all accessible and immediately enjoyable.

The Kronos quartet has done a lot of work with contemporary composers, so you may want to have a look at their recordings.

There is much more of course but these have come to mind immediately.

Sep 6, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #4 of 8

Quote:
You might like:

Philip Glass: Concerto For Violin And Orchestra / Alfred Schnittke: Concerto Grosso No. 5, for Violin, an Invisible Piano & Orchestra - Gidon Kremer

I think that the three pieces on this will be of great interest to you.

Glass is very well known of course, I think that in this Concerto his ingenious placement of recurring themes is really very interesting. I think Schnittke is a much more developed composer than Glass in some ways, you will find there is much to explore in the Concertor Grosso.

The Glass on this CD is accessible and immediately enjoyable. Schnittke might take a bit of time to get to know.

You might like:

Kronos Caravan

This contains several pieces by different composers.

This CD is all accessible and immediately enjoyable.

The Kronos quartet has done a lot of work with contemporary composers, so you may want to have a look at their recordings.

There is much more of course but these have come to mind immediately.

Patrick-

I should have mentioned in my initial post that I am a big Glass fan. Have almost everyhting he's ever done, including his Conecertos (along with Akhnaten). Its terrific.

I do have some Kronos material but not what you suggested. I will surley look into that and the others.
Thank You.

Sep 22, 2010 at 11:02 PM Post #5 of 8
Cmon peoples, wheres the love?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back