Recommend me some new headphones, prefer <£20 delivered.
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:01 PM Post #16 of 25
The JVC HA-S160 doesn't look impressive, however it sounds quite good. Sound quality is what counts. Don't let the low price fool you. Imo it sounds better than a number of headphones that are more than double the price. It also feels quite sturdy. The Superlux 681 seems like the only suggestion under 20 quid(assuming you don't want the Radiopaq Jazz iem) that might be better than the HA-S160. The HA-S160 is quite compact, while the Superlux is large. I guess the size doesn't matter though.

Apr 16, 2012 at 9:24 PM Post #17 of 25
Apr 16, 2012 at 9:28 PM Post #18 of 25
Btw, I don't what your onboard is like, but you should probably get a separate soundcard like the Xonar DG which I've got. My computer described my onboard as "High definition Audio device". I can tell you it was far from it. It was terrible. Outputted such a terrible sound, i.e lots and lots of sibilance and no bass. If your OB is the same then you might think the headphones are to blame. 

I bought my DG for £27. If you fish around you might get it for less. Ebay usually have a few on auction as well.

Apr 17, 2012 at 6:09 AM Post #19 of 25
Quote:
Btw, I don't what your onboard is like, but you should probably get a separate soundcard like the Xonar DG which I've got. My computer described my onboard as "High definition Audio device". I can tell you it was far from it. It was terrible. Outputted such a terrible sound, i.e lots and lots of sibilance and no bass. If your OB is the same then you might think the headphones are to blame. 

I bought my DG for £27. If you fish around you might get it for less. Ebay usually have a few on auction as well.

"High Definition Audio Device" can refer to a large variety of onboard chips. On my main computer the onboard sound is a VIA VT1708S. I'm not sure what "sibilance" refers to, but certainly the chip provides more than adequate bass. I did recently try a Creative Labs Soundblaster Audigy 4 (that I happened to have passing through my possession), and I could tell no difference at all on either headphones or speakers (my speakers are Razer Mako 2.1s - I won them a few years back). I think perhaps you need to start using very expensive headphones or speakers before there's any noticeable difference between good onboard and more expensive solutions to the untrained ear.

EDIT:
After a bit of googling, it seems at the moment for me to be between the Superlux 681s, the Kitsound KSDJs and the devil I know, the Sennheiser HD201s.

Apr 17, 2012 at 4:15 PM Post #20 of 25

Quote:
Why would it not? If you wish to imply that all low-mid end headphones are the same, even I can tell you that you're terribly mistaken.

Thanks others for more helpful responses, I'll check them out.

Thanks also for the tip on the XB300s, Ubersanger.

EDIT: Monoprice appears to be a U.S. retailer, and the JVC item looks awful compared to others recommended above (and is widely available for £8 delivered, whatever its list price might be).

The Koss items look a little small, and I don't want or need to pay extra for portability.

I did some reading on the Maxell Retro DJs which suggested that they leak a bit of sound (which I suppose I could live with) but also, more worryingly, that they lack a lot of treble and bass. At this rate I look set towards another set of HD201s. They're actually £5 more expensive now than when I first bought them 6 years ago.

My sincere apologies, don't know what got into me.  I have a pair of HD 201's and still find them an excellent phone.  My only other suggestions would be the Koss Porta Pro and even a lowend used AKG.
Again, sorry for my rude remarks.

Apr 17, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #21 of 25
You should try listening to these, rather than judging them on looks. The Sony XB500 received good reviews, however the reviews on the XB300 are mostly quite negative.

Apr 18, 2012 at 12:19 AM Post #22 of 25
@thread starter: About the superlux, they are a very bright headphone. But you can equalize them to make the treble a little more balanced. Stock, they won't sound awful. But you may hear higher pitched sounds a lot more prominent.

Also, the JVC have pretty simple mods. One includes simply taking some foam like material and stuffing it on the inside of the earpad to even out the bass response. There are a lot others out there that are quite simple. Though, they arn't very portable, so I wouldn't recommend using them with an IPod or anything. Due to the headband having such a large width they can't be comfortably worn on the neck for transport.

Apr 20, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #23 of 25
After much reading and research I ended up going with HD202 IIs. They were the headphones that the professional reviews seemed best pleased with as all-rounders with no outstanding faults or need for mods or equalising, and that sounded like my ticket. Thanks for suggestions all, much appreciated.

Apr 21, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #24 of 25

Quote:
After much reading and research I ended up going with HD202 IIs. They were the headphones that the professional reviews seemed best pleased with as all-rounders with no outstanding faults or need for mods or equalising, and that sounded like my ticket. Thanks for suggestions all, much appreciated.

Congrats on your decision - be sure to give us all a review after you've had them for a bit.

Apr 28, 2012 at 10:36 AM Post #25 of 25

Quote:

Congrats on your decision - be sure to give us all a review after you've had them for a bit.

I will try to do a thorough write-up in a couple of months perhaps.

In the meantime, I've just started using the headphones.

Packaging: That annoying hard transparent plastic kind that you have to open with brutal force or a sharp implement, generally with significant risk of lacerating your hands on the plastic or breaking the product. Frankly. I'd rather they shipped them loose in the Amazon box than this.

First impressions upon unboxing: I was a little worried by the size of the the earcups, but they're actually pretty comfortable. So much so in fact that I might even be able to use these as portables while out running (the only time I listen to music on the go), which certainly could not be said of my HD201s. Build quality is as good as you could expect from largely plastic headphones (which is perfectly reasonable at this price).

Sound: Noticeably bassier than the HD201s, but not excessively so at all. Detail and crispness (most noticeably for me at the lower end) isn't as good as my Razer Mako 2.1 speakers, but then they retail for 10 times the price, include a 7KG sub and aren't headphones.

Isolation: I wouldn't have believed how good it is. When I first tried them on (not plugged in), I had music playing at a medium volume in the room. Headphones on, total silence. Very impressive.

Other thoughts: My word this is a long cable. Much like the HD201s in that regard. Seems robust, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back