recommend me some Jazz
May 16, 2007 at 2:53 PM Post #31 of 45
Dave Weckl's "Transistion" is one of the finest contemporary jazz albums of all time. One of the masters at polyrhythms. His sense of timing is impeccable.

May 16, 2007 at 3:12 PM Post #32 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by lstn2mee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ahhh.....jazz. Try Dave Brubeck - Take Five, truly timeless. Any of the Verve Remixed (or Unmixed), Volume 1 is my favorite. Miles Davis, anything Jaco, and also Weathereport. Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and Madeline Peyroux will fill the bill if a voacal fan. Also check out Ramsey Lewis - Sun Goddess. Good luck, and enjoy!

Hey, I had the monkey avatar first... step off
tongue.gif
(kidding)

May 16, 2007 at 4:49 PM Post #34 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Fair enough. And it is those type of purists(?) traditionalists(?) that give jazz the negative snobbish stigma that it has. And I'll bet that same music professor scoffs at the notion of a...gulp...guitar being used in a jazz recording. Arguing whether the latter is jazz is like saying the beatles and Elvis is "real rock and roll" but Metallica or Coldplay is not??

I'll give you this...that much of Spyro Gyra's music(but not all), and the Rippington's and Jeff Lorber, Chuck Loeb, etc. etc and virtually EVERYTHING that is played on Clear Channel's "smooth jazz" stations is NOT jazz. It ranges from pop instrumental to R & B to adult contemporary. BUT, there is also loads of other modern day contemporary jazz with tons of improvisation that certainly fits the bill of jazz.

I am not knocking traditional jazz but so much of it lacks any sense of melody that it is difficult for newcomers of jazz to understand. Often times it is easier to start with something a little more melodic and work backwards from there.

I happen to be on of those "jazz snobs"
wink.gif
And for the record I'm starting to "like" guitars (acoustic) on some tracks... now, electronic keyboards and bass guitar is where I DRAW THE LINE!!!!
mad.gif

direct quote: "Melody in jazz is often largely improvised, and it tends to be more complex than melody in most other popular music. It also draws from the African-American musical traditions."

It's easier to start off with the prebob era and work towards the avant-garde.. Kind of Blue has a nice cool modal structure, which is easy to follow..

May 16, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #35 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's easier to start off with the prebob era and work towards the avant-garde.. Kind of Blue has a nice cool modal structure, which is easy to follow..

Is that pre Bob Brookmeyer or some other Bob?
wink.gif

I think it really depends where you're coming from in terms of the "best" place to start exploring jazz. For example, if you are coming from a mostly classical experience I would say that you are right on the money Morph. But, if you are coming from a rock experience don't you think there would be music more suited to one's taste looking in the post-bop era?

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:02 AM Post #37 of 45
If you are into old Dixie Jazz, try Preservation Hall...Even better, go listen to them if you ever go to New Orleans.

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #38 of 45
SOIL&"PIMP"SESSIONS is sick jazz from recent years. i haven't found any of their records here in the states. the album PIMP OF THE YEAR is awesome.

yes, it's in all caps, Japanese artists like to do that. Coltrane, i think you would especially enjoy this group. really energetic and fun. some of their stuff is a bit too free-jazzy for my tastes, but PIMP OF THE YEAR is gold through and through.

Jun 30, 2007 at 7:35 AM Post #39 of 45
Why has no one mentioned The Detroit Experiment? An awesome, and very accessible jazz record.

Get it. I promise you won't be disappointed.

http://www.amazon.com/Detroit-Experiment/dp/B000089CP8

As a matter of fact, I just searched, and the last time it was talked about (in 2003) it got one reply. That thread is getting a bump from the grave!

Jun 30, 2007 at 5:48 PM Post #40 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Herbie Hanc0ck - Headhunters (electric, classic stuff)

That's what I was going to say. Really funky, catchy, and accessible.

Jun 30, 2007 at 6:28 PM Post #41 of 45
Definitely get Headhunters.

For some great drumming, check out The Bad Plus, their first album These Are The Vistas and their newest, Prog are their best imo, and while not particularly funky they devote a fair amount of their album to covers of songs you might know. Dave King is an absolute monster.

You'd also probably enjoy Medeski Martin & Wood, Billy Martin is another great current drummer. I like End Of The World Party a lot, but I'm not that knowledgeable about their whole discography. They also have a lot of free live concerts at http://bt.etree.org/

For some older stuff, definitely get Kind Of Blue, and also something with from the quintet with Tony Williams on drums, like Miles Smiles. It's a little difficult at first, but it's some of the best stuff out there. And My Favorite Things is a great intro to John Coltrane. Art Blakey's Moanin' has some awesome drumming and is pretty catchy in a good way, and would also probably be a perfect start.

Jul 4, 2007 at 8:17 PM Post #44 of 45
I don't tend to go to jazz for "funky" but I think that Zappa's Make A Jazz Noise Here would qualify, and it's rock background makes it very accessible to jazz neophytes.

Jul 5, 2007 at 2:28 PM Post #45 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltrane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Art Blakey - Free For All. Maybe the greatest jazz drumming on record, especially when it comes to in your face drumming.

Thanks for the recommendation. There's some great stuff on that album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back