recommend me some Jazz
May 14, 2007 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

needanamp

100+ Head-Fier
so.. of you go

bear in mind im new to the genre, so it needs to be easily accessible, i.e CATCHY and FUNKY

(some jazz with a hip hop twist would be ace too).

thankyou.

May 14, 2007 at 9:21 PM Post #2 of 45
Perhaps this is a start: :"DJ SMASH - Phonography: Volume 2 - (Blue Note) - US release date: 25 February 2003" Link to Pitchfork Review

Cantaloop -- the remix of Herbie Han****'s "Cantaloupe Island" is an acid-jazz standard.

May 14, 2007 at 9:36 PM Post #3 of 45
Ahhh.....jazz. Try Dave Brubeck - Take Five, truly timeless. Any of the Verve Remixed (or Unmixed), Volume 1 is my favorite. Miles Davis, anything Jaco, and also Weathereport. Diana Krall, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, and Madeline Peyroux will fill the bill if a voacal fan. Also check out Ramsey Lewis - Sun Goddess. Good luck, and enjoy!

May 14, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #5 of 45
Some funky, and occasionally electronic albums.

Saint Germain - Tourist (electro jazz from the late 90s)
Miles Davis - A Tribute to Jack Johnson (greatest jazz, funk, and rock record ever made.)
Lee Morgan - The Sidewinder (all acoustic, with a funky title track)
Herbie Hanc0ck - Headhunters (electric, classic stuff)

Good luck!

May 14, 2007 at 10:20 PM Post #6 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by needanamp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
so.. of you go

bear in mind im new to the genre, so it needs to be easily accessible, i.e CATCHY and FUNKY

(some jazz with a hip hop twist would be ace too).

thankyou.

You want a hip hop twist? Try Wynton Marsalis: From the Plantation to the Penetentiary

May 15, 2007 at 12:10 AM Post #7 of 45
I was thinking about this request, and the gospel/soul movement in late-50s, early-60s jazz came to mind. Needanamp, have a look at The Incredible Jimmy Smith, and utterly swinging maestro of the Hammond B organ. [Indeed, the Blue Note Sound from the 60s should be in strong sympathy.) Then, when you feel like getting ever-so-slightly more high-tone, go for Charles Mingus' famous 'Ah-Um'. Last, when the jazz part is starting to make intuitive sense, try Coletrane's 'A Love Supreme'.

Don't get me wrong -- Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond are utterly swinging and have some of the most intricate and innovative rhythms of 50s jazz. But for somebody coming to jazz from hip-hop, Brubeck may not be the most obvious source of fascinatin' rhythm (but then again, he might rule).

May 15, 2007 at 3:29 AM Post #8 of 45
I always recommend Miles Davis - Kind of Blue as the Granddaddy of all accessible jazz pieces.

Mingus Ah Um and Love Supreme are two of my all time favorites but I was on my 20th listen of Love Supreme as a jazz novice before something clicked for me - so I don't know if it's immediately accessible to all. I would put Ah Um in the same category. Must hears, nonetheless.

For accessible, you might try something by Coleman Hawkins - perhaps The Hawk Flies High. Very talented and versatile but always as smooth as peanut butter on Wonder Bread. I would include describe Ben Webster in a similar way. Try his Soulville. Or kill 2 birds with one stone and check out Coleman Hawkins Encounters Ben Webster from 1957.

If the jazz bug bites - and you'll know it when you are giving the 15th or 20th listen to a piece you have never quite gotten and something just clicks and can't ever be unclicked - there is nothing like it.

Enjoy.

May 15, 2007 at 3:30 PM Post #9 of 45
Jimmy Smith - "The Sermon"

May 15, 2007 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 45
Also, try a couple of Blue Mitchell's works:

- The Cup Bearers
- Blue's Soul
- Blue's Mood

All highly recommended, all easily accessible... The Cup Bearers is awesome, great SQ too!
wink.gif

John Coltrane's Ole is also a great record (masterpiece)! The title track clocks in at 18 minutes.. but it's hypnotic from the first note! Make sure you have a rig with good bass response! That will blow ya socks off!!!
wink.gif

May 15, 2007 at 3:53 PM Post #11 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by bebanovich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I always recommend Miles Davis - Kind of Blue as the Granddaddy of all accessible jazz pieces.

Best place to start IMO. After that maybe "take five" and then the Verve "remixes" for a nice variety of classics.

May 15, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #12 of 45
while not a classic you might like spyro gryra -- i've always loved "catching the sun." definitely has some catchy rhythms.

May 15, 2007 at 7:53 PM Post #14 of 45
You might enjoy Charlie Hunter, something like Ready... Set... Shango! or Natty Dread. They aren't Hip Hop, but they certainly have a groove that is likely to appeal to you.

May 15, 2007 at 8:35 PM Post #15 of 45
"Accessible, Catchy and Funky" I'd say...

Marcus Miller (about as funky jazz bass player as there is)
Christian McBride ("Live at Tonic", with special guests Scratch from The Roots AND DJ Logic)
Rippingtons is VERY accessible with a fair amount of funk.

..and these suggestions aren't 50 year old jazz offerings
blink.gif

Not necessarily classics (not yet anyway) but it's present day stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back