Recommend me some Classical
Sep 6, 2011 at 11:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

samsquanch

500+ Head-Fier
I've always enjoyed classical music, but never really went out of my way to learn much about composers, or really dig into the genre in general.  I do have a few that I've picked up through the years, so I'll give my thoughts on the ones I really liked, as a sort of aid to help direct me.  (keep in mind that I don't necessarily have the vocabulary to describe exactly what I'm hearing, so bear with me)

Tchaikovsky - Piano Concerto & Violin Concerto - I really like the dynamics and how the music moves as though it's dancing.

Brahms - String Quintets #1 & 2 - these pieces are very soothing, I really like relaxing to this album.

Wagner - The Ring Without Words - It's powerful and, although I hate this words, epic.

Also, today I was introduced to Stravinsky's "The Rite Of Spring."  I'm a fan of avant garde and noise music, so this really interested me in how he pushed what was going on then into something people were seemingly not ready for.

If it helps any, I'm really into early heavy metal, thrash metal, black metal, classic psych and prog rock, avant garde, jazz, and experimental music.

Thanks ahead of time.

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #2 of 9
Since we share a lot of the same non-classical tastes -- and because you liked what you heard from Stravinsky -- I'd recommend my two favorite pieces by Bela Bartok: "Concerto for Orchestra" and "Music for Strings, Percussion and Celesta."

That's just a starting place, of course...

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:05 AM Post #3 of 9
Cool I'll check that out

Quote:
That's just a starting place, of course...

I think that the sheer magnitude of works is what has made me shy away from really diving in, so here goes nothing!

Sep 7, 2011 at 12:32 AM Post #4 of 9
I should add that the Reiner/Chicago Symphony Orchestra version of the Bartok works is the one to get: http://www.amazon.com/Bartok-Concerto-Orchestra-Percussion-Hungarian/dp/B000003FEJ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1315369743&sr=8-1

There's no question that the massive scope of what we call "classical music" is intimidating... but once you get the bug, you'll realize that there are so many types of music under the "classical" umbrella that you'll never, ever be sick of listening to your music collection again.

Sep 7, 2011 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 9
I've always wondered if there were some underground pirating rings set up between classical aficionados the way there are for other genres of music.

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #6 of 9
I would the recommend the Requiem of Mozart with Bernstein as a director and the Bach's Cello Suites

Sep 7, 2011 at 11:20 AM Post #7 of 9
I would recommend:
Camille Saint Saëns' Carnival of the Animals
Haydn's String Quartet in G Minor 'Rider' op. 74
Ravel's Quartet for Strings in F Major
(If you're not too tired of it already) Vivaldi's Four Seasons performed by Janine Jansen.  This recording is refreshing in its power and urgency.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:11 PM Post #9 of 9

Quote:
I would recommend:
Camille Saint Saëns' Carnival of the Animals
Haydn's String Quartet in G Minor 'Rider' op. 74
Ravel's Quartet for Strings in F Major
(If you're not too tired of it already) Vivaldi's Four Seasons performed by Janine Jansen.  This recording is refreshing in its power and urgency.

I just listened to Haydn's String Quartet, I'm really digging this.

Quote:
I've seen just enough to believe there is.

Like the old heavy metal tape trade scene, or like Grateful Dead show bootlegging? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back