Recommend me some Caps for my Ibasso P3
May 28, 2009 at 2:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

SpudHarris

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to roll the 6.3v 3300uf caps out of my P3 and replace with a decent pair of 16v 3300uf's or similar. I want something decent but also readily available.

I believe that SQ will be improved when using a decent PSU and my intention is to use my 24v Graham Slee PSU1. The difference this PSU made to my Solo was astonishing compared to the intro unit.

Of course there are voltage issues with certain OpAmps to consider and of course an adapter for the input jack but these would be minor issues if it improves the SQ.

Firstly, any thoughts or concerns please post before I do anything I'll regret and secondly if it's feasible? recommendations for caps would be great!!

Cheers
Nigel

May 28, 2009 at 2:32 PM Post #2 of 3
Nigel...
Do not use a 24v adapter with your P3 or you will see it disappear in a cloud of smoke! Many of the internal components will not tolerate this voltage.

With the appropriate opamps for your phones and musical tastes, the P3 is one of the best sounding portable amps available, even with the standard input voltage.

May 28, 2009 at 3:16 PM Post #3 of 3
Thanks Ron,... I think I read a PM reply from Ryuzoh incorrectly. I assumed it was just the electrolytics but yeh I take on board when he says ''caps'' it's all of them. I can't be bothered if that's the case too much margin for error on my part.

How about a better/regulated PSU? has anyone else tried one?

Don't get me wrong this is one fine sounding amp and easily the best and most versatile portable I've ever owned, but..... I had the Solo Intro for about 8 months and was absolutely happy with the performance, to my ears with my Denon AH-D2000's it was a great sounding amp. Then I bought the PSU1 and the difference is amazing! So surely the same would apply to the P3 with a better PSU??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back