Recommend me some books in English please
Nov 16, 2004 at 6:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Jorg

100+ Head-Fier
Since I joined the Head-Fi I noticed that my English improved a lot. At first I couldn't understand anything but now I feel comfortable to write on forums. But sometimes i have to read some long texts in English that have many new words and frase constructions for me.

So I concluded that the next step is to learn English from reading the books. Could you recommend me some books that are written in modern English and that are easy to read.

Thanks!

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:11 AM Post #2 of 50
Try these two:

056347589ng.jpg

019860862.jpg

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

but seriously, i find reader's digest or time are good materials to improve your skills.

Book wise, i dont read that much book, so i wouldnt be able to tell you.
LOTR perhaps ?

Nov 17, 2004 at 10:42 AM Post #5 of 50
I've read Anna Karenina in Russian and it's one of my favorite books too. Frankly I don't know a person that didn't read Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" and "War and Peace". Thanks for suggestion, I'll definately look into it!

Nov 17, 2004 at 2:52 PM Post #6 of 50
LOTR is good.

I love Tolstoy, too, but for improving your English skills with a book, I think I'd go for something a bit easier to digest, more contemporary and less formal. You might want to look at some novels by John Irving (A Prayer for Owen Meany, The World According to Garp), Tom Wolfe (Bonfire of the Vanities, A Man in Full) or other books like that.

If you don't mind books that were originally written in other languages and translated into English, you could check out some of Gabriel Garcia Marquez (100 Years of Solitude, Love in the Time of Cholera). He writes truly excellent and involving stories.

Of course, just reading anything in English will help your skills. The New York Times is generally well-written (www.nytimes.com) I think it's good that you're looking outside the forum for material. Even though this forum is heads and shoulders above many others, there are many non-native English speakers here as well as some native speakers who like to play fast and loose with their grammar.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:02 PM Post #7 of 50
I don't really have many suggestions of my own but I do remember that my english-teacher recommended Stephen King novels since those are supposed to be written in a good yet comprehensible english. Apart from that fact I can say from my own experience that many of the books are actually very good
biggrin.gif
. Even if you're not into the fantasy/horror genre you might like King since he also wrote some stories without fantasy-aspects. One of my favorite books is "Different Seasons" (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books) a collections of four short novels. Highly recommended

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:31 PM Post #8 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by viator122
LOTR is good.

LOTR is a difficult book for beginner. Even I, who have spent my last 7 years in Australia and US can't understand some part of it.

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:50 PM Post #9 of 50
LOTR is ok, but Tolkien is a little over rated in my opinion. His books read like childrens novels with maybe 2 female characters and absolutely no adult relationships.

Really engaging books that don't use a lot of extremely complex english:

Anything by Piers Anthony... The Xanth series if you have a young sense of humour and the Incarnations of Immortality series if you want something that deals with more mature subject matter. His older Science Fiction stuff is great as well [Cthon is awesome].

I would also like to recommend a few of my favourite books that may be a little more challenging, but not by a large margin:

A Trio for Lute - R. A. MacAvoy [actually three books in one... Damiano, Damiano's Lute and Raphael] - the rest of her books are very good as well
Jobe, A Comedy of Justice - Robert Heinlein
Ars Magica - Judith Tarr
Tigana - Guy Gavriel Kay

Nov 17, 2004 at 5:58 PM Post #11 of 50
The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Waller is easy to read.
But if you're in a sentimental mood it will make you cry like a baby
biggrin.gif

The Harry Potter books are good for reading in English too. A bit more difficult words than TBoMC but still good to follow because they're childrens books.

Just don't start with Jane Austen.

BTW. Head-Fi has improved my English a lot too.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:09 PM Post #12 of 50
Hemmingway!

His style is very short, sparse, easy to read and understand. And enjoyable. You might want to wait on trying For Whom the Bell Tolls for a later date, but I would say something like The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms would be just the ticket for someone who would like to read a book in English! Old Man and the Sea is a great thematic novel too, give it a try after reading my first two recommendations!

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:13 PM Post #13 of 50
Ah, I think Lisa hit the right spot -- Harry Potter should be an excellent starting point. It's a lengthy read, engaging, not too difficult in terms of sentence stucture/vocabulary, yet still presents a slight challenge: perfect.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:27 PM Post #14 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by bLue_oNioN
Ah, I think Lisa hit the right spot -- Harry Potter should be an excellent starting point. It's a lengthy read, engaging, not too difficult in terms of sentence stucture/vocabulary, yet still presents a slight challenge: perfect.

I agree, they are good books as well. The Xanth novels by Piers Anthony are much the same.

Nov 17, 2004 at 6:53 PM Post #15 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jorg
Frankly I don't know a person that didn't read Tolstoy's "Anna Karenina" and "War and Peace".

Frankly, I don't know a person that was able to finish "War and Peace".

Just kidding.
tongue.gif

I'd seriously consider getting an English newspaper or a magazine. The Economist is very clearly written. Not as fun as some Tom Clancy though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back