Recommend me some albums/songs please!
Jun 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

ArrigoShred

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys!
New to the Music Forums of Head fi!

Just a little bit of background information that may help for you guys to recommend me some albums/pieces of music!

I'm 16 :p
Studying Music as part of the IB Course in a International School in Hong Kong!
Music preferences I don't really have anything to say about it. I would say im pretty open to trying out different genres of music.
For my timeline of music phases it would be
Punk Rock (Green Day) -> Metalcore (Bullet for My Valentine & Trivium) -> Classic Metal (Black Sabbath, Metallica) -> Blues & Rock (SRV and John Mayer) -> Kpop -> Guitar Instrumentals (John Mayer, Steve Vai, Andy Timmons, Paul Gilbert).

Currently I'm trying to listen to more genres and I've been listening to a lot of Eric Bennet lately. 
But I've always wanted to try some Jazz music, problem being I don't know where to start and what to listen to!

Can you guys give me suggestions?

I would want to get more into Jazz through the instrumental pieces! I've found the combination of Saxophone and Piano melodies interesting and I would like to listen to more pieces like that!

Thanks!

Arrigo~

Jun 27, 2011 at 8:57 PM Post #4 of 13
Some good jazz to start with - The Best of Bill Evans on Verve
Dave Brubeck Quartet - Time Out

Also if you want to enjoy some well recorded albums look into Thievery Corporation, all of their albums are very well done as are all Peter Gabriel albums. I highly recommend Up by Peter Gabriel. Cheers.

Jun 27, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #5 of 13
I second the dave brubeck recommendation. His quartet albums were genius. But, also really easily appreciated by the novice ear. Which might explain why time out is in the top 2 or 3 best selling jazz records of all time.
I would start there before moving to the more purist stuff like kind of blue. Which is the other must have jazz record.

Cheers

Jul 15, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #6 of 13
Good for you to want to expand your horizons.  This is a HUGE question.  I mean, if you want music from all genres, you better have a good budget as this could get expensive.  Here are some suggestions from my tottaly un-trained, but obsessive ear:

Manheim Steamroller:  Classical Gas (this one is a classic in the beginning new age/easy listening arena)

JAZZ:
Dave Brubeck:  Blue Rondo a la Turk, Take 5, My Romance
James Carter:  Bossa JC
Bela Fleck & the Flecktone:  Lover's Leap
Masabumi Kikuchi:  A Nightingale Sang in Barkley Square
John Scofield (w/ John Mayer):  I Don't Need No Doctor
Henry Mancini:  Baby Elephant Walk
George Winston:  Treat Street (a Vince Guaraldi classic)
Herbie Hancock:  Cantaloupe Island

These are some of my favorites of the "new to my library" mix that has given me an all new appreciation of things outside my normal listening realm.

Good luck!
Sproles

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:16 PM Post #7 of 13
Want to try something unique, Try these:

Shakti- A Handful of Beauty

Shaki- Natural Elements

Avial- Avial

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #8 of 13
I didn't realize. This post may not be applicable here. The earlier one is though, maybe.

Metal Core/ Deathcore

As I Lay Dying
As Blood Runs Black
Miss May I
Twelve Tribes
Still Remains
All That remains
Burst

Technical Death

Gojira
Meshuggah

Alt Metal

Boris
Baroness
Mastodon

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #9 of 13

Track listing (U.S. Version)

All songs by Barry Hay and George Kooymans, except where noted
"Radar Love" – 6:24
"Candy's Going Bad" – 6:12
"Vanilla Queen" – 9:20
"Big Tree, Blue Sea" – 8:13
"Are You Receiving Me" (John Fenton, Hay, Kooymans) – 9:32

This is also the track listing on the original UK vinyl release (see above), as well as on early U.S. LP pressings (Track/MCA 396).

There is this funny little record which came out in 1973 called Moontan.  The band is Golden Earring and the hit song was Radar Love.

This is a great album to study. One, because of the real or imagined tempo changes in Radar Love. There is also some other parts of the record which seem to be getting slower but stay in key! Radar Love seems to be getting faster but the question really is, does it get faster or are they making it seem this way.

It is a little hard to find the whole album like the US pressing listed here and it may never come out on CD that way. It is on vinyl though. Simple Blues based hard rock. A perfect legend of a record.   

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:36 PM Post #12 of 13
Diana Krall stuff is worth mentioning. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back