Recommend me ECM records!
Dec 20, 2002 at 10:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wab

500+ Head-Fier
I have some albums from Keith Jarrett (Trio and solo), Terje Rypdal, Markus Stockhausen, Steve Reich, early Pat Metheny that I all like very much. I also think everything on the Rune Grammofon label that is distributed by ECM is great. Unfortunately I can't buy every ECM cd out there. Who or what are your fav artists or albums on ECM? Also, a short description would be cool since their catalog consists of very different stuff.

Dec 20, 2002 at 11:09 PM Post #2 of 8
Where to start. . . .

1. Evan Parker, "Toward the Margins" and "Drawn Inward." European free improv from one of my favorite saxophonists. Also contains a good dose of electronics. Different than almost anything on ECM. If you want to find out more, go to ECM's site.

2. Roscoe Mitchell, "Nine to Get Ready." Orchestral improvisation, from a founder of the Art Ensemble of Chicago. Find out more here.

3. Anything by guitarist Ralph Towner, especially his duo with bassist Gary Peacock. This recording is stunning. Also try "Old and New Friends," with the great trumpet player Kenny Wheeler.

There are tons more, but this is a good place to start. As I think of more, I will post.

Dec 21, 2002 at 1:01 PM Post #3 of 8
1. Keith Jarrette : Anything during his solo period are great. If you don't have this one yet "The Koln Concert" pick it up.

2. John Surmann : "Private City" or "Invisible Nature" (Duo with Jack Dejohnette.)

Dec 30, 2002 at 11:25 PM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally posted by wab
I have some albums from Keith Jarrett (Trio and solo), Terje Rypdal, Markus Stockhausen, Steve Reich, early Pat Metheny that I all like very much. I also think everything on the Rune Grammofon label that is distributed by ECM is great. Unfortunately I can't buy every ECM cd out there. Who or what are your fav artists or albums on ECM? Also, a short description would be cool since their catalog consists of very different stuff.

Terje Rypdal lives only an half an hour drive away from my house
biggrin.gif

I see him once in a while in the local recordstore.
Check out Jan Garbarek - "I took up the runes", and "Rites". Excellent saxophone player...

Dec 31, 2002 at 12:36 AM Post #7 of 8
My favorite albums from ECM;

Heiner Goebbels, Surrogate Cities
Louis Sclavis, Acoustic Quartet
Luciano Berio, Voci
Jan Gabarek, Ragas and Sagas
Berlin Contemporary Jazz Orchestra

Users who are viewing this thread

Back