Recommend me Closed back, high end headphones for the workplace and complimenting amp/dac
Sep 27, 2015 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

redstar

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

I start a new job soon, and was looking to get a very nice closed back setup for my workspace. Im not sure what to go for.
The amp/dac needs to be portable, so i can take it home.
I mainly listen to punk/hardcore.
Im hot to sure on a price, but lets say a cap of 1,500,

My home setup is a burson and lcdx.
Thanks all.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:29 PM Post #2 of 21
http://www.aurenderdirect.com/dp/B00OFM8KMO The Aurender Flow is supposed to be pretty dang close to the Chord Hugo, and should have enough power for the X - great cans!

Otherwise, there's DAPs you could try like those from Fiio or A&K etc.

Sep 27, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the reply :)

I couldnt use the lcdx in a work environment, as they are very open. I need something thats closed. I did look at the lcd xc, but I find the headband on the lcdx quite uncomfy and assume the lcd xc is the same.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:11 PM Post #4 of 21
Ahhh, I misread your post, you need headphones too, then? What kind of sound are you going for? The Alpha Primes might give you a similar planar sound, while sounding open. Then some portable DAC/amp with that... should be easy for $1500.

Sep 27, 2015 at 7:22 PM Post #5 of 21
Yea i need some closed back headphones, a warm sound i assume, something that would compliment punk/rock/hardcore and electronic music.
And a amp/dac that works well with the suggest headphone, something portable.

Sep 28, 2015 at 1:20 AM Post #6 of 21
Anything from Mr. Speakers, ZMF, Sony Z7 Audeze EL-8C, the Beyerdynamic T70 and DT1770... start looking at those, then you can decide on source gear after that.

Sep 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM Post #7 of 21
Alpha Prime/Audeze Deckard for the DAC/Amp. The Deckard is also perfect for your LCDX at home.

Alpha Prime because they keep the sound in pretty good. Audis El-8 keep the leakage at a minimum even better, but there's a lot of defective pairs out there.

Sep 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm in a similar position as OP.  Thinking about getting a new pair of closed headphones and amp/dac.

Quote:
  Alpha Prime/Audeze Deckard for the DAC/Amp. The Deckard is also perfect for your LCDX at home.

Alpha Prime because they keep the sound in pretty good. Audis El-8 keep the leakage at a minimum even better, but there's a lot of defective pairs out there.

The Audeze EL8's were top of my list for a while.  Then I auditioned the Audeze EL8's at a local shop, and the sound was amazing (at least to me).  The seal was really good as well.  However, the connector to the right cup was very loose and could easily cut out.  Makes me nervous about buying a pair.  The Oppo PM-3 is the next pair on my list.

As for the amp/dac, I'm debating between the Oppo HA-2 and Schiit Bifrost / Lyr 2 (or maybe just the Lyr 2, since I've heard that the DAC in the MacPro is actually quite good already).  Seems like the Schiit stack would be much better if I wanted to upgrade later, but the HA-2 seems like it was matched for the PM-3.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:21 PM Post #11 of 21
If you have the money, sure, the Chord Hugo is supposed to be pretty good - or the Aurender Flow is about half the price and people say 98% the same in sound (perhaps a little more aggressive treble). Those two cans you mentioned would probably work great as well, though they're both rather new so information on them is slim and probably hyped.

Do you have any way to audition gear?

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 21
The deckard looks great, nice size. I am very fond of my audeze lcdx, however the headband is uncomfy after prolonged use, which isnt bad at home. I would wear the ones for work alot longer stretches, and im concerned the headband will be very uncomfy, as it looks the same design.

Sep 28, 2015 at 5:59 PM Post #14 of 21
Which can are you talking about for comfort? The EL-8 is different than the LCD series, and even so, the LCD series is getting new headband options (presumably) with announcement of the LCD-4.

Sep 28, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #15 of 21
  If you have the money, sure, the Chord Hugo is supposed to be pretty good - or the Aurender Flow is about half the price and people say 98% the same in sound (perhaps a little more aggressive treble). Those two cans you mentioned would probably work great as well, though they're both rather new so information on them is slim and probably hyped.

Do you have any way to audition gear?

Wow the Aurender Flow looks really awesome. It's has a very Nest-like appearance.  It's priced quite a bit higher than the other options mentioned like the HA-2/Schiit Bifrost+Lyr/Audeze Deckard, though.  Is the key difference the DSD support and mSATA port?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back