Recommend me closed, <$200 cans.
May 31, 2009 at 2:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 32

MeltedChalk

New Head-Fier
Looking for a new set of cans. Requirements are..

-<$200 hopefully
-Closed

Would definitely prefer something with a "Beat's by Dre" kind of signature. The only 2 decent cans I've been able to listen to are my hd595's and beats by dre(and turbines). And contrary to popular belief I enjoy the beats quite a bit more.

I'm not to good at picking out complicated musical acronyms, but from what6 I understand I want something that's "punchy", with very clear and articulated mids. Definitely enjoy deep and punchy bass, just as long as it's not bassy when it's not supposed to be.

I mainly listen to Prog rock/rock/etc.. and the like. U2, The Mars Volta, Some Nirvana, Queen, Radiohead.. you get the point.

I would prefer something that's easily driven, but I know I'm probably asking for too much already. Will usually be running them off of my cowon s9 or a "HOTAUDIO BIT PERFECT Dac" that's coming in the next few weeks.

A thanks in advance to anyone willing to read my generic "recommend me cans" thread. I know you guys have a lot of info, and feel much better pouring a bunch of money into something that suites my preferences well.

Thanks.

May 31, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #2 of 32
Ultrasone HFI780.
Great all around phones.Punchy and detailed bass.MUCH more detailed then Dre's Beats.Low impedance and in your prize range used.

May 31, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #4 of 32
Thanks for the recommendation. The only problem is I cannot find them anywhere online for<$200. Or anywhere near 200 that ships to canada. Any hints to where I might find a reliable seller with a decent price?

May 31, 2009 at 4:12 AM Post #5 of 32
This might be a little over your budget, but here in the states Grado sr225's are $200 and I'd say they match your music preference very well. Not sure about Radiohead, but when I listened to Mars' Volta Frances the Mute when I auditioned them it was a vastly different experience from anything else I'd ever heard.

May 31, 2009 at 6:21 AM Post #8 of 32
I had a short audition of the Shure SRH840 and they may be worth considering; I didn't find any glaring faults and they sounded rather nice. Forget the 240, the 440 is all right, but the 840 may be the new closed headphone to get.

May 31, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #9 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by yourstruly /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This might be a little over your budget, but here in the states Grado sr225's are $200 and I'd say they match your music preference very well. Not sure about Radiohead, but when I listened to Mars' Volta Frances the Mute when I auditioned them it was a vastly different experience from anything else I'd ever heard.

My original plan was to get grados' instead of senns, but no where online would ship them to Canada. Save the places with the 40% mark up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fungi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had a short audition of the Shure SRH840 and they may be worth considering; I didn't find any glaring faults and they sounded rather nice. Forget the 240, the 440 is all right, but the 840 may be the new closed headphone to get.

Thanks for the tip, looking for reviews on them now.

May 31, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #10 of 32
Are the Shure HP's released yet?

I have ordered a pair of JVC DX1 and will be throwing up my impressions when I get them and will do a full review after they burn in. From what I have read so far they seem like they might be a very set of phones depending on what you like. They are said to have great highs and midrange with alot of detail and are supposed to be fast but I have read some comments that they are bass light. Personally I am starting to not appreciate the "bass heavy" phones which is why I ordered the JVC. They look like they are well built too which is important.

May 31, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #12 of 32
I just bought a pair of HFI-780s new for $214 usd shipped to Canada yesterday from eBay, with potential cashbacks that will bring it down to <$200 usd. If you wait and look hard enough, you might find them that low again.

And how about the Denon D1001's and potentially modding them? Haven't heard them myself but sound like they might suit you.

May 31, 2009 at 6:18 PM Post #13 of 32
I really like my AKG's 271, got them for $120 new here in US but i see them more for about 140-150.

May 31, 2009 at 6:28 PM Post #14 of 32
How about the DT770 2005 edition? I can definitely recommend them. Their bass is controlled and punchy with sparkle in the treble
tongue.gif

And I'm pretty sure you can get them less than $200 if you buy used. Or even new if you shop around a bit.

Good luck

May 31, 2009 at 6:34 PM Post #15 of 32
Buy from the For Sale forum here. It's soooooo much cheaper than buying new...
smily_headphones1.gif

I love my DT770 '05s with the stuff I listen to (mostly Porcupine Tree, The Mars Volta, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Modest Mouse, Pearl Jam, Genesis, etc.), but the treble may be a bit too harsh for you.

The HFI-780 is a possibility for you if you go the used route. I haven't heard it, but I've heard good things about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back