Recommend me an upgrade from HD-555s!
Feb 13, 2008 at 5:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Dailow

New Head-Fier
Hi all, longtime lurker and first-time poster here!

I've recently hit another bout of upgraditis, but I'm unsure on what I should try. Right now, I connect my headphones to my PC via the Total Bithead's USB connection. I do like the 555s, but I just wish they had some more impact with the bass. I just find that something like a piano in the lower octaves sounds a bit tinny with no impact or life.

I do have a Grace M902 on the way, so hopefully that should rule out any amplification issues.

I only have one requirement, and it's that the headphones be comfortable over extended sessions (preferably circumaural cup). I haven't had much experience with different kinds of headphones, but if I used my 555s as a reference, I would consider them a 10/10.

From reading around, it seems like the logical choices would be DT880, HD-595/600/650. The 595s seem like a logical upgrade, but I'm not sure they would improve on what I want (looking for a warmer sound I suppose). I did get to briefly try on a set of 650s today (with a 5 minute audition) - I found that they clamped a little. Do they loosen up at all with use? I also briefly tried on a set of SR-325s. They seemed comfortable at first but I'm not sure how they would feel over a long session. I wasn't able to really audition them either, so I don't know how they sound.

So there you are... I'm open to any suggestions, and cost isn't really a concern considering what I spent on the M902, although I don't really want to spend more than $500 I suppose.

Thanks for any input!

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:15 AM Post #3 of 8
I preferred HD600s over HD650s.. but I'm an anti basshead
biggrin.gif
and I thought HD600/650 had entirely too much bass
DT880s might have too little bass for your preferences but it excels in detail and clarity

Feb 13, 2008 at 5:41 AM Post #4 of 8
Do you really want a lot of bass? Or is deep, clean bass good enough with that extra emphasis on the lower octaves?

The HD650 does have a lot of bass, but then it also requires equally good equiptment which is why the "as good as your equiptment is" is a catch phrase.

Since I compared the Audio Technica A900 with the HD650 (not a fair comparison) I can tell you that ATs bass is also pretty much on the spot, its got that low, meaty hit without sounding too engrossing, where you miss out on the rest of the sonics.

How about the A900, or even the W1000? Grados will do the job but they're not comfortable, a hour on an SR60 made my ears ache
wink.gif

Feb 13, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by c64 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Goldring dr150 superb hd600/650 killers for half the price.

Well according to your past post you don't even own the Sennheisers so you're comments means squat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back