Recommend me an solid state amp for HD 650?
Apr 14, 2009 at 9:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

MTsoul

New Head-Fier
It'll be PC sound card -> amp -> HD 650.

I have no clue how much and what differences another amp would make compared to my current Headfive. I'd prefer the same price range, so I can swap it with my HF.

PS I didn't see a sticky for recommendations, so yeah.

Thanks.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 17
IIRC, the HeadFive sells around $200. I'd recommend the M^3, CK2III, Gilmore Lite, and the Eddie Current EC/SS. All of them are quite good. Keep an eye out for used ones - you might be able to sell the HeadFive and get close to enough for one.

If you're willing to try your hand at a build, a Dynalo (DIY Gilmore Lite) can be broughtb in around the same amount as the HeadFive should bring.

Apr 15, 2009 at 12:38 AM Post #5 of 17
The CK2III should be within that budget.
I've just missed a G-lite+DPS for 300$
frown.gif

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I have no clue how much and what differences another amp would make compared to my current Headfive. I'd prefer the same price range, so I can swap it with my HF.

Thanks.

Graham Slee Solo, totally worth the extra money. I had a Gilmore Lite for my HD650s. GSS was a huge improvment.

Apr 15, 2009 at 7:43 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by MTsoul /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thanks.

You should consider a budget upgrade. WA6 or M^3 - both work the HD 650 well.

Apr 15, 2009 at 8:22 AM Post #12 of 17
I have used the KICAS Caliente with the HD 650s and they played well together. More recently I had the 650s recabled by Fidelity Audio for use with my balanced CKKIII amp and it sounds amazing.

Apr 15, 2009 at 1:01 PM Post #13 of 17
If your not a do it yourself individual many of the kit offerings pop up on the for sale forums from time to time. I own 2 differing types of the M^3's and they are good performers with the dedicated power supply and choices of op-amps to alter sonic flavors.

With a smaller budget you could consider one of the entry level tube offerings from the Chinese table (Little Dot, DarkVoice)

The OTL and SET (transformer coupled) work very well with the Higher impedance (aka Voltage) type phones. I know you would like solid-state but the Tube Amps give you very good performance with the Sennheiser on a budget right out of the box.

Apr 15, 2009 at 6:00 PM Post #15 of 17
Holy bejesus christ. That was a lot of stuff to look up.

It seems like at my price point (< $400 for sure), the Gilmore Lite seems like pretty much the only option if I don't want to go for a DYI. I'm really new at this and it seems like an entry level one like that would suit.

Man oh man my wallet is already whimpering. What do I do with this HF?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back