Recommend Me an IEM
Jul 24, 2009 at 9:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

CaptHowie

100+ Head-Fier
Hi All,
I'm looking to upgrade my old Sennheiser CX300's with a new pair. I'm not a basshead, and you're probably wondering then why I had the CX300's. They were cheap, nuff' said.
normal_smile .gif
I have a pair of Grado SR60's at home, and I love the sound signature. I was originally looking at the Sennheiser IE7's, but the cost is a little hard to justify. I was originally looking at the Super.Fi's as well, but any suggestions I'd be happy to research. I'm looking to spend from AUD$0-$200 (can be more if they are that good...) which is around USD$0-$163 (but feel free to go to US$200). Suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks,
-CaptHowie

Jul 24, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #3 of 11
If you're not a basshead: RE0 and PFE's comes to mind.
Others that are popular around here in your price range are:
ER4p
Jays q-jays
Atrio M5/M8
Super.Fi.5 Pro
Westone UM1

Just look into each and you'll find the differences between them so you know which ones will suit you most.

edit: 1 minute too late on recommending RE0 and PFE lol.

Jul 24, 2009 at 11:47 AM Post #4 of 11
I was looking into the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro's but it looks like they are discontinued! Does anyone know where I can still pick them up cheap as it looks like they have the right sound signature. Again, I'm happy for suggestions, and i've looked at the RE0 and PFE's as well and still considering them. The UM1 looks a bit fragile, as do the Ety's.

Jul 24, 2009 at 1:03 PM Post #5 of 11
I'd recommend taking a look at the JVC/Victor FX500 which are one of the best bang/bucks IEMs you can find. Take the time to read the user opinions in this thread to find out whether they fit your bill. You can get them for less than USD150.

I had the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro's (gave them to a friend recently) and believe the FX500 are more refined IEMs than the SF5.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:06 AM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'd recommend taking a look at the JVC/Victor FX500 which are one of the best bang/bucks IEMs you can find. Take the time to read the user opinions in this thread to find out whether they fit your bill. You can get them for less than USD150.

I had the UE Super.Fi 5 Pro's (gave them to a friend recently) and believe the FX500 are more refined IEMs than the SF5.

I read the entire thread and it looks like i'm hooked. It sounds like the bass tones down a bit after 50-100 of burn-in, and the treble and "fun sound" sounds great
ksc75smile.gif
. They are even comparing it to the IE8, of which I was originally looking at the IE7, but it was a tad expensive for my budget.

So you say that they are more refined compared to the Super.Fi 5 Pro's? Well by my calculations I can buy the FX500's from SEYO-SHOP for USD$129.37 plus USD$12 shipping to Australia which equates to USD$141.37 or AUD$172.94
wink.gif
, which, when compared to the price of the SF.5 Pro's (if I can find any...) are AUD$449 locally
eek.gif
! So do you wholeheartedly recommend them? If so, i'm buying.
tongue_smile.gif

Thanks,
-CaptHowie

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:10 PM Post #8 of 11
I do wholeheartedly recommend them and if that thread got you hooked I won't be the one who stops you. I gave my SF.5 Pro's to a good friend, but no way he would have gotten my FX500
smile_phones.gif

Jul 25, 2009 at 1:20 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by duanepo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep they sure did compare it to IE8 but im sure IE8 won on all criterias...

I love them both and consider them about equal. Each has its strenghts. But that's already been pretty much discussed in the FX500 thread - if you'd take the trouble to read it...

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by duanepo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yep they sure did compare it to IE8 but im sure IE8 won on all criterias... ^^ if IE7 is a little to expensive for you, did you consider IE6?

Yeah, I looked at the IE6's but a lot about them was different to it's older brothers... also, it's not that cheaper here in Aus, around $30-$40 cheaper.

Jul 25, 2009 at 11:10 PM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by james444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I do wholeheartedly recommend them and if that thread got you hooked I won't be the one who stops you. I gave my SF.5 Pro's to a good friend, but no way he would have gotten my FX500
smile_phones.gif

I think I am hooked.
biggrin.gif
I was originally looking at the S.Fi 5 Pro's, but since you've given yours away, the FX500's must be bloody good.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back