Recommend me an amp to make
Nov 30, 2008 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

scytheavatar

Headphoneus Supremus
I have the Ibasso D2 at the moment and I am planning to make a γ1 DAC. And I want to make an amp to go with the γ1. What I am looking for is something thats:

- Fast and snappy.
- Adds a bit of bass.
- Doesn't eat up a single bit of treble (preferably it adds a bit of treble).
- As clean and detailed as possible, without any veil.
- Screw smoothness or being forgiving.
- Sounds exciting.
- Good soundstage

In short I am looking for something that's as far from the tube sound as possible. I am using mainly the SA6 at the moment, but am planning on getting the AD2000, which is why it's important that I get a bit of bass bump but no treble roll-off.

I was thinking at the PPAV2, is there anything better? I would prefer getting something from the AMB site, along with the γ1, but the M3, CKKIII and β22 doesn't sound like what I am looking for. It's sad that most amps nowadays seem to lean towards the tube sound that I detest.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 14
I built a Pimeta with discrete Sjostrom buffers, which supposedly sounds almost exactly like the PPA. With a fast opamp (AD8066, 4562) it sounded pretty much like what you describe.

I haven't heard the M3 but I've never seen it described as "tube-like." From the many things I've read about it, it seems like it would work for you..I'll let someone who owns one comment but I always knew it as a very clean, powerful mosfet amp.

Nov 30, 2008 at 12:38 PM Post #3 of 14
Quote:

It's sad that most amps nowadays seem to lean towards the tube sound that I detest.

If you mean there's a lot of tube amps, that's true. But I don't know of any SS amps that are designed to sound tubey.

Quote:

I would prefer getting something from the AMB site, along with the γ1, but the M3, CKKIII and β22 doesn't sound like what I am looking for.

The CKKIII is supposed to be excellent. I haven't tried it, but am very tempted to. It's all discrete which is awesome.
The best amp you can build is probably the B22. But expect to spend $1000+. Not really a companion of the y1
tongue.gif

Quote:

I was thinking at the PPAV2, is there anything better?

The PPAV2 is excellent. I would say try that or the CKIII. But I'm assuming your budget is not that high (based on the y1 dac). You should say what you budget is.

Quote:

I am looking for is something thats:

- Fast and snappy.
- Adds a bit of bass.
- Doesn't eat up a single bit of treble (preferably it adds a bit of treble).
- As clean and detailed as possible, without any veil.
- Sounds exciting.
- Good soundstage

Good amps don't add bass or treble.

Quote:

My amps have never tried to screw anything. I think they're asexual since they have male and female parts.

The other traits apply to pretty much any good amp.

Good luck and have fun!

Nov 30, 2008 at 2:54 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Good amps don't add bass or treble.

It just occurred to me that both the PPA and the M3 can add bass. They have an optional bass boost circuit. Sounds like the ticket for you.

Nov 30, 2008 at 6:42 PM Post #6 of 14
You might have better success building a quality amp and eq'ing the sound to your taste.
The only amp mentioned that I have owned is the Ck²III, and it was a pleasure to listen to as fed by the 0404usb, with Denon 2000's of course.
As for the description of the sound your looking for, that's exactly what I am listening to now....on a tube/hybrid amp
atsmile.gif

Dec 1, 2008 at 3:16 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A CKKIII with 2SC2344/2SA1011 output transistors.
wink.gif

I haven't tried the CKKIII with them, but those Sanyo transistors are outstanding in a zero feedback buffer. They're very close to the Toshiba 2SC2238/2SA968's: gobs of detail, deep bass and a crystal clear high end. What makes them even better is that they're plentiful and cheap, unlike the Toshiba's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2008 at 1:01 AM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by scytheavatar /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was thinking at the PPAV2, is there anything better? I would prefer getting something from the AMB site, along with the γ1, but the M3, CKKIII and β22 doesn't sound like what I am looking for. It's sad that most amps nowadays seem to lean towards the tube sound that I detest.

just to reiterate what others have said, tubey is probably the last word you'd ever hear used to describe the above amps. And again, you need to define your budget before you can decide what you want to build. Keep in mind that the cost of the PCB+components is ALWAYS much less than the whole build will end up costing you.

Dec 2, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #13 of 14
You have described the SOHA II - the fastest amp that is not electrostatic, and you would never know that tubes are there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back