Recommend me an amp that can survive flights
Jun 3, 2006 at 5:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

DRSpeed85

500+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a Grado RS-1 compatible amp that can take some abuse flying around with me. I'm a university student and I seem to fly more than 10 times a year. This would require that I get a small portable amp, but when I am not travelling, this amp will always stay at home, so I am not looking for a pocketable amp, but a transportable one. Here are the amps I am considering:

Grado RA-1
Musical Fidelity X-can V3
Wooaudio 3
Headroom Microstack
Headamp Gilmore lite with DPS
Earmax Pro

Out of the group, I really want the Wooaudio 3, but I'm really not sure how I would transport it along with my clothes in check-in luggage. I am also worried that those delicate tubes won't handle air pressure changes during the flight. Is this true? If so, this completely rules out my chances of a tube amp.

Logic tells me, I should just go for the RA-1. But I'd really prefer something more.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 6
tubes are virtually imune to pressure changes.

i would say pick based on sound and size.

forever, military wirplanes used tubes for their radio gear and other stuff.

Jun 3, 2006 at 5:53 AM Post #3 of 6
Don't worry about the tubes. I've taken them on a number of flights and they're unaffected by pressure changes. However, you should worry about them getting knocked around, dropped, etc. When transporting or shipping tubes, I usually pull them and put them in tube boxes. If not available, I roll them up in newspaper and bubble wrap.

You should add Dr. Meier's Corda models to your list. They're quite good and in the same pricerange. Also, interest seems to have died down a bit, but take a look at the HeadFive. For $250 shipped, it's a bargain. I have one on order.

Jun 3, 2006 at 3:11 PM Post #4 of 6
I would suggest the HeadAmp AE-1. It is small, warm so it matches with Grado's beautifully, and has RCA inputs as well as 1/8". The batteries in the current version last 5 to 6 days of continues operation so if you go on a two week trip and you listen 8 hours each day you do not need to take the wall wart to recharge the batteries.
biggrin.gif

I forgot to mention it is built like a tank.

Jun 3, 2006 at 4:09 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by DRSpeed85
Out of the group, I really want the Wooaudio 3, but I'm really not sure how I would transport it along with my clothes in check-in luggage. I am also worried that those delicate tubes won't handle air pressure changes during the flight. Is this true? If so, this completely rules out my chances of a tube amp.

It's not a problem! wooaudio 3 has a molded paper Fiber packaging. i flied to China last month,and take the wa3 with me, it is safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back