Recommend me an Amp for my Grado RS1i
Feb 5, 2020 at 3:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

AllsWell

100+ Head-Fier
Looking for an amp for my Grado RS1i headphones, any recommendations would be welcomed.
(Not interested in the Grado RA1 amp btw)

Budget is up to 400$

Thank you

Feb 5, 2020 at 5:33 PM Post #2 of 14
$400

Drop AAA THX 789
https://drop.com/buy/drop-thx-aaa-789-linear-amplifier

Tons of power
Plenty of connectivity ( IEM's @ 3.5mm and dead quiet, 1/4 inch, and balanced out
3 gain settings
Easy to setup ( took me 5 minutes )
Has balanced and RCA inputs so you can feed it with a balanced DAC if that's your style.

It probably won't have to change this thing out ever unless it fails. It is that good!

Feb 5, 2020 at 7:52 PM Post #3 of 14
Feb 6, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 14
Feb 6, 2020 at 2:12 PM Post #5 of 14
Wait, you ask for a new amp, then you ask how it would be different that you current amp? Why are you even trying to upgrade if you can't answer that question? We have our own experiences and sound preferences so only you can tell if you like the "upgrade." I suggested an amp that I trust, it measures well and sounds very clean, and is well-received in the community. I cannot tell you how you will like it as it will come down to your personal preference.

So do you currently have an amp or not?

My suggestion is for you to spend $50 on some A/B comparison gear so you can compare amp A to amp B and make that decision. You might just be surprised how similar if not identical good amps sound to each other. Might keep you from spending money on gear you don't need that could go towards a new headphone or more music.

Feb 6, 2020 at 2:29 PM Post #6 of 14
Wait, you ask for a new amp, then you ask how it would be different that you current amp? Why are you even trying to upgrade if you can't answer that question? We have our own experiences and sound preferences so only you can tell if you like the "upgrade." I suggested an amp that I trust, it measures well and sounds very clean, and is well-received in the community. I cannot tell you how you will like it as it will come down to your personal preference.

So do you currently have an amp or not?

My suggestion is for you to spend $50 on some A/B comparison gear so you can compare amp A to amp B and make that decision. You might just be surprised how similar if not identical good amps sound to each other. Might keep you from spending money on gear you don't need that could go towards a new headphone or more music.

I'm simply asking for opinions from people that potentially have experience with the Grado sound signature (specifically the RS1i model headphones) because I've only ever heard them with one amp (the Matrix that i owned) and it didn't quite "impress" me as much as a 1970's stereo receiver once did. Because of this, I am now thinking, "huh, I wonder what else is out there, what have people heard/have experience with" .

If possible, maybe someone had a Matrix M-Stage HPA1 and switched over to the THX 789 you recommended AND maybe even was a Grado fan... maybe. It doesn't hurt to ask. I'd be very interested in their opinion.

The hifi world (depending on where you live) can be difficult to access/demo (or do comparisons as you mentioned). I can't exactly walk into a "hifi" store here with my headphones and be like "hey, i want to demo all the amps you got, thanks.".

I do not currently own an amp.

Feb 6, 2020 at 3:54 PM Post #7 of 14
I've owned every Grado up to the RS-1i and they are all very bright sounding and uncomfortable. If you look at the measurements for these headphones you will realize that they all virtually sound the same and trying to justify more than the $80 for the SR-60 is almost mute. The pad differences explain the differences more than anything. No amp is going to make the drivers sound magically different. An amp's job is to get out of the way of the music and just provide better control of the headphone driver. If you don't enjoy the Grado RA1 that is another story and something to look into.

Feb 6, 2020 at 11:07 PM Post #8 of 14
Looking for an amp for my Grado RS1i headphones, any recommendations would be welcomed.
(Not interested in the Grado RA1 amp btw)

Budget is up to 400$

Thank you

Meier Rock FF

Hey thank you for the recommendation.

I used to have a Matrix M Stage Amp :
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/matrix-m-stage.12045/

Rock has less power but Meiers and Violectrics are known for very low noise floor. If you have headphones other than the RS1, that downgrade in power might be audible. Otherwise, for a high sensitivity headphone, very low noise is a plus.

In case you want to still have comparable power output save up and get a Jazz FF instead.

Feb 7, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 14
Meier Rock FF

Rock has less power but Meiers and Violectrics are known for very low noise floor. If you have headphones other than the RS1, that downgrade in power might be audible. Otherwise, for a high sensitivity headphone, very low noise is a plus.

In case you want to still have comparable power output save up and get a Jazz FF instead.

Thank you, I really appreciate the reply and your opinion. I'll check them out.

Ps., I've been researching all the while, and came across this;
https://geshelli.com/archel2-5-pro

How would you compare that as a pairing for the Grado RS1i ?

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 12:58 AM Post #10 of 14
Thank you, I really appreciate the reply and your opinion. I'll check them out.

Ps., I've been researching all the while, and came across this;
https://geshelli.com/archel2-5-pro

How would you compare that as a pairing for the Grado RS1i ?

Haven't tried that nor any of their other products so I have no clue about anything about them. No glaring warning signs either on the specs but then again they don't mention much, like no output impedance rating, only the impedance range they recommend it be used with.

Feb 7, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #11 of 14
I own and use the Geshilli Labs Archel 2.5 and it sounds very transparent and has plenty of power for all of my headphones. This includes IEM's and current hungry planar like the 400i.

You don't really need much power for the RS1i, but having a higher output impedance can make them sound little baser due to bass bloom resonance caused by a lack of driver damping. If you are looking for a pure signal the Geshelli is a great amp.

What pads are you rocking on the RS1i? I highly recommend getting a pair of Cushion S pads. These pads filter the treble a little and provide slightly better bass extension. The best that can be had from a standard Grado ear cushion. The bowl pads are notoriously painful to wear for long periods and give you a bare driver experience equating to some extreme treble peaks.

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2020 at 1:20 PM Post #12 of 14
I own and use the Geshilli Labs Archel 2.5 and it sounds very transparent and has plenty of power for all of my headphones. This includes IEM's and current hungry planar like the 400i.

You don't really need much power for the RS1i, but having a higher output impedance can make them sound little baser due to bass bloom resonance caused by a lack of driver damping. If you are looking for a pure signal the Geshelli is a great amp.

What pads are you rocking on the RS1i? I highly recommend getting a pair of Cushion S pads. These pads filter the treble a little and provide slightly better bass extension. The best that can be had from a standard Grado ear cushion. The bowl pads are notoriously painful to wear for long periods and give you a bare driver experience equating to some extreme treble peaks.

I'm rocking the stock pads. I tried the bowl pads and hated them, they seem to improved some soundstage but reduced the bass as well.

I think im in a bit of an audio crisis... contemplating now whether the rs1i's are for me. (Been eyeing rs2's for some time now) ... not to mention some sony's (mdr-1am2), hifiman sundara and even the sennheiser hd6xx on Drop....

Feb 18, 2020 at 11:26 PM Post #13 of 14
Please oh please try something other than a Grado. I’ve been thru them all up to the RS2i. Same bright sound and same horrible discomfort. Nothing wrong with moving on. So Grados aren’t for you...find something you love.

I suggest something like the Philips Fidelio x2 or X2HR. I’ll be shocked if you don’t like those!

Feb 19, 2020 at 2:22 AM Post #14 of 14
Hi,

Maybe Xduoo TA-20 I would say.
You don't need analitical amp. And this Xduoo is a good "in betweener".
I think THX amp will focus too much on the brightness of the Grado, whereas a tube will warm up.
If you plan to buy other headphones, then it will be more difficult.
I have the (portable) Mojo and it's a good one also for Grado. It would also be enough, even for desktop use I assume.
Just check for the reviews of the TA-20 :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back