Recommend me an amp for mostly my DT770 Pro/80s
Jun 15, 2007 at 6:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Denver Max

100+ Head-Fier
Like the title says.

I am looking for a portable amp for my Beyer DT770 Pro 80Ohm headphones. Just mostly looking for better sound quality out of them. I am not generally unhappy with how they sound, but I have never owned an amp and thought this may be appropriate.

I will also probably be using the same amp to occasionally power Ety ER-6is and Grado SR-60s (and perhaps a pair of Alessandros when I upgrade).

I did some research of my own and have found the following to be the most interesting:

- Xenos 1HA-EPC : Highly regarded in the reviews I read, but also probably the most I want to be spending at $240

- iBasso : I hate things named with the "i" but I haven't heard anything bad about the amp, and $100 seems like the perfect price point.

- Minibox E from Head-Direct: I don't know much about SQ out of this amp but it looks like a great size and great price, anyone know how one measures up in SQ compared to the others above?

Any help would be much appreciated. To me this decision is going to come down to best sound for the money. I can live with a huge amp if it means it's cheaper and sounds better.

This is next on my audio shopping list I suppose. Next might be a desktop DAC and amp, or a receiver for some old Bose 201 speakers, or upgrading my open headphones, who knows. I need some more money before I research these things.

Jun 15, 2007 at 10:56 AM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Like the title says.

I am looking for a portable amp for my Beyer DT770 Pro 80Ohm headphones. Just mostly looking for better sound quality out of them. I am not generally unhappy with how they sound, but I have never owned an amp and thought this may be appropriate.

I will also probably be using the same amp to occasionally power Ety ER-6is and Grado SR-60s (and perhaps a pair of Alessandros when I upgrade).

I did some research of my own and have found the following to be the most interesting:

- Xenos 1HA-EPC : Highly regarded in the reviews I read, but also probably the most I want to be spending at $240

- iBasso : I hate things named with the "i" but I haven't heard anything bad about the amp, and $100 seems like the perfect price point.

- Minibox E from Head-Direct: I don't know much about SQ out of this amp but it looks like a great size and great price, anyone know how one measures up in SQ compared to the others above?

Any help would be much appreciated. To me this decision is going to come down to best sound for the money. I can live with a huge amp if it means it's cheaper and sounds better.

This is next on my audio shopping list I suppose. Next might be a desktop DAC and amp, or a receiver for some old Bose 201 speakers, or upgrading my open headphones, who knows. I need some more money before I research these things.

I have the SR-60's, and will be getting the DT 770pro 80ohms tomorrow. I have the portaphile V2^2.

I'll give you some idea of how good of a combo is. I was in the same situation as you a week ago, and was originally looking for a much cheaper amp. But eventually decided it would be better to buy a more pricey/better amp in the first place. So I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade again so soon.

Jun 15, 2007 at 1:56 PM Post #4 of 10
I would recommend staying away from bass-heavy amps. The Hornet and DT-770 combination is a bit too overbearing for most music. The quality and detail is fantastic, but it's not quite the frequency response I'm looking for.

Jun 15, 2007 at 8:06 PM Post #5 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denver Max /img/forum/go_quote.gif

There is for sale ($210) in the sales corner. I have one and I am very happy with it (but I didn't try it with the DT770). Excellent with my SR225 and my HD600.

Jun 15, 2007 at 9:10 PM Post #6 of 10
The best amp for Darths remains the Meier HA2 MkII SE (must be found used, now)............the most-current Portaphile 2^2 maxxed works just fine.

Jun 15, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #7 of 10
The mSeed Labs Spirit sounds GREAT with the DT770's, $149.

Meier Audio's new Move will also very likely be great with them, since Meier amps sound awesome with Beyer headphones, but they aren't shipping quite yet...

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:00 AM Post #8 of 10
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I am looking into the ones that you have suggested to me and will have to make a decision purely on a whim. Since I'm a first time buyer I won't know the difference anyways..

One more question though: I saw in your huge review Skylab that the Headphonia is both a USB DAC and also a pretty good sounding amp! However, I also saw all the bad reviews about the design issues. Are there any other good-sounding amps that also include a USB DAC?

Jun 16, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #9 of 10
Well, the new Meier MOVE does. Review forthcoming
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back