Recommend Me a Turntable
Aug 17, 2009 at 4:59 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If I was rich, I'd probably still go for bang-for-the-buck components, not stuff like that.

You may say that now and it may even be true, but it's hypothetical. You never know for sure how you would react in a situation until you are actually in it. Human nature can be hard to predict.
There are people in the world to whom that is bang for the buck. $300,000. to them is like $300. to you.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:40 AM Post #32 of 35
This may be a long shot, but you might be able to gather Rega pieces and put together a turntable. There are countless mods and tweaks for the Planar 3/P3. People buy them and sell off the old parts. If you look around, you can find them. I got a plinth for $20 awhile back and have picked up almost everything else here and there. After Inget a few more pieces, I'll put it together for a second system.

Assembling your own might sound scary, but the Rega turntables are pure simplicity. You wouldn't need any special tools or knowledge.

If you can get an inexpensive used deck to use now, you could start gathering pieces towards a Rega deck. You wouldn't have to buy used entirely, either. You could pick up the aftermarket stuff, too, and add that to your build.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:52 AM Post #33 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This may be a long shot, but you might be able to gather Rega pieces and put together a turntable. There are countless mods and tweaks for the Planar 3/P3. People buy them and sell off the old parts. If you look around, you can find them. I got a plinth for $20 awhile back and have picked up almost everything else here and there. After Inget a few more pieces, I'll put it together for a second system.

Assembling your own might sound scary, but the Rega turntables are pure simplicity. You wouldn't need any special tools or knowledge.

If you can get an inexpensive used deck to use now, you could start gathering pieces towards a Rega deck. You wouldn't have to buy used entirely, either. You could pick up the aftermarket stuff, too, and add that to your build.

That's actually a good idea but again there is availablity issues in Australia. I've never seen Rega or Pro-Ject turntables or parts here in Australia (in person), only on specialized hi-fi websites.

Aug 17, 2009 at 10:36 AM Post #34 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptHowie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only found it on Amazon, so i'm not sure if you can get it locally, and it has mixed, but relatively high reviews (not audiophiles by the look of it...). It's the Panasonic Technics SLBD20D Semi Automatic Turntable. For the moment, I'm still going to the market to try and hunt down a good secondhand one.

Hi this isn't a usb turntable, it's actually Technics entry level belt drive and would be a fine choice for you. These are quite hard to come by in many parts of the world but if you can get it then it's a good choice.
You'll probably find something better value 2nd hand which will be just as good but if you want something box fresh this is about as good as turntables get for 150USD these days.

Aug 17, 2009 at 11:29 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi this isn't a usb turntable, it's actually Technics entry level belt drive and would be a fine choice for you. These are quite hard to come by in many parts of the world but if you can get it then it's a good choice.
You'll probably find something better value 2nd hand which will be just as good but if you want something box fresh this is about as good as turntables get for 150USD these days.

So it's actually a pretty good turntable? I'll have to see if I can get it in Australia since Amazon don't ship it to international locations
frown.gif
but it's good as a backup option in case I don't get this Pioneer system that is lying around somewhere...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back