Recommend me a tripod
Mar 15, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #16 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What happened to the Manfrottos? Did they break?

No, but they weren't stable enough, so I ended up selling them off on eBay. I really dislike their lever locks (kept pinching myself), but newer Manfrottos apparently have an improved twist lock.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #18 of 32
I'd say save the money. I bought a cheap $10 walmart tripod the reaches close to 5' and its super light. If it were for a video camera I would say spend away but for still... as long as it holds your camera still why spend the money? The $100 could be put towards a nice filter. Just my 2 cents.

Mar 15, 2007 at 3:57 PM Post #19 of 32
A good tripod can last a long time. My sunpak cost me 40 bucks with 3 heads (2 ball and 1 pan/tilt) all of the heads are now dead...they are messed up one way or another. I could have just gotten a better head but the legs are filmsy.

I prefer pan/tilt head since I could choose to adjust only one axis at a time, but I also kinda like the idea of this grip action ball head:

1manfrotto-322rc2.jpg

EDIT: and yes. it's for a still camera.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:08 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A good tripod can last a long time. My sunpak cost me 40 bucks with 3 heads (2 ball and 1 pan/tilt) all of the heads are now dead...they are messed up one way or another. I could have just gotten a better head but the legs are filmsy.

I prefer pan/tilt head since I could choose to adjust only one axis at a time, but I also kinda like the idea of this grip action ball head:

1manfrotto-322rc2.jpg

EDIT: and yes. it's for a still camera.

I use that head on my 3221WN. Highly recommended.

I'm surprised you want a pan/tilt head for a still camera. I had to use a pan/tilt head with my first tripod, and it was really inconvenient to not be able to adjust in 3d.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:21 PM Post #21 of 32
The thing I sorta don't like about ball head is that I've got to hold the camera with one hand and lock the ball with another and sometimes I have problems getting a proper level (impossible if I ever wanna take a panorama shot). I prefer something that has a solid and large grip, which is why I was looking at some pan/tilt with large/long handle (kinda hard to pack them up though).

I'm interested in the grip action ball head coz there's a big freaking grip/handle there
biggrin.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:25 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by jbd /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use that head on my 3221WN. Highly recommended.

I'm surprised you want a pan/tilt head for a still camera. I had to use a pan/tilt head with my first tripod, and it was really inconvenient to not be able to adjust in 3d.

I have this exact setup too and really like it. I went with the 3221WN because it is tall.

Quote:

A pan and tilt does work well if you want to pan a flying bird or moving car. I prefer the 322RC2 for most stuff, though.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:36 PM Post #24 of 32
Check these out:
http://www.amvona.com/v7/shop/?page=...440e867abba4d0

If you find one you like go straight to ebay and search the item number. Their prices on ebay are very good if your patient.

I have this one (I linked some completed auctions to show what they are going for):
http://search-completed.ebay.com/AT-...advsearchQ3aUS

I picked picked it up for $37.00 and I'm very happy with the quality. I had a 3021/3047; I'm just as happy with the Amvona combo. With the cash I saved, I picked up a second head as shown on this package:
http://search-completed.ebay.com/AT-...advsearchQ3aUS
Adding the grip head gives me lots of flexibility at a low price, especially being just a hobbyist.

Here's a few threads discussing the company and their products:
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ghlight=amvona
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...light=dynatran

Edit: I wouldn't trust their ball grip head with a lot of weight, but it's very clean and stable with a Canon XTi, vertical grip, flash, and 50mm.

Mar 15, 2007 at 4:48 PM Post #25 of 32
Mar 15, 2007 at 5:00 PM Post #26 of 32
As everyone else said can we have more info what equipment you will be using it for? I have the Bogen 3021 which is great. However the Bogen 3001 is a nice little tripod too. I would suggest you go to a store and check them out cause their weight might be an issue if you want to carry these everywhere.

Mar 16, 2007 at 1:57 AM Post #29 of 32
I think I'll be going with the 3021 and 322rc2 head. I was looking at the 3001 since it is lighter but that's really short. Before I pull the trigger, is there anything that's 1kg + and extends to at least 6ft and is within my budget? I'd like to get the 3001 but it's only 5 ft fully extended
frown.gif

Mar 26, 2007 at 7:09 PM Post #30 of 32
Hey guys, I was set to buy the 3021 but I went to a local shop today and saw a 3001 (manfrotto 190X) and it seems to be "just right" for me. I'm 5'7", with the tripod set to max height and the 322rc2 mounted, it is actually a tad taller than me. Now I'm wondering if I should go with the 3001 since it is relatively lighter than the 3021...or should I go with the 3021 for the extra height? and weight
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back