Recommend Me A Simple Digital Camera
Jan 7, 2005 at 11:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

kentamcolin

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm not looking to spend much, because for nice photos and fine art photography I've got quite a lot of film gear I plan to stick with, but I know nothing about the digital cameras that are out there. What I want is a simple point and shoot type for taking photos to email friends and maybe make small 4x6 prints, etc. I Want to be able to make manual exposure adjustments though. Used or new O.K.

Jan 8, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #2 of 20
I would have to recommend the Canon A95 or A85. The A85 you could get for around 250 - 300USD. I've personally tried it but dont own it, but I can tell you it takes great point and shoot photos. If your budget can stretch a little higher, then you could possibly buy something like a Panasonic FZ3 which I hear takes amazing point and shoot photos, while also having a wide variety of manual functions. Its slightly bigger than the A85 is still quite portable. I myself ordered a FZ20 which is significantly bigger, about the size of a regular SLR camera. The FZ3 is there portable version. For just over 300 bucks, its a great buy.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 20
Well I hoped at first to get away with spending $150 or so, but that doesn't buy much. We looked at Best Buy and saw an Olympus Stylus 300 at $200 but would have to add a rechargable battery & charger for another $60. So next up was the Stylus 410, which for $270 came with a rechargable battery, and it's 4MP vs. 3.2MP. I like the Olympus as it offers more protection for the lens when not in use and is weather resistant. Problem was after spending an hour at the store they were out of stock on these so we'll have to keep looking.

I'm still open to other suggestions and would love to hear from someone who has the an Olympus.

Thanks.

Jan 8, 2005 at 3:40 AM Post #4 of 20
The Canon A75 seems to be a tad out of your budget. I got one for Christmas and it's awesome, I've had a lot of fun playing with it so far (the camera that is...). Check it out, I got it at Best Buy for $190.

Jan 8, 2005 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 20
I guess I'm saying that I've stretched the budget some to get something more useful. Under $300 OTD is the goal, with all cables, rechargable battery etc, but perhaps excluding an added memory card for now.

Jan 8, 2005 at 2:00 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
I guess I'm saying that I've stretched the budget some to get something more useful. Under $300 OTD is the goal, with all cables, rechargable battery etc, but perhaps excluding an added memory card for now.

I second the Canon A-- cameras.

I think $300 will get you the A95. Or for $250, you can get the A75 plus the extra compact flash card (and if you tend to take a lot, you'll need it). The A95 I believe is a 4MP and the A75 is a 3.2MP. If you're going to print only up to 5x7, 3.2MP is enough and 4MP doesn't make much of a difference.

I'm wondering about the Olympus that you mentioned which doesn't come with a charger and battery. I believe digital cameras are supposed to come with those things. My old Canon S40 came with everything needed. I bought an extra card though.

I don't own either the A75 and A95, but I'm into photography, and I was also looking into either camera as a gift to someone in my family. I own a Nikon digital SLR, but for point-and-shoots, I found those little Canon's more to my liking (especially since those Nikon point-and-shoots had those tiny SD cards instead of compact flash.

Good luck!

Jan 8, 2005 at 5:47 PM Post #7 of 20
Bought the Olympus Stylus 410. It does come with battery and charger. The next model down uses AA, which give only 15min./pr. I compared to the Canon (All my film gear is Canon EOS) but the Olympus seemed more durable, with a sliding cover that completely covered the lens when off, and it's weather resistant. Cost was $270. Then I got a $50 memory chip added and bought Best Buy's 4yr. warranty for $60. I know these warranties can be a rip, but for $15/year to cover everything and we have had great experience with their return policies in the past. $400 OTD so I more than doubled the original budget (sound familiar?), but I think it was a good deal on a useful camera so we're happy. Thanks for the suggestions though, happy shooting!

Jan 9, 2005 at 1:20 AM Post #8 of 20
I'm also very impressed with the Canon point and shoot digitals. You'd be hard pressed to be disappointed by the Canon that fits your budget best. Really easy to use and very high quality pix for the money. I've seen pictures taken with three different ones (all less than 6 mos old) and all were impressive. One is owned by the company I work for and we use it all the time (A85 I think).
Really nice for the $.
I own a Nikon D100 and a Coolpix 990 but if I were to buy one today; Canon or Panasonic maybe Fuji.

Jan 9, 2005 at 1:32 AM Post #9 of 20
why mess around? u know that after u buy it and especially because you own other good camera gear you are not going to be satisfied...get yourself a canon s500...i am a camera idiot but i have been able to take amazing photos and video with this machine..the design and ergonomics are first rate as well...the price is continuing to fall..i got it for 450 last summer and today at best buy it was 400-10%=360..not bad for 5mp and the canon digic chip.
later
would be leery of ordering a camera online..too many grey market cameras out there...imho

Jan 9, 2005 at 8:53 AM Post #10 of 20
he's already made his purchase, so lets just wish him good luck and hope he enjoys it. Let us know what you think of it.

Jan 9, 2005 at 10:19 AM Post #11 of 20
I'd have recommended the Kodak CX7430 - that's an easy to use 4 Mpix / 3x optical zoom model for ~ 150 Euro I recently purchased for carrying with me in my backback all the time. In case the formfactor should be even smaller, I'd recommend to check the Nikon CoolPix 3100 (predecessor, CF) and 3200 (successor, SD) - both are 3 Mpix / 3x optical zoom models.

Greetings from Hannover!

Manfred / lini

Jan 9, 2005 at 1:40 PM Post #12 of 20
Yes, I have purchased a camera! Thanks. So far we like it a lot. My son is having a ball snapping pics everywhere without me saying "don't be wasting film now". It's easy to use and download pics and shoots video too.

Jan 9, 2005 at 2:39 PM Post #13 of 20
Good for you. Have fun. Now start looking at printers!
I like my EPSON 2200 but were I to buy today I really like the Canon inkjets. Bought one for my Mom and it's dead easy to use. Exceptional color and fast too.
CPW

Jan 9, 2005 at 3:23 PM Post #14 of 20
If your budget is around 150.00, I think that you will get more for your money staying away of the well known brands as Canon, Kodak, Sony, Olympus, etc....you better get one Fuji, Samsung, etc...and will get more for your money....

BTW has anybody tried the Fuji cameras, IMO they are pretty good, at least the specs, OTOH they uses regular AA or AAA batteries instead of expensive and not so ready available Litium batteries, and offer what others offer for a lot less money....I'm looking myself for one good camera for around 150.00, and till now.....I'm still looking...LOL....
biggrin.gif

Jan 11, 2005 at 4:50 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by kentamcolin
Bought the Olympus Stylus 410. It does come with battery and charger. The next model down uses AA, which give only 15min./pr. I compared to the Canon (All my film gear is Canon EOS) but the Olympus seemed more durable, with a sliding cover that completely covered the lens when off, and it's weather resistant. Cost was $270. Then I got a $50 memory chip added and bought Best Buy's 4yr. warranty for $60. I know these warranties can be a rip, but for $15/year to cover everything and we have had great experience with their return policies in the past. $400 OTD so I more than doubled the original budget (sound familiar?), but I think it was a good deal on a useful camera so we're happy. Thanks for the suggestions though, happy shooting!

Olympus is a good brand also. Some of my friends own one. I've heard good things about those Olympus point and shoots. Actually, on a magazine once, a photojournalist was featured and instead of a DSLR, he used a couple of those things for magazine work (not sure what model he uses but that's quite remarkable).

Anyway, cameras are not like audio equipment. It's not the camera in the end but the photographer.
wink.gif
So enjoy your purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back