Recommend me a laptop for college
Jun 26, 2006 at 12:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Predator88

100+ Head-Fier
Well I'm looking to pick up a laptop before the start of the semester. Anyone have any good recommendations. Ideally $2000 would be a good number to spend but i can up it to around $2500 if the situation calls for it. I'm not real worried about gaming but would like to have something with a decent video card for the occasional use. My main uses for it will be homework, web browsing, dvd burning, video encoding (yea i'm gonna need a reasonably fast processor, probably dual core), music listening, photo editing, and other various things. ONe big thing for me is that I'd like the computer to feel solid. I've looked at some dells and other mainstream brands and they usually feel kind of cheap. Maybe a thinkpad? Mac I don't really have any use for unless they can run windows flawlessly (well as flawlessly as is possible for windows that is). Nothing against OSX, windows is just very familiar for me and I have a ton of software already for it that I'd like to continue using.

Jun 26, 2006 at 12:32 AM Post #2 of 53
If you're going Windows and want a laptop that doesn't feel cheap, get a ThinkPad. They're wonderful machines with great keyboards. Keep in mind though that when people rave about ThinkPads, they're usually talking about the T-series or X-series. The Z-series and especially the budget R-series are not built to the same level, but then again, they're more inexpensive too.

You spend more than you would with Dell -- a lot more in some cases -- compare for instance a mid-range T60 configuration to a similar Dell, but the extra money you spend is worth it.

Right now I think the X60 is the best all-around laptop IBM makes, with a fair price, all-day battery life, and great form factor. On the other hand, if you want a desktop replacement, you can also configure the T60 series to have a dual-transistor per pixel display which dramatically improves the picture quality and off-axis viewability over a conventional LCD, but the tradeoff there is a very significant price increase.

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:12 AM Post #4 of 53
There's a couple models to look at. I would recommend going to Best Buy or something to get an idea of what size screen you want. 12", 13", 14", etc... I tend to like 15.4" myself.

After that there's quite a few models to look at, Lenovo, Asus, Dell, Sony, Apple. Personally I like Dell's for best bang for the buck. They feel a little flimsy, but mine has lasted for about 3 years without any issues. The business line (i.e. Latitude line) is better built. Sony's have really nice screens though.

I would check out

http://www.notebookforums.com

and

http://www.notebookreviews.com

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:30 AM Post #5 of 53
Just so you know, the new Mac laptops all support dual booting OSX and windows (via a free apple program called bootcamp). Personally I wouldn't think twice about it, especially seeing as the new Macbooks are *cheap* w/ educational pricing (plus come w/ a free ipod nano with the current promotion) and offer everything you seem to want. They even have bit perfect optical audio in and out! In fact I'm seriously considering selling my 1 year old powerbook for a new macbook.

I'm obviously biased but I wouldn't be so hasty about not trying OSX - I found it incredibly easy to switch and it really is a nicer user experience, especially if you don't have time for messing around fixing stupid computer problems or worrying about viruses etc.

Jun 26, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #6 of 53
Yea bootcamp has been something I'm starting to look at. Does anyone have any experience with it or no if there's any real problems? Basically does it run windows as well as a normal pc would? I've used OSX in the graphics lab at my school so I basically know how it functions and yes it can be very nice. The only thing is that it almost seems pointless to buy a mac and barely use OSX. However I did stop in the apple store and the macbook pro does look extremely nice, has the hardware setup I've been looking into, and I love the screen (no glossy for me). Alright......someone tell me why I shouldn't go for the macbook pro. Is it possible that I can also boot up linux as a third os on it? Not a big deal as I am keeping my desktop for such things, but it would be kind of cool if possible.

Jun 26, 2006 at 5:42 AM Post #7 of 53
Yes, you can even triple boot the new Intel MacBooks. I've seen a few discussions of it, but haven't tried it on my Intel Mini. I won't run Windows, and have a couple of AMD64 machines running Linux.

To get to the point, however, I'd look hard at Apple's offerings. About 18 months ago, I bought a used 1GHz Titanium PowerBook. I don't do any heavy lifting with it (that's what AMD64 boxes are for) but it has, and continues to serve me extremely well. The form factor is the same as the new ones (more or less) and I just love the thing. I've been tempted by the MacBooks, but will stick with this one until Apple drops support for the G4.

Looking at eBay, you can get the same thing I have for $800. Though I think the MacBook with educational pricing and a free Nano is an amzing deal. Take a look. Except for games, a Mac will do everything you could want. And let's face it, laptops (with a few expensive exceptions) are lousy with games anyhow.

If you have to go with Windows anyhow, I'd recommend a ThinkPad. I've used a few and think they're excellent, but I like my PowerBook better.

Oh, and Power/MacBooks hold their value. Moreso than anything else on the market.

Jun 26, 2006 at 9:18 AM Post #8 of 53
Two words (kind of) : MacBook Pro.

Jun 26, 2006 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 53
Once you get past the software buying issue (and bear in mind that Macs come with a bunch of bundled software, and also you get heavy educational discounts on Office, etc) there hasn't been any need for me to install boot camp. The Macbook is a good laptop, pretty solid although not to the Thinkpad T or X levels as said before. I have both the Macbook and the MacBook Pro (17"). However the polycarbonate Macbook is more prone to looking' used' than the TP's after a while. Build quality for Apples is about the same as Sony, I don't know if that's good or bad. There are heat issues (although of course if you Applecare it then you have peace of mind) and I think it would have perhaps been better to sacrifice some of the silence for better airflow. It's ironic that the silence which the Apples have results in people noticing noises they they wouldn't hear were it not for the whirr of fans on other laptops... therefore the 'moo', 'whine' etc that's been reported a lot. The 15" MBP is surprisingly portable, although it is a bit more 'precious' than the Macbook... although this might mean that you're more careful with it. As for aftercare, Applecare is the benchmark without question.

The problem with the Lenovos for me is that you really pay in bulk and a similar (and tankier) configuration is even more expensive than Apple. I used to have an X40 and although I appreciated it's solidity it annoyed me in the end because it was neither a super-usable full laptop (with the thing you plug in at the bottom) and somewhat compromised as a subnotebook.

The Sony's suited me more as Windows machines, and in terms of general design philosophy I like Sony/Apple's 'everything in one box, yet svelte' approach better. Problem with Sony is that the words 'Sony' and 'Support' are words which don't sit well with each other. I will have to say though that all my Sony's (and I've had various models almost continuously since the VAIO range came out) have been very reliable. It's just that if they do go wrong...
rolleyes.gif

I would say if you want to stick to Windows, despite the support thing I would recommend a Sony laptop with an extended warranty (perhaps even third-party warranty with loan machine guarantees, etc). The SZ series are slim, all-in-one laptops with 13.3" displays, dual-core processors and decent specs all around... basically like a Macbook Pro in the form factor of a Macbook.

But in terms of personal productivity, I'd recommend a Mac.

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:16 PM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Oistrakh
well they are overpriced like all apple products... Buy a dell instead

If you're the KSC-75 kind of guy, sure. It's not really a family of PC's that is particularly inspiring to use. e.g. I have a 9400 loaded to similar specs to the 17" Macbook Pro (and it didn't cost that much less) and don't use it anywhere near as often as the Apple.

Having said that all my servers are Dell. Since I was going to have multiple standbys anyway, I wanted something with decent performance at lowest cost for something built reasonably well, and quick replacement. I'm not 'value-led' but 'goal-led' and I would have to say for something to have in front of me as opposed to humming away in a datacenter, Dell pretty much comes up last in my book. I realise they offer excellent bang for the buck but personally, I prefer increased usability and design touches that you end up going 'heh, that's cool' every day that you use it, especially for a laptop. That's what Apple (especially combined with OSX) and to a lesser extent Sony (and even Lenovo in some ways) offer.

Jun 26, 2006 at 1:56 PM Post #13 of 53
I switched to mac from windows a few years ago and love them. Typing this on a macbook (black) now. It's getting harder and harder for windows users to ignore these machines - for the specs the prices really aren't that different given the quality, size, battery life, etc. And, they run several operating systems easily - mac os x, windows, linux, solaris x86, etc. You can even run them in virtualization with Parallels Workstation (www.parallels.com). I've been using BootCamp and its works flawlessly so far... If you need a larger than 13" display, or you are planning to do intense video/3d/gaming, then you should consider the macbook pro - otherwise check out the mac book, as from a CPU perspective, it's pretty much able to keep pace with the macbook pros, but with even longer battery life...

[edit]: forgot to add one thing - Get as much RAM as you can afford, and don't necessarily get it from apple when you buy the machine (third party ram can be hundreds of dollars cheaper). if you can afford 2gb, do it, but I would recommend at least 1gb. [/edit]

Jun 26, 2006 at 3:58 PM Post #14 of 53
Well I'm gonna head to the apple store near my house to have a more in depth look at the macbook pro. I don't think I'll ever make a full switch to mac, but I wouldn't mind being able to spend more time with OSX, cause based on the time I've spent using it, it definitely was nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back