recommend me a headphone/amp combo
Nov 10, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #16 of 19
There are better sounding headphones than the beats for it's price, but I don't get why people keep saying they're over priced.  The studio version is definitely NOT over priced.  It's an active noise cancelling headphone that comes with an integrated headphone amp.  $299 for noise cancelling headphones and an amp isn't a bad deal - it's not great mind you, but it's definitely not bad.

A little bit about EQing with your laptop (I assume you're going to want to do this if there isn't enough oomph to you):  When you want to boost the bass more than just a little bit (say, more than 2-4db), leave the bass at 0db and move everything else down.  I say this because if you raise the bass more than just a little bit, you're likely going to overdrive your laptops output.

Nov 10, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #18 of 19
@HibyPrime: If there are headphones that achieve what the Beats does for less money, I think it's fair to call the Beats overpriced. Some people have found alternatives to the Beats which do just that--in their opinion.

What's this about an integrated amp inside the Beats Studio? If there is one, then the signal is being amplified twice--once by the source, as is evident from the fact that we can control volume at the source (e.g.: on the iPod, computer, CD player), and then a second time in the Beats Studio? Double amplification like that is unnecessary.

As for noise cancellation, let's bear in mind that not everyone wants it. For some, it's just not needed, and for others, there is the belief that it negatively affects the sound quality. In both cases, it would mean the feature adds no value to the price point.

Nov 10, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #19 of 19

Quote:
@HibyPrime: If there are headphones that achieve what the Beats does for less money, I think it's fair to call the Beats overpriced. Some people have found alternatives to the Beats which do just that--in their opinion.

What's this about an integrated amp inside the Beats Studio? If there is one, then the signal is being amplified twice--once by the source, as is evident from the fact that we can control volume at the source (e.g.: on the iPod, computer, CD player), and then a second time in the Beats Studio? Double amplification like that is unnecessary.

As for noise cancellation, let's bear in mind that not everyone wants it. For some, it's just not needed, and for others, there is the belief that it negatively affects the sound quality. In both cases, it would mean the feature adds no value to the price point.

Both bolded points are very true.

Many people don't use an LOD with their ipod, but still amp it anyway.  I've never done this, so I can't say if it increases SQ, but people say it does.

Maybe I should revise my statement a bit then;  if you are looking for noise cancelling headphones, and plan on amping your headphones from an ipod without an LOD, then beats are not over priced.

Even still, I'm not recommending them.  I think SQ is more important than features, but thats a personal decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back