Recommend me a good mp3 player and some good IEMs
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:17 PM Post #16 of 27
Don’t know about the Comet’s didn’t listen to them this time. Have the 1More Quads and Triples and nothing especially great about them as compared to what ? In this price range for bass you will find it hard to better the iBasso IT01 but they are over ear. I also like my Echobox Finder X1’s they are a bit on the bright side but still like them and can be worn cable down. Not for sure what you’re problem is with over ear iems as there are more that sound pretty good but if that is what you want then that’s what you want.

Oct 10, 2018 at 7:22 AM Post #17 of 27
I'm a casual listener so I like it better when I can just plug the headphones in and listen to them, without having to adjust them and put them around my ears first. That's why I prefer the normal ones. But it seems like the over-ear ones are much better quality than the normal ones?

Oct 10, 2018 at 10:15 AM Post #18 of 27
I'm a casual listener so I like it better when I can just plug the headphones in and listen to them, without having to adjust them and put them around my ears first. That's why I prefer the normal ones. But it seems like the over-ear ones are much better quality than the normal ones?

It’s not necessarily quality, but fit. You’re right in that they may take a little longer to wear, what with wrapping them over your ear, but by doing so, they stay in your ear better, and there is lesser microphonics.

Oct 10, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #19 of 27
It’s not necessarily quality, but fit. You’re right in that they may take a little longer to wear, what with wrapping them over your ear, but by doing so, they stay in your ear better, and there is lesser microphonics.

Micro-phonics and fit don't really concern me. But over-the-ear is so "unorthodox" (and it feels unfair). I don't have a problem, really, but if I can find a better deal in "cable-down" styled headphones then I'd prefer those. Though the iBasso IT01s are stuck in my mind because of how great and unique they look and are built. And the B400s too because I can't stop imagining how great they would sound. But cable-down over anything else because that's what I've always had, it's necessary. :D

I just need more help from you people to decide.

Oct 11, 2018 at 5:40 AM Post #21 of 27
Oh, people also really like Periodic IEMs, those are/can be worn down.

Would you seriously recommend them though over all the other choices? I have a question: Should I go for an mp3 player like the Cayin N3 (choice based on reviews) and 100$ IEMs (so far the iBasso IT01s) or should I spend the whole budget, around 200$, on an IEM like the Brainwavz B400 or Campfire Comet (these choices look good to me so far but still undecided on the cable-down ones).

Last edited:
Oct 11, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #22 of 27
Would you seriously recommend them though over all the other choices? I have a question: Should I go for an mp3 player like the Cayin N3 (choice based on reviews) and 100$ IEMs (so far the iBasso IT01s) or should I spend the whole budget, around 200$, on an IEM like the Brainwavz B400 or Campfire Comet (these choices look good to me so far but still undecided on the cable-down ones).

I haven't heard any of the cable-down options. I wouldn't personally buy the Periodic IEMs until they come out with models that have replaceable cables, b/c I find cables tend to break long before other parts of most earphones.

I can definitely endorse the IT01 at their price point, though.

Whether you should pick up a DAP or not is largely down to your preferences in terms of how you want to listen. If you use spotify or tidal, for convenience's a phone is usually the way to go. But if you have your own library and you like having physical volume and playback controls, a DAP is nice to have.

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:27 PM Post #23 of 27
I haven't heard any of the cable-down options. I wouldn't personally buy the Periodic IEMs until they come out with models that have replaceable cables, b/c I find cables tend to break long before other parts of most earphones.

I can definitely endorse the IT01 at their price point, though.

Whether you should pick up a DAP or not is largely down to your preferences in terms of how you want to listen. If you use spotify or tidal, for convenience's a phone is usually the way to go. But if you have your own library and you like having physical volume and playback controls, a DAP is nice to have.

If I need an mp3, should I just go for a "DAP"? From your own experiences, what does a DAP really give you that normally you can't get? How would you feel using a DAP when you'd never used one? Also, should I just skip B400s and just get the iBasso IT01s? As their looks really attract me. Thanks for the help dude. :)

Oct 11, 2018 at 3:41 PM Post #24 of 27
If I need an mp3, should I just go for a "DAP"? From your own experiences, what does a DAP really give you that normally you can't get? How would you feel using a DAP when you'd never used one? Also, should I just skip B400s and just get the iBasso IT01s? As their looks really attract me. Thanks for the help dude. :)

A decent or better DAP (digital audio player / mp3 player / etc.) will have better audio performance -- higher quality DAC and amp chips, better parts, etc. It's also designed to play music, and will often have physical controls like a volume knob, which is a really nice thing to have IMO. But there are also downsides to many DAPs, when compared to smartphones. Outdated hardware and/or operating systems, sluggish UIs, etc. A phone will usually have a much better overall user experience, especially if you need something that runs apps of any kind, including Spotify or Tidal. There are DAPs that also can handle that, but my understanding is the ones that do it seamlessly are at the upper end of the price spectrum.

I would say, when researching DAPs, pay attention to the parts of the review that discuss the UI, just as much as to the parts that focus on the sound. There's no right or wrong kind of UI, but there are very different approaches, and you might really prefer one over another.

I haven't heard the B400, so I can't speak to the comparison personally. As for the IT01, it's a great value. Really good bass. Some describe them as L-shaped, some describe them as V-shaped. Some folks are not in love with the mids, finding them to be a little too recessed or a little congested. (I would fall into that camp) Others find the mids just right. Either way, overall it's a very pleasant and versatile sound. Sound good on anything, but they do respond to differences in what amp/source you plug them into. They're also sturdy, lightweight, and comfortable for most wearers.

People really love the cable, which is soft, not microphonic, and looks like it belongs on a much more expensive IEM. However, some folks have found QC issues with the wiring on the cable, FWIW. I also personally find the cable to be a little bit too short, but I don't think that's a common complaint.

Oct 12, 2018 at 7:59 AM Post #25 of 27
A decent or better DAP (digital audio player / mp3 player / etc.) will have better audio performance -- higher quality DAC and amp chips, better parts, etc. It's also designed to play music, and will often have physical controls like a volume knob, which is a really nice thing to have IMO. But there are also downsides to many DAPs, when compared to smartphones. Outdated hardware and/or operating systems, sluggish UIs, etc. A phone will usually have a much better overall user experience, especially if you need something that runs apps of any kind, including Spotify or Tidal. There are DAPs that also can handle that, but my understanding is the ones that do it seamlessly are at the upper end of the price spectrum.

I would say, when researching DAPs, pay attention to the parts of the review that discuss the UI, just as much as to the parts that focus on the sound. There's no right or wrong kind of UI, but there are very different approaches, and you might really prefer one over another.

I haven't heard the B400, so I can't speak to the comparison personally. As for the IT01, it's a great value. Really good bass. Some describe them as L-shaped, some describe them as V-shaped. Some folks are not in love with the mids, finding them to be a little too recessed or a little congested. (I would fall into that camp) Others find the mids just right. Either way, overall it's a very pleasant and versatile sound. Sound good on anything, but they do respond to differences in what amp/source you plug them into. They're also sturdy, lightweight, and comfortable for most wearers.

People really love the cable, which is soft, not microphonic, and looks like it belongs on a much more expensive IEM. However, some folks have found QC issues with the wiring on the cable, FWIW. I also personally find the cable to be a little bit too short, but I don't think that's a common complaint.

Thanks for this great and detailed reply! I think I'll go for over-ears probably, but I still can't decide between my choices. If a guy is trying to find the right sound, will 100$ IEMs be enough?

Are there any cable-down IEMs you would personally recommend for 50-200$?

Oct 12, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #26 of 27
Thanks for this great and detailed reply! I think I'll go for over-ears probably, but I still can't decide between my choices. If a guy is trying to find the right sound, will 100$ IEMs be enough?

Are there any cable-down IEMs you would personally recommend for 50-200$?

Sorry, all my IEMs are worn with the cable over the ear. If non-isolating earbuds are of interest, the Venture Electronics Zen is one I can recommend firsthand. (Might take a bit of power to drive though.)

As far as price point -- it really all depends on what specifically you're looking for and how picky you are. The IT01 is fantastic at its price point, and from what I've heard the B400 is also very good. I haven't listened to those, but if you look around, I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find reviews that compare them. Or maybe do a search in one of the chi-fi threads like this one: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/bes...nd-impressions-sharing-reference-list.805930/

Pretty sure you'll also find some recommendations in those threads for cable-down options from folks who are more informed than me, since they actually own some. : )

Another thing you might try since you're not sure if over-ear cable format works for you, is try something cheap like the TRN V20. That's a $20-25 IEM that honestly sounds really good and has a versatile tuning. It's not extremely v-shaped like some chi-fi IEMs, which I appreciate. It doesn't have the bass of the IT01, but it has better mids and soundstage/imaging, actually.

Oct 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #27 of 27
Hey, thanks again for helping me out! I've already tried over-the-ear since the bluetooth Xiaomi Sport headphones I use for gym are like that. It's not bad, but cable-down is so much more natural, I just prefer that. I'm leaning more towards the over-the-ear ones now though, mainly because I'm not sure on how great the cable-down options would be.

Thanks dude. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back