Recommend me a DAC/AMP combo or separate
Jul 16, 2009 at 9:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Kawai_man

500+ Head-Fier
I want to buy my first amp and DAC, For home use.

My sources will be my Cowon S9 50%, Digital piano 30%, , Macbook pro 20%

My headphones are Ultrasone Proline 650s, Alessandro MS1, and Ultrasone HFi2200

Ideally Id like to spend 100-120 but Id be able to stretch it to 160. Im open to buying used

I wouuld prefer to get a separate amp and DAC I figure it would probably be less bulky than a combo, since I would be moving the amp around from my bedside to my piano to computer

Jul 16, 2009 at 2:17 PM Post #4 of 13
Check out the Musiland/DIYEDEN SVDAC06 also, for about $120. There have been issues with the build quality of the Zero's, and the Musiland's look pretty well built.

Jul 16, 2009 at 7:59 PM Post #5 of 13
The quality issues on the Zero make it dicouraging to buy for me.

The musiland would be Great except I read you cant use it with an MP3 because it doesnt have an analog input only digital

I read that the DAC of the Musiland is great though and you can connect to an external amp via the line out to bypass the built in amp. Do they just sell the DAC alone for less maybe this one http://cgi.ebay.com/USB-Digital-Soun...3%3A1|294%3A50 that way I could buy a separate amp that i could also use with my Mp3 player and Digital Piano

Jul 17, 2009 at 2:25 AM Post #6 of 13
Jul 17, 2009 at 10:53 PM Post #7 of 13
The aune looks great, but for 50$ more the ef2 is really tempting and it uses tubes and it looks pretty portable for a tube amp ,for home of course

Is it possible to get a separate home amp and DAC with the same or superior sound quality of those combos under 200?

Jul 17, 2009 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 13
I would avoid the Zero, it has a reputation for being un-reliable, which is a pity as it's a neat unit. There are a bunch of DAC/amp combos from China all over ebay that look interesting though.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:25 AM Post #11 of 13
I don't get why the OP wants separate dac and amp; it is in most cases less portable and inevitably more expensive. Yes it is better if you're thinking of long-term upgrade path, but not when you're tight on budget.

Anyway, found a decent review of the Aune:
Mini USB DAC Review « i-Review-u

I was thrilled at the option of opamp rolling, design that supposedly mimicks Solo amp, and very solid build. I bought one for 145 on ebay, and will post some review if anyone wants it.

Jul 18, 2009 at 7:53 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't get why the OP wants separate dac and amp; it is in most cases less portable and inevitably more expensive. Yes it is better if you're thinking of long-term upgrade path, but not when you're tight on budget.

I was thrilled at the option of opamp rolling, design that supposedly mimicks Solo amp, and very solid build. I bought one for 145 on ebay, and will post some review if anyone wants it.

I was just wondering if it was posible to Better quailty with separate units at the price point, I am planning on upgrading later on. I thought it would be more portable since the dac and amp were separate and would not be as bulky as some other combos Id seen,

I have been considering the aune and the ef2 and i decided to go with the Aune which is about 60 dollars less.

I am interested in reading your review
atsmile.gif

Mar 28, 2010 at 5:23 AM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by shasty /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi shasty,

Based on how you list out your gears (Aune - MS2 / A2), I would assume that you connect the Aune to A2 as well. How does this work? Through the rca at the back? Ive heard the rca lineout from the Aune is not powered at all. Do you use another stereo amp? or do you just simply connect it to the speakers using rca and plug the MS2 into the headphone jack at the front when using headphone?

I am considering the Aune too. Although it's gonna be mainly for my MS1i, but i just happen to have a pair of Creative T40 (powered) that I sometime listen to as well. That's why i asked.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back