Recommend me a CS4398 DAC, (coming from a EMU1212M)
Nov 12, 2014 at 12:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

sonci

500+ Head-Fier
Hi
I've always liked the sound signature of my EMU1212M, very detailed, a bit analytical and a punchy bass,
I don't know if this sound is due to the CS4398 DAC chip in the card, 
but I really want to try something external, with a similar sound but of course better..

Unfortunately it seems the CS4398 is not very popular lately, I see the Topping D3 but there are few reviews about it,
Any recommendation?

Nov 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM Post #2 of 14
Budget for this external DAC?
Is this for music? movies? gaming? audio production?
Are you looking for a DAC with a built in headphone amplifier?

I think Creative Labs might be using the CS4398 DAC chip in some of their external DAC/sound cards.

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:24 AM Post #3 of 14
How about Lynx Hilo?  
evil_smiley.gif

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM Post #4 of 14
  Budget for this external DAC?
Is this for music? movies? gaming? audio production?
Are you looking for a DAC with a built in headphone amplifier?

I think Creative Labs might be using the CS4398 DAC chip in some of their external DAC/sound cards.

The budget is limited up to 400$, only music of course,
I don't use my headphones that much, but if the amp is included, why not..

How about Lynx Hilo?  
evil_smiley.gif

I wish I could afford it..

Nov 13, 2014 at 12:15 PM Post #5 of 14
I think there should be a lot of EMU 1212M owners around here, and at this time most of them have upgraded to something better,
so, what are you using? 

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #6 of 14
  I think there should be a lot of EMU 1212M owners around here, and at this time most of them have upgraded to something better,
so, what are you using? 

Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15. external DAC/amp, $270+shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
Comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs.

Dual WM8741 DAC chip :)

Line-output for your speakers
Also has a good headphone amplifier.

Nov 13, 2014 at 4:38 PM Post #7 of 14

Check out the Audio-GD NFB-15. external DAC/amp, $270+shipping.
http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/NFB1532/NFB15.32EN.htm
Comes with USB, optical & coaxial inputs.

Dual WM8741 DAC chip :)

Line-output for your speakers
Also has a good headphone amplifier.

Thanks

Nov 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 14
I own some CS439x dac (I don't remember which one exactly, some tiny HK-dac board) and I like it very much. But I think the real question you need to ask is: "what output stage should I choose" since that makes the most difference in soundquality. I use the CS439x with a tubed I/V stage (tweaked to the hilt). Then there are discrete I/V stages that work very well and then there are the opamp stages. I wish you good luck to find any DAC with anything other than opamps for <$500. With one exception...

And that brings me to the main fundamental question that comes even before "which CS dac" and that is, "what type of dac should I choose". There is a fundamental difference between sigma-delta (low bit, high oversampling) dacs that need massive filtering and a good I/V stage and ladder dacs (NOS dacs) that hardly need anything after the dac because the signal is a lot cleaner and stronger. The dac I wrote about in the first paragraph I hardly use al all. Never actually. Just for demonstrations. I use a simple (also modified) NOS dac that is ridiculously cheap and sounds more natural, less stressed and less artificial in the highs. Highs are less pungent but more detailed because they are simply cleaner.

Nov 14, 2014 at 5:18 PM Post #11 of 14
I own some CS439x dac (I don't remember which one exactly, some tiny HK-dac board) and I like it very much. But I think the real question you need to ask is: "what output stage should I choose" since that makes the most difference in soundquality. I use the CS439x with a tubed I/V stage (tweaked to the hilt). Then there are discrete I/V stages that work very well and then there are the opamp stages. I wish you good luck to find any DAC with anything other than opamps for <$500. With one exception...

And that brings me to the main fundamental question that comes even before "which CS dac" and that is, "what type of dac should I choose". There is a fundamental difference between sigma-delta (low bit, high oversampling) dacs that need massive filtering and a good I/V stage and ladder dacs (NOS dacs) that hardly need anything after the dac because the signal is a lot cleaner and stronger. The dac I wrote about in the first paragraph I hardly use al all. Never actually. Just for demonstrations. I use a simple (also modified) NOS dac that is ridiculously cheap and sounds more natural, less stressed and less artificial in the highs. Highs are less pungent but more detailed because they are simply cleaner.

Actually I have a NOS DAC, The Moodlab Concept, no opamp in the output stage, its not bad, if you want smooth relaxed music, 
but if you like the microdetails its no match for the EMU, yes I like that kind of analytical sound
normal_smile .gif
, I like the stressed highs,  tube DACs are not for me..
actually I don`t know if the sound of a DAC is determined by the dac chip, or by its implementation, opamps, etc and honestly I don`t care..
I`m reading the Sabre dac has that kind of sound, but I think its out of my budget

Nov 16, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #12 of 14
I have a NOS DAC, The Moodlab Concept, no opamp in the output stage, its not bad, if you want smooth relaxed music, but if you like the microdetails its no match for the EMU, yes I like that kind of analytical sound I like the stressed highs, tube DACs are not for me..

I looked up the Mood-Lab and I think it is bound to sound weak, it would actually have benefited from an opamp. I see something in there near the output that destroys the sound if it is what I think it is. And it's way overpriced! Comparing apples with bananas.
actually I don`t know if the sound of a DAC is determined by the dac chip, or by its implementation, opamps, etc and honestly I don`t care..

No, you like exaggerated unnatural sound. But obviously you already have all the answers... And you don't care. I am honestly trying to help you but if you don't care or are unable to think about what I am saying there is no need in helping.

I said; step one is the type of dac method, then there are the chips involved, how many, and then there's the filtering and I/V. But obviously none of this has any bearing on the sound you say. So I suggest you just go to the shop and pick one and be (un)happy with it. Or let go of your prejudices.

Nov 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM Post #13 of 14
Sorry, I read my post and it sounds stupid, 
I just need a good DAC to stick for some time, my previous buys were generally failures, 

Nov 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM Post #14 of 14
This DAC started life as an "upgraded" D2.5A Zhaolu. I have compared 2.5A and 2.5C and preferred this version for its musicality. It was around $225 back then if recollection serves me right. From the DAC board, the Zhaolu provides balanced digital outs. I then purchased the zapfilter II from LCAudio for about $275. this is the newer version with upgraded power resistors on the PSU. Zapfilter II is an analog output stage with discrete components providing both SE and balanced analog outputs.

http://www.lcaudio.com/index.php?page=6

Mods installed:

separate PSUs for DAC and analog stage
XLR and RCA outputs
original HP amp and output stage have been removed but are included in this sale

Breakdown:

Zhaolu D2.5A               - $225
Zapfilter II                    - $275
Switchcraft connectors  - $20

Many hours of planning and elbow grease to give it a professional and OEM looking end-product

Now on to the pics -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back